1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ipad Screen Replacement... Anyone Done It ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Camp Rusty, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heynow Gamblers :poker:

After several years of successfully not cracking a phone or tablet screen I finally did........just a corner and only one small spider web crack but still sort of bugs me.

Looks like Apple wants about three hundred dollars to do it, now way is it worth that to me.....but a kit to do it at home is under thirty.

Watched a couple Youtubes and it seems pretty straight forward and the little tools required come in the kit, except the heat gun or hair dryer.

Just wondering if any one here has tried, and if it was as easy as it looks.

2. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It really depends on how the damage occurred. If the outer metal frame is in any way misshapen, even in the tiniest bit, then it's likely that your screen will crack again as the metal puts excess pressure on the glass.

If it cracked because something dropped on top of it or it was pressed in too hard then you're probably ok doing it yourself or with a repair service.

3. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks MiamiDave.....

Good thought.......that had not occured to me.

The frame looks dead straight after laying it on a glass table and checking all the sides.

I have a heat gun, but may see if I can borrow a hair dryer instead to loosen up the seal. The heat gun just gets so hot I worry about melting the innards.

Thanks again :beer:

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took mine to a kiosk in the mall, I think they did it for about $80 a couple years ago. I looked at a video and it seemed like too much detailed work for me, I'm a bit of a bull in a China shop. I don't have the patience for that stuff.

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you're Brave to attempt to fix it yourself. I would destroy it for sure. Let us know how it goes.

I dropped my original iPad and ended up taking it to a place that seemed to be run by College Students.
    When I got it back there was a Fingerprint on the underside of the glass so I had them do it over again.
    I guess what I'm saying is - Wear Gloves!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  6. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $80.....if I can find that around here I think I would go for that, with the kit at $30 that is fifty bucks I would spend and feel like I was getting a deal. I will check around. Thanks !

Good idea on the gloves.....hadn't thought of that, a big ol' thumb print on the bottom side of the glass would make me crazy, would much prefer the crack :):):)

7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $300 is an insane price.

We have a lot of apple refurb places here in my metro. Look around. Google ipad/iphone repair in (insert name of city/state/whatever)

I paid about $60 for a new iphone screen. Have not fixed an ipad but I know they would do so.

8. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The home button on my iPad mini was not working correctly I asked how much it cost to repair. They said they had to replace the screen as well and it was going to be around $100. I think it was at a gadget grave.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son changed his. bought one on amazon and did it himself. It was quite a lengthy involved process that had him pretty much take 90% of the thing apart. Not something i would want to do myself. Its not like its the whole plastic lid, its just the actually inner screen under the plastic lid that you get. wires and such everywhere plus you have to pry the plastuic pieces apart, not easy at all unless you have some experience in that sort if thing.

10. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done it a few times on iPhones - an iPad is no different, just a much bigger piece of glass

Some things to keep in mind (and which is why Apple charges $300 and the mall charges $80 and eBays sells it for $30) --

-- If it has TouchID (the metal ring around the home button) - TouchID is coded to the processor for security reasons. You'll need to take the old one out and put it into the new glass so it matches the processor.

-- $80 is probably just the glass. Ie: your not getting the digitizer (the mechanism behind the glass that actually records touches) - I tried doing this replacement years ago and totally failed - if taking off the glass cuts or breaks the digitizer in any way - you'll need a new digitizer. If you don't line them up properly; attach them properly - more problems. Try to find a glass replacement with the digitizer already attached - this will save you a lot of pain - it costs just a bit more, but the process will go from hours to probably a half hour

-- as the glass is much bigger then on an iPhone, you should get some specialty tools - https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPad - They have guides for all Apple products (and others, if you ever need them) - In the guide, they tell you which tools you'll need - suction cups, size screw driver head, etc... and sell them to you. I have their screw driver set and it's really nice / precision stuff. Even if I think I know what I'm doing, I still check them first and see what they recommend / process.

Good luck - Apple stuff has gotten to the point of so much glue, specialty screws and such that I don't bother anymore and just find a repair shop to do it. Not worth it breaking it more or cutting my hand on glass or wasting hours of my time when I can just throw someone $100 and get it done in a half hour...

11. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

So much good info.....thanks.

I shall start my search for a repair in the $100 range, my labor rate versus my frustration rate on something like this makes way more sense at a hundred bucks.

Thanks everyone !

12. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The identical issue just happened to me last night. My home button just went dead. I brought my iPad to our neighborhood computer repair shop. The tech said in order to try to clean the button, they would have to take my iPad apart for a cost of $200. Even the tech didn't recommend it as he said they can never guarantee if the glass will break or not during such a repair.

He went into my settings, general, accessibility, assistive touch. There is now an icon on my screen that works identical to your home button. For sure it will be an adjustment for me, but at $200 for repair on an older iPad, I would have probably bit the bullet and bought a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.