1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

IPad Question For Tech Nerds

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am becoming increasingly aware that there is nothing I can do on a computer that I can't do with an iPad or my iPhone from that matter.

I have been trying to save for a new laptop but I'm getting nowhere fast. So, I'm thinking iPad.

My question: Can the iPhone be synced with the iPad? Also, can an external DVD drive (for downloading some of my audio CD's) be connected to the iPad?

Also, can I add this to my Verizon account or can I just use wifi?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  2. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, there are many things you can do with computer but can't do with iPad or iPhone.
    You already listed one, connecting DVD drive.
    Copying DVD or BlueRay disc is another thing I do very often on my computer but can't be done with an iPad.

3. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes you can sync your devices together with your itunes/apple account so that texts, notifications, photos, music etc show up on both.

You cannot hook up an external drive. You would need a laptop and itunes to transfer your music to your devices. I basically sucked it up and paid for Apple Music so I can download or listen to anything I want. It's the price of an album a month is the way I look at it.

Not sure what you mean about your Verizon account. If you mean your home internet you would need to connect your devices to it through Wifi to use that internet.

There is also Apple TV which can bridge your devises to your tv.

4. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can sync your iPhone with an iPad. It's called iCloud and it's awesome. Sometimes Verizon offers deals on tablets if you agree to service. And no, you can't use an external DVD drive with an iPad. The iPad start at $329 wifi version. I wouldn't recommend the iPad mini, screen is to small IMHO.

Good luck.

5. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apple Music is the best bargain in tech. I'm part of the family plan at $15 a month. That's $2.50 per user.

6. Bcartel

Bcartel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Although there aren't any disc drives you can plug into an IPad, there are many different ways to import data. You can connect to a PC and use it like a flash drive. Or use a hosting service, like Dropbox, to import files. In addition, you can save files via email.
      I would suggest finding an IPad with WiFi. Since WiFi is free at so many places. And you can use your phone as a hotspot.

7. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes you can buy wifi only or wifi plus cellular to connect to a service like Verizon. To add the cellular antenna the price is usually around 129$ more. You will also have some sort of monthly charge through the carrier of your choice.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can buy movies and tv shows on Applestore.

You can download some Netflix movies to ipad or pc. Same with Amazon Prime Video. And Starz.

The is an app called PLAYON that lets you record stuff and download as well.

And, if you can rip a movie to your PC, you can transfer to IPAD.

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the great replies!!!

10. YukonSloMo

YukonSloMo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you realize how convenient an iPad is, you will wonder how you did without it. I remember being at MB during a Maroon 5 concert a few years ago talking with another couple that were sitting with us in our box seats. They were talking about having two iPads, often communicating back and forth in that manner. My wife and I looked at each other, later commenting how insane that sounded. Well guess what.....

11. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to clarify one point: You can't sync your iPhone with your iPad "per se". I'm not saying that to be pedantic, but its an important point to understand when it comes to certain app data behaviors. Your iphone and iPad can both sync to your icloud account. Apps thst sync data with icloud will sync with both devices and icloud and essentially be the same on both devices. Some apps have their own cloud based sync method. There are other apps that don't sync to a cloud and won't be the same between devices. Pop mail accounts for example won't sync between devices. Depending on how you have your "delete when..." setting configured, new messages could end up on one or both devices and messages deleted from one device won't reflect as deleted on the other. This behaviour is only for POP mail servers and not imap and exchange. imap and exchange sync to the mail servers so you don't have that trouble.

Also as others have said, there are many things you can't do on an iPad that you can do on a full computer. It's only a matter of whether you need any of those functions. People who say that you can do anything on an iPad that you can on a computer must not have encountered something THEY need that an iPad doesn't do.

Just for reference, I use and support both PC and iPad/iPone and regularly use all three myself. I could never give up my PC alltogether, but outside of work I can usually go without my computer and strictly use my iPad for an extended amount of time as long as I don't need to do certain things. I never travel with my computer anymore and strictly use my ipad when away from home. A windows based tablet type computer would probably be a better full PC replacement than an iOS device in my opinion.

12. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have an iPad Air2. I love being able to use that to 'clean up' photos I take on my phone - seriously do I need 7 pictures of the same waterfall from up north last fall? Too hard to figure out which is best on the phone screen. (yeah that sounds like a stupid reason but that's me!)

I still have a laptop at home. Simply because I type all day long on a normal keyboard at around 85 wpm. It's hard for me to adapt to typing on the iPad so I'm comfy with the laptop. However I love not having to haul a laptop along with when I am traveling.

I have no cellular data on mine - only use wifi.

13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, thank you but you totally lost me.

I cannot afford a pc and an iPad, so I think I am going with the Dell Inspiron l3558-0954.

I think it has what I want, including an optical drive. One thing that throws me is It comes with 6 gigs of RAM, but I think that is expandable.

14. lostfido

lostfido I push my fingers into my eyes

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a huge fan of Plex
    Install the app on you IPad, IPhone etc and put the program on your home PC or laptop(wherever you have the media) and you can sync to the plex app on phone or IPad.
    Now what ever you have on your home PC/laptop is available anywhere you have wireless/data.
    I use it for movies on flights and to have my choice of tunes wherever I go.

15. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly don't use my iPad Pro anywhere near as much as my Macbook Pro. Even on the couch, I'd rather flip open the laptop then grab the iPad. And I have the keyboard cover and Pencil and it's still easier to go for the laptop.

I use the iPad on flights and at vendor events - I'll put a hand grip on the iPad and show our product on it while the laptop runs monitors on the kiosk or I'll bring it with me when I go to friends and families houses in case of work emergency. I "can" do everything work related from the iPad across multiple apps so it's just which do I risk damaging / traveling with - a $1200 iPad or a $1300 MBP...

If you have neither / are looking to buy, I'd buy a laptop before an iPad. If you have a laptop and want something more portable - then I'd recommend an iPad.

16. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For which one to buy an important thing is to look at your everyday needs.

Do you need a laptop for something other than ripping audio CDs? That sounds like something you will probably do for one or two hours every year or two, not something that you will need for regular use.

Suprisingly, there are no external bluetooth storage devices (hard drive, DVD/CD drive, or external drive bays) but there are options:
    -> Find a friend or family member with a PC that you can take your CDs and ipad to and rip them there
    -> Check if there are any internet cafes or PC gaming centers in your area where you can rip the CDs and transfer the files to your computer (they usually charge $3-5 per hour to use their computers)

A couple of thoughts here:
    -> When looking at laptops are you keeping your needs in perspective? When shopping for a laptop at the local big box electronics store you probably see a lot of them going for $800-1500... but is that what you need? Most of those are going to be souped up to run some of the latest and greatest games, but if you are mostly just playing a few games, doing web stuff, etc then there are laptops that go for as low as $150-200 (and thats still with decent 11-14" monitor sizes) - thats about half the price of an ipad
    -> Are you married to the Apple brand? You could get a very good Android tablet from somebody like Samsung for about $100 less

A tablet that isn't an iPad won't be able to sync with your phone, but I mention that because a middle of the road iPad runs around $400 and for close to the same price ($440) you could get one of the better Samsung tablets AND get a basic laptop - that laptop would struggle to run some of the latest video games, but for basic stuff and internet it would be fine, and the Samsung tablet would be just as powerful as the iPad, just as said: not able to sync with your phone.

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breeze, HP is having a sale until July 8, but then again, they always seem to be having some kind of sale. I've never owned a HP laptop, but some family members have had good experiences. I am using a Compaq/HP desktop with Windows Vista that's about 7 years old and ready for retirement.

But I also have an iPad that is awesome, without a doubt it's the best "electronic" item I've owned.

Good luck!

http://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/july-4-sale?jumpid=ma_lt_featured_na_1_170129#laptops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.