1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Input on newer vehicle

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by kkinwi, Mar 19, 2021.

1. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hijack here for a moment! If they weren't so damn expensive, our next vehicle would be a R1t. One of the things I was most excited about watching Long Way Up for was to see the prototypes make that journey.

Price aside, my wife isn't ready for us to go BEV yet (she has range anxiety). We current have a PHEV and I can see us going one more PHEV before fully making the switch.

Returning after 10 years to Run the Strip
  2. topcard

topcard Vegas Has Re-Opened!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a 2020 Sport model...
    For normal driving, it's fine. If you're trying to accelerate from 0 to 70 on an entrance ramp, it does struggle a bit to get there, but it does get there. It does fine once you've reached your desired speed... and even that entrance-ramp situation is "better" if you activate 'Sport' mode... it accelerates quite well with that feature active.
    Gas mileage is not as good as one might think for a 4-cyl... I'm getting about 27 mpg, mix of city & highway driving.
    I do like all of the bells & whistles...and the price was great.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tigers4life

tigers4life Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am on my third Nisson Rogue and love it. Your budget will get you a newer one with 50,000 miles or so on it. (I just did a quick Carmax search near me so you can do better.) I have gone with the mid trim line AWD and been very happy

• Like Like x 1
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you had any issues with the CVT? I have read that this transmission has failed in as few as 35,000 miles. There are lots of these available from rental car fleets.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  5. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I am stuck between the Kia sportage and the Hyundai tucson........... any inputs ?

6. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. tigers4life

tigers4life Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @hammie never had any trouble with CVT really never had any trouble with the car at all. I love the safety features it comes with. I currently have 2019. But I go back to I think 2010. (One was lost to an accident that was not my fault)
    Keep looking and testing driving and you will figure it out. But do not overthink it either it is a big decision but in the end the differences in this category and subtle. Think about what is important to you - Cargo space, Rear seating Saftey features, Gas Millage etc. Each car has some advantages and disadvantages and then go with it and enjoy

8. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone! Lots of good suggestions.....I am somewhat limited by living several hours from Nissan and Subaru dealers. My repair guy has been excellent, but I will have to check with him about this.

9. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They share the same platform. Depends on which exterior and interior design you like more. I believe the only other difference is that the Sportage as a turbo 2.0l engine as an option. I'd say the Sportage is meant to be the sportier of the two.

The 2022 Tucson is completely new and I also believe it's using a new platform and a little larger.

Returning after 10 years to Run the Strip
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. nancyf

nancyf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we have a Toyota Rav4 and a Toyota Prius... its our 2nd Prius and I love it.... I know nothing about mechanics but I actually like both of our vehicles.

11. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So just wanted to update, since I received so many helpful replies! I ended up with a 2016 Camry.....49k miles and a 12k mile warranty (which was important to me buying a used vehicle). I drove several varieties, and pickings were pretty slim. I am super happy with the mpg, and I think have adjusted to the "car vs SUV". Winter may be a challenge, but I can take my husband's Ram if need be.
    Thanks to everyone for all your replies!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good choice

13. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not many used cars, not as many new cars (I saw on the news - can't remember the reduction from the past few years) Guess I'll be holding on to my car for the near future.....(I wasn't planning on getting a new car; I just fantasize sometimes.....)

Hope you enjoy the Camry! A very good & sensible choice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Little update on our Rogue - transmission blew up out of nowhere while driving on city street last week. If it had happened on highway, it could have been a disaster. After a little google machine time, it turns out these CVT's are basically crap. Nissan extended some warranty on this but, not enough for us. It has @ 124k miles. Up to this point it was great. We are putting in used tranny and hope to keep this going another 3 years.

The funny thing is when i purchased it, I had an Acura TSX with over 200,000 miles and thought i should get something new. I sold the Acura to a buddy for $500 with no promises. Guess who is still driving the Acura only spending money on oil, brakes etc????? It has over 300,000 miles now!

• Funny Funny x 2