1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

In Suite Reception?

Discussion in 'Vegas Weddings' started by fugsworth, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm curious to hear about folks' experiences with in-suite receptions. I presume most hotels, if they allow such a thing, expect you to use their catering. Also, are there any properties where it is easier (or harder) for guests to access the elevators if not staying at the property? Vegas has plenty of suites that would be well suited for entertaining, and I feel like this would be an attractive way to save money on a small-ish wedding-- but I'd hate to run afoul of any hotel policies and risk derailing the event.

EDC
  2. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the past I hosted many business gatherings in a hospitality suite. Most of the larger hotels have them. Never had any access problems either but all of the events were afternoon and early evening.

Here's a link to one at the Mirage.

2 Bedroom Hospitality Suite - The Mirage (mgmresorts.com)

• Like Like x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would depend alot on how many people and how much stuff you are planning to offer.

People do parties in suites all the time and bring in lots of food.

And, "officialy", almost all hotels have a no outside food or beverage. In reality, it is not enforced.

If you do cater via the hotel, be prepared for very high prices.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the way you worded this makes it sound like you don't want to use the hotel's services. So you have to try to fly completely under the radar.

So you've probably already made a list of things to think about and I'll just list a couple.

The elevator thing - if you were to use the hotel's services, they would coordinate guest access so your guests wouldn't have any trouble getting up. But they probably would enforce a maximum depending on the room size. Without using the hotel services it's easy - you just need to pick a hotel that doesn't have guards checking keys or require inserting a key. If there's no guards but you have to insert a key, then you'd have to either have people call you when they arrive and keep going up and down to fetch them, or get a volunteer to just keep going up and down to collect them without people having to call.

F&B - Bellmen will pretty much bring in anything short of a keg as long as you are being reasonably discreet. Getting groceries and bottles up to a room is generally not a problem, if you are shopping yourself, have the stuff boxed up (get boxes at the supermarket produce section or liquor store).

The exception would be big round food platters, they are not easy to hide, it would be hard to find a box big enough to hold them and you'd have to stack them, which could affect the appearance once you unwrap them. A bell guy might think twice about taking food platters up openly and notoriously (ie. unboxed), lol. A secondary issue with platters is timing - you don't want stuff sitting around for hours and even assuming your room has a fridge, it's probably not going to be big enough.

Assuming you get everything in, at that point, you don't really have anything to worry about unless you create a disturbance. Bring some big trash bags and clean up to make things easier for housekeeping, and leave a decent tip.

It's a lot of work and a decent amount of stress because wedding. You might want to get a quote just for catering food only (and still bring your own booze) and then decide. You don't have to go the whole nine yards and use their full-blown wedding services.

If you keep the food aspect simple, you might find it worth it to use the hotel. The first time I did a slot pull, I did a pre-M&G in my suite and ordered finger sandwiches and crudities/dip from Luxor for 15 people, the presentation was nice and it was "only" about $250, but that was 4 years ago and I'd expect it to cost more, I just looked at Aria's menu for that kind of stuff and it's a LOT more.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Chuck2009x Sorry, I probably should have been more clear- I have no problem using the hotel's services. I'm just trying to feel out the best way to go about it.

EDC
    • Like Like x 1
  6. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We held my 50th (a decade ago) in a wrap around terrace suite at Cosmo. We used an off site caterer and brought in our own liquor. The Bellman who brought the liquor up contacted Housekeeping for additional stemware. We had to meet the Caterer in the lobby and meet the guests to bring them up. This is at hotel discretion though; I imagine if we’d looked like a bunch of hell raisers, they may have denied us doing this. Cosmo does have onsite group catering as well. We attended a Christmas gathering @ardee hosted with Cosmo’s on-site Catering and it was lovely. We will go that route for any future gatherings we have at Cosmo for food and just bring in liquor.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SprintGravy

SprintGravy Gravy Train Conductor

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely go the hospitality suite route.

The one at Circa looks pretty dope

• Like Like x 2
  8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen security checking room keys at the following:
    Cosmo
    Aria
    Mirage
    Flamingo (hit and miss)

You'd have to work out a way for the guests up to the room in those hotels (usually just call you and you meet them near the elevator to take them up.)

9. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you do use hotel catering/room service, that makes things a lot easier. They will facilitate getting your guests up to the suite. There will be nice glassware/napkins/cutlery etc. If it’s going to be a small wedding they can provide flowers, decorations, chairs, and other things. You almost have to make the hotel aware that some sort of event is happening if you don’t want any chance the wedding might be “derailed” at the last minute by hotel policies! Bringing in outside catered food is not a risk I would be willing to take in the late pandemic environment.

I have done smallish parties/events (15-20 people or so) in hotel suites. You are right, it can save a lot of money and will be very nice at a top hotel. I ordered food from the hotel to get implicit approval for the “event” and then basically brought in beverages myself. Having a bartender in the room is possible but gets very expensive very quickly.

If the event is small, I would suggest working through room service rather than sales/catering since they will just take your order, set everything up, and leave. You don’t even have to tell them it’s a wedding, just a small group event. They won’t be trying to micromanage the event and upsell you on everything under the sun. If sales/catering gets a whiff of a wedding taking place, they will swoop in, the bill will skyrocket, and you won’t have much control of the event. Just call the hotel and ask to speak to the room service manager. Chances are they will want the business for themselves. You can give them an order a few days in advance and avoid a lot of fuss with sales/catering.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Boardintheworld

Boardintheworld Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had our reception in one of the suites at Mandalay Bay. Think we had maybe 30 people up there. Had a DJ, our own bartender and food catered from outside the hotel. This was also 10 years ago so things might have changed. But back then we had no problems.

11. CaliforniaGent

CaliforniaGent Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a former hotel manager, I can tell you that many hotels will shut you down if you are having a party in a standard suite/room and your neighbors complain, but probably won't care much about having your own food and bev. If nobody on your floor causes a fuss most managers will turn a blind eye, but you never know who you'll end up with next door or across the hall. Obviously this depends on the quality of the hotel.

Safe bet is always a designated party suite, even if you don't want it catered.

12. ColoVegPlayer

ColoVegPlayer Speed Running for Noir

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For what it's worth, during DefCon one of the companies there booked a suite at Ballys (not sure which kind, it had a kitchen area/living area and a separate bedroom), and brought their own food and drinks in. We were all able to get up the elevator with no issue and security/the hotel never shut it down.

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you use the hotel catering, expect to spend LOTS of money. Saving and hotel catering are polar opposites.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LAdoesVegas

LAdoesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you do a Google Search for "The Knot Las Vegas Message Board" you will find a message board on the Knot's wedding website with information about A LOT of people pulling off in-suite receptions and weddings at various hotels. Almost all of the information is 2-7 years old, but it definitely gives you an idea of the companies able to help you & how other people have achieved this in the past. Good luck!

15. myhappyplace

myhappyplace Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did an in suite reception but it was 10 years or so ago. It was at Flamingo and we booked one of the bigger suites through the wedding chapel. We had it catered from a local deli and had our wedding cake brought in. We didn't have any problems at all. We had around 35 people. Most were staying at Flamingo so no problem with elevators. We have a friend that bought all the liquor locally and the bell desk brought it all up on a cart. We did make sure to tip well. That was of course way before Covid so I don't know if they would have tighter restrictions now. I found a wealth of information on "the Knot Vegas Message Board".

16. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    UPDATE: Mandalay Bay has installed keycard readers in their elevators that service the penthouse floors (including the crystal room elevator). This change includes those elevators that service regular guest rooms and the spa/beach level. These elevators will not take you to a floor you are not coded to access. This changeover occurred sometime in 2018 or early 2019.

As of July 2021 (our most recent trip) the keycard readers were still in use on the penthouse floor elevators including the crystal room elevator.

The Crystal room at MB might work for your reception.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.