1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

If you had one day in New Orleans....

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by yoyoseven, Dec 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Grizzled Vereran

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are the one or two "must see and/or do things"?

My girl and I are taking advantage of an Mlife junket to Beau Rivage in Biloxi (in early February). I'm thinking of renting a car in Biloxi and driving to New Orleans to spend one night.

I've never been there, and I'm looking for suggestions on where to stay, what to see (in a short amount of time), and where to have a nice dinner (I know the dining options are pretty vast). I would classify the budget as "healthy".

Obviously, a walking tour of Rue Bourbon is already in the game plan.

Any and all opinions are welcome!

Thanks in advance, yoyo

2. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy New Orleans, but nothing is a true Must see or must do. That said, I would go to the WWII museum

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d have brunch at The Court of Two Sisters. If that were my only meal of the trip and I died on the way back to the airport, I’d at least die happy. Greatness.

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't spend much time on Bourbon St. Walk through en route to something more interesting ;-) We go every couple of years for a trade show and spend a weekend before or after doing some fun/touristy things (not gambling - though we've been to CET once) Last trip, we did a walking cocktail tour (DIY, though you can actually book tours that do it as well)

Drinks (happy hour?) Cane & Table was my favorite but this was the route we took:
    Cane & Table, happy hour M-F 3-6pm
    Cure Happy hour F -Sun 3-7pm (Same owners as Cane & Table)
    Broussard's
    Erin Rose
    Arnaud's French 75
    Napoleon House
    Domenica

We enjoyed the WWII museum (the cafe there is excellent) but not sure I'd recommend that for a 1 day first trip (I was a history major in college, husband a big military history buff - it was still the 4th or 5th trip of ours after it opened before we made it there....)

For dinner, we love Cochon and Cochon Butcher but they're in Warehouse district. In French Quarter, I think Sylvain is my favorite. Green Goddess is fun and funky - and great for vegetarians.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First day - get settled in hotel.
    Walk along waterfront one way, and then back through the French Quarter the other way. If you have at least 3 hours, visit WWII Museum. Been there three times and still lots to see.

If you can, do the Quarter later in day/evening.

Visit Harrahs - or even stay there if you have any play levels with CET.

6. TableToddyy

TableToddyy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Cabildo, The Presbytere , and Chalmette battlefield and any of the cemeteries

I/e The Katrina and Mardi gras Museums

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  7. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the weekend Brunch at Commander's Palace, not just for the great food, but the Jazz band walking to tables.

8. yoyoseven

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That looks awesome!

9. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I am going to give you a bit of a different answer.

If you are a history buff, I would suggest doing one of the plantation tours that talk about the history of slavery in new orleans. It is extremely powerful. I would recommand Whitney plantation as my first choice or Laura plantation as my second. It is incredibly revealing and eye opening.

If that is not your cup of tea and want to do something more fun, I would suggest the swamp / alligator tour by Cajun encounters. It was a blast and the tour guides are great, they get the alligators to jump right up against the boat.

Both of these are about a 30 min to an hour drive from new orleans, but I found them to be the highlight of my week long trip over there.

10. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second both these points. I'd recommend walking down Royal Street, which parallels Bourbon Street. Pop into some of the amazing antique stores (even if you don't like antique stores). You can always dip up into or across Bourbon Street. Bourbon is actually too debauched for me--way more than the Strip or downtown Vegas, to compare it to the city under discussion on these boards. But the architecture and just general "feel" of the quarter is definitely worth a visit.

New Orleans is unlike any other city in the US. I love it (have only been a few times) but I suppose it could be a bit of a shock to the system. (As is Vegas for first-timers, I suppose.)

11. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have chicory coffee and beignets at the Cafe Du Monde. I know it's touristy but I enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vegas Erica

Vegas Erica VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really enjoyed Mardi Gras World
    It's where all of the floats get made (along with some other stuff). Really interesting to take that tour

And of course I'd eat a ton of good food and wander :)

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d spend the whole 48 hours on Bourbon Street and be carried back to the airport past the museum aficionados and the other wine lovers and Brie eaters savoring New Orleans’ history. :woohoo:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually I like Cafe Beignet a bit better, though it's smaller.

15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love Royal Street! For more good shopping, I love to wander along Magazine street ;-)

(on our last trip, we went to brunch in the Garden District, did a DIY walking tour of fancy houses then over to NOLA tap room, then back to walk along Magazine St to window shop ;-)

Clearly, many options. Choose what sorts of things you like! (food, cocktails and architecture are probably my top three when I travel....)

16. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience is limited to a trip when my buddy first moved down there. He took me to a place called Atchafalaya near where he lived and it was outstanding. Honestly some of the best grub I've had. The rest of the time was spent drinking lol. Wear close toed shoes on Bourbon St. If someone bets you they can guess where you got your shoes, you have them on your feet in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The tradition of skipping Easter... Solo 03.31.2021-04.04.2021
  17. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For God's sake, don't arrive at Bourbon Street completely sober. You may turn right around and leave if you do. It's a good time down there, but have a drink or two on deck BEFORE getting there as it will help you to overlook some of the less desirable aspects of the place.

18. yoyoseven

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for slushy drinks and tittie bars (not to mention the fact that my GF will be with me), so the Faubourg Marigny or the Garden District may be more suitable. I do want to visit the French Quarter though to get a feel for the history and to see the architecture, So maybe we'll stick to Royal St with a little sneak peek at the debauchery on Bourbon Street. I'm sure the GF will want to do Cafe Du Monde, but I've heard there are comparable options. I've had chicory coffee before - not a fan.

I think we'll probably stay in NOLA on a Saturday night, so the Jazz Brunch at Commander's Palace before we head back to Biloxi on Sunday is a solid contender (plus there's a cool cemetery to check out right across the street).

We'll probably take I-10 into town from Biloxi, and then US-90 through the bayou on the way back for a change of scenery. I think I'll park the car at the hotel, and we'll just Uber/Lyft around town ('cuz alcohol).

Thanks to everyone for your input - you guys rock harder than Led Zeppelin in the 70's!

19. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Skip Bourbon Street. Seen one urinal, you've seen 'em all.
    Cafe Du Monde in the French Market, Napoleon House, and Sazerac Bar. Dinner at Creole House or Red Fish Grill.

20. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know what TO do, but I know what NOT TO do...

Don't party all night at the Foundation room and take a 6 a.m. flight the next morning to Vegas. Chances are, it will not turn out well.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.