1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Idiot's Guide to Renting A Car in Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by tvon, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golfer

Golfer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    insuremyrentalcar.com

My policy cost about $120 for a year. Loss of use, lost income, physical damage, diminution in value all covered, as well as theft of my stuff from the car, or a hotel room.

My car liability is primary, and my excess umbrella liability over that, but this takes care of damage to tehir rental car, and the stuff above mentioned that ordinary insurance doesn't cover. Especially their lost value after an accident, and their lost income.

FWIW, I own an insurance agency. I bought this, and I think it's probably pretty smart as inexpensive as it is.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks.

From quickly reading, I notice that the pesky "Diminution of Value" is not covered in California. As an agent, do you have any comments about that?

Also, how would you compare this company to Protect Your Bubble (or is it Protect My Bubble?) :) which I'm sure you've heard of? That's the one I've been occasionally using on personal trips.

3. Golfer

Golfer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One reason possibly there is no coverage in California might be that California courts don't award this. You would need to check with your insurance provider in California. Or the court award ares so outrageous, an insurer cannot properly charge to provide this.

I looked quickly at Protect my/your Bubble website, and I didn't see any details about diminution, or lost profits. Not to say they aren't there, but these are the two most expensive items that wouldn't carry over from your personal policy.

So if my liability, OTC and COLL carry over, I'm personally not concerned about anything other than diminution and lost income.

If my cell phone is stolen, my real exposure is all the data stored on it, not the phone. If my car or room are robbed, my homeowner's carries over. I have term life, so I don't care about all of that accidental death stuff. I buy trip flex form the airline, and my vacations aren't expensive enough to insure. I have marker lines, so I don't keep cash in a room, and there are limitations of stolen cash on homeowners in any event. I have identity theft on my homeowners to protect the credit line, and in any event, it's attached to my bank account, and my liability is limited.

So, for me, I buy what is an exposure. I don't insure anything I can afford not to. I risk manage outside of purchasing a policy of insurance. And my agent, which is me, actually gives sound advice, which I'm paying him for through his commission, so I know exactly what I need to do, and I know my tolerance for self insured risk.

The above is a generality, and it's best to call your agent, but I suspect the answers should be as I give above. If not, a quick Google search to double check might make you think about whom you're paying for advice.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've spoken to my insurance agent, my credit card company (and the supervisor) and the TAs in our travel department at work. All tried to be reassuring and say I should not worry, but NONE of them could give me a nonqualified "NO" to me being at personal risk for loss of use and other nuisance items. That's why I've been using PY/MB for personal trips lately, as they (say they) cover all charges for which I'm legally liable.

5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If having extra insurance makes you more comfortable and you feel it's worth it...then that is why they sell it.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That "bubble" insurance is about 1/3 the price of the LDW that they try to push you into at the rental desk.

7. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks tvon

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status: