1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I think I'm "over" Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Timbuck, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and when you cut employees working at the checkout line who is more valuable?...

the gal who processes as many folks as she can without flashing a smile while seeming "grumpy" the whole time OR

the guy who smiles, is actively engaged with the customer, instead of referring you to call the desk personally takes the time to get you an answer to your question

to me I'd choose the ladder - I'm starting my vacation and I like folks around me to be happy when I'm happy. Corporate is happy to just have someone to process these folks in so they can start spending...

Vegas Trip #46
  2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They would keep the smiley guy if they could but he will start acting like grumpy gal if he is overworked because they keep trying to fire all the frontline humans. Brings to mind that it is important to try and fill out surveys to help support the clerks who start your trip off right.

3. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You couldn't be any more right. I won't forget a discussion we had with a dealer at the Cromwell about a year ago. She was the friendliest dealer we've ever had and turned our quick stop at the Pai Gow table into a 5 hour session. It was like she was part of our group when we left. We continue to go back and she remembers our little group. We asked her why some dealers are grumpy when this is really the pinnacle of their profession. She gave two reasons: 1. Tip sharing as there is really no incentive to have to be nice. You can let others do that and reap their rewards. 2. Dealing with rude customers. She's been cussed at and screamed at for dealing bad cards. When most people get friendly interactions, they return it with friendly service.

4. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have spent too many HOT Summers in Las Vegas and have unknowingly gone a couple of times during March Madness to know to
    avoid those Dates at all cost. So lately my solution is to go in the middle of the week when the "Rowdy Kids" are at Work or in School.

My most favorite time to go is usually around Thanksgiving or Christmas because it's cooler weather and a totally different crowd (until NYE)!

December 2021
  5. Chloe

Chloe Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps it's because I'm from a different country but IME the customer service level in Vegas is amazing. Even the TSA are friendly at the airport lol
    The only bad customer experience I've had in Vegas is from taxi drivers but that is a universal issue I believe.

Almost everywhere I've visited in the US I've only encountered nice and helpful people. Maybe not NYC but I'm used to aloof behaviour already in Toronto.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You want to see quality service - - go to Japan. When you go into a store or business you are greeted by the staff. Go into a hotel and you are greeted by most of the staff as you walk by. Go into a sushi bar and like in the movies you are greeted by all the sushi chefs.

Fly on the international airlines you get friendly helpful flight attendants who act like they appreciate you flying with them. Domestic airlines the flight attendants seem to go through the motions and if you get one who is having a bad day.....

Could be because of the mass of people but I don't see the qualify of service or friendliness of staff at American hotels as much as I see in Japan.

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alot of us are comparing Vegas of today to a decade or even longer ago. Vegas now doesn't compare to Vegas of the past when it comes to service.

8. callmegeorge

callmegeorge Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree minus Cabs. Anyone who uses Cabs instead of Uber in Vegas is living in the past. It'll save you a ton- try it.

9. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And for value as well...

10. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just don't get the service thing. 3-6 trips/year over the past dozen+ years and I don't notice any slippage in service whatsoever.

Now, the PRICE for that service and the (lack of) overall value of Vegas, that's another story altogether. No question about it - the value ain't what it used to be...not even close.

I'm still willing to fork over the price of admission, but I definitely get the "lack of value" complaint.

11. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This post is precisely why I only go once a year. Anything can get old. ANYTHING.

Although the OP mentioned specific reasons for now being turned off by Vegas, traveling to the same location 3x a year can eventually become old.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Repetitiveness was not the OP's issue, it was erosion in the quality of the experience. Variety is the spice of life, but multiple yearly trips to Vegas -- anywhere -- isn't like eating Hamburger Helper every night. (Thank god.) I can think of many places we visit several to many times a year, even if not annually. Oregon, Scottsdale and Tucson, our desert particularly, the Bay Area, Vegas -- though not like the crazy days of old when we were up there double-digit times/year -- even Hawaii.

13. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

I don't use a smart phone.

14. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I third (or tenth) that. Back when I first started working as a teenager, I paid my dues in customer service jobs, and it was a real eye-opener how cold/rude/entitled people can be, no matter how nice you are. People ARE human, and if they don't get any niceness to balance the cruds, apathy sets in.

Due to this, I never, NEVER want to be that person that succeeds and then "forgets" about being on the other end, so I always make an effort to treat every staff member I meet like they're special in some way. Nothing big, this can even just be asking how they're doing (and acting like you actually care), or complimenting something about them, or even just truly appreciating when they do something for you...even if it's their "job."

The sad thing is, is how long they remember these touches. We were at Monte Carlo, came back 6 months later, and more than ONE staff member remembered us, two even remembered my NAME and just beamed when they saw me. It actually upset me a little, as, for them to remember these very small kind gestures, after six months, meant they must not experience them that often. That's really sad!

Another case of this was a dealer I always walked by in Aria. I never play tables, but I always gave her a big grin, and she started reciprocating every time. At the end of my trip, I walked by, grinned, and she did the cutest little dance and gave me a big wave, and this is from a dealer that had been probably dealing 10-20 years. It was probably one of my favorite parts of my entire trip, and it even made my husband's day, it was so charming.

So, if anyone thinks customer service is tanking, do your part and try the old phrase "kill em' with kindness." Even if they don't spruce up for you, a kindness is never a waste, and you never know if it makes an impact on them down the road! Rudeness and kindness are both infectious...pick which one you want to spread.

(My only caveat is if someone is condescending. I can handle cold. I can handle slow. I can handle incompetent, but condescending is my one major hot button...it drives me BONKERS.)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  15. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me it's the nickel & diming that bothers me about Vegas. First the resort fees, now parking fees. The bean counters are starting to ruin what Vegas has always been about. But to build billion dollar resorts I guess you have get as much money out of people as you can. I leaving later today for a week in Vegas. I used to always get a comped room for at least 5 nights. Now I have to split my stay between 2 resorts. Not that big of a deal, but I do miss the old days of Vegas. I wonder when they'll try even money blackjack.

16. BC_ girl

BC_ girl Low-Roller

I will never be over Vegas. It's my happy place. The only thing that bugs me is that the Canadian dollar is so bad, other than that, it's all good. I few things. First off, I think the nickel and diming happens everywhere. A few weeks ago my son and I went and rented a small cabin for a few days during his spring break. Not fancy at all, and even there anything extra we wanted, we had to pay for ( like a tea kettle things like that). Funny thing is, this cabin also cost me more than the Mirage did last month. Anyways, the point is, things are like that all over, you just deal with it. Second, I used to work as both a waitress and a hotel desk clerk, and I can tell you, people were rude. Not all, but lots. It's very easy to say service has declined, but I would bet so have how people treat the staff. This was over 20 years ago I worked at those jobs, and even back then sometimes I would feel incredibly upset at how I was treated by tourists. My sister also worked at a hotel and had the same experience I did with rude people and entitled guests. Funny thing about Vegas, lots of people say you shouldn't go too much, but I say why not if you love it and it makes you happy. If it doesn't make you happy and you don't enjoy yourself, don't go. I never knew Vegas back in the day, so don't have anything to compare it to, but it's fun now and something I will spend my money on.

17. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we've all been spoiled with the perks of Vegas. Most of the costs and service people are discussing in this thread are standard for most US Cities. I go 3 times a year, and that's my absolute limit, which will probably collapse to 2 times a year in the future. That said, I don't think I will ever be "over" Vegas.

November 10th - November 14th (Veterans Day Holiday Weekend)
    July 23rd - July 27th
  18. Ruark

Ruark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    90% of which are attending conventions.

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
  20. franco802

franco802 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was very well put and I agree with you. Although I myself am not done with Vegas yet. We do go less often than before. I am 40 and my girlfriend is 41. So we know how you feel.

I've been going to Vegas since 2009. Everything is more expensive. These resort fees are out of control and the room prices have skyrocketed.

We use to go to Vegas 5-6 times a year. Now we only go once or twice a year, due to the higher prices. Now I hear they want to charge for valet, which is rediculous. This alone will probably change how often we go as well. Might have to be once a year or every other year now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.