1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I have one old School drink per trip, what do YOU think this trip's drink should be?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Multifarious5, May 14, 2019.

1. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now now, don't be proud thinking I am saying I have one drink per trip. That would be crazy talk, like saying I push a slot button ONCE per trip.

I did start a tradition a few trips back, where I try one classic drink per trip (or a spin on a classic). You know, one of those timeless cocktails that have been around, and loved, for generations.

So far I've tried a gimlet, a Manhattan, a Tom Collins (OK, vodka Collins), Grappa and a Moscow Mule.

I'm traditionally an old world/drier red wine gal... but Vegas is when I let myself have cocktails as I can pace myself better. (And floor wine is way too sweet for me.)

For THIS trip's classic cocktail, I am thinking of a Sidecar or a Negroni. (I'd LOVE to try @thecarve 's prior suggestion on an Aviation, as I'm intrigued. But I doubt they'll serve it comped on the floor, and what can I say, it kills me to pay for drinks when I get good ones free at Cosmo.)

So, what cocktail would YOU recommend I try for my new "classic cocktail" experience for this trip?

First time in Tower Premium One Bedroom Suite.. Looking forward to it!
    • Love Love x 2
  2. Retrobabble

Retrobabble Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Old-Fashioned. Especially if you like oranges and brandy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was actually up there Retro! I DO like congac/brandy, and anything citrus. And your synopsis (brandy/oranges) just kicked it way up the list. Thank you :)

First time in Tower Premium One Bedroom Suite.. Looking forward to it!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a hot, scorching day nothing works better for me than a Gin and Tonic. If I want to go really old school I’ll order one with Beefeaters but I much prefer Tanqeray number 10 or Bombay Saphire. It’s a classic old school drink that has been my go-to during my summer trips to Vegas for decades.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  6. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a sidecar at Cosmo on the floor and it was great! They did serve it on the rocks, which was fine because it was nice and cold, but it looks fancier straight up. So that's one you can order and they won't look at you like they have no idea what that is. It did take a bit so get comfortable. Let us know what you get! :beer:

Part One - Ballys Strip View!
    Part Two - Aria Sky Suite!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After dinner while playing slots I will occasionally have a Stinger on the rocks, equal portions of brandy and white Creme de Menthe.

• Like Like x 2
  8. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should be able to get a Margarita anywhere and it also has lime juice in it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hurricane

Hurricane Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brandy Alexander.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. alexm

alexm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to second a really good old fashioned

• Like Like x 2
  11. Vegasworm

Vegasworm Finger Clicker Extraordinaire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to suggest a Brandy Alexander too! I love them...make them at home occasionally along with ordering them out. I love when a bartender takes the time to add grated nutmeg to the top!

Vegasworm

20th Wedding Anniversary Trip with V!
    Paul McCartney Concert and 20th Anniversary Celebration!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you feel about fizzes? Gin fizz? Whiskey sour? Rob Roy? Jack and Ginger? Manhatten?

• Like Like x 2
  13. lasvg3

lasvg3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I could help you but, to be honest, I really don't drink that much at all. I won't say "never," but I never really got into it, despite living on the "alcoholic" floor of my college dorm. Our floor was the master of the "Thumper/Buzz" party(ies). Any excuse for a "Kegger." Although, our rules were slightly different.

Our initial "Thumper" questions were:

1. "What time is it?" (Answer: "IT'S SHOWTIME!").
    2. "What's the name of this game?" (Answer: "THUMPER!").
    3. "And how do you spell it?" (Answer: "T-H-U-M-P-E-R!!!" -> but instead of "bongo paddling" the floor, we'd slap the floor with each letter as we spelled it. To not do so would be a drinkable violation).

You were allowed to "fake" a sign twice before being required to flash a player's correct sign. To call out a drinkable violation, you could not point with your finger. You had to point with your elbow (i.e. hand near the head).

For Buzz, we would have either the "starter" (and/or the person last caught and having to drink) call the count and direction around the circle (e.g. "Six to the right"). You had to "buzz" on the number, multiples of he number and any number containing the number (i.e. "16, 26" etc. if the number was "6'), double digits (11, 22, 33 etc.) and other "selected" numbers. And, of course, the direction would change right <---> left with each "Buzz." And, during the winter, instead of a Keg, we'd play for shots of your favorite evening cordial/schnapps. Mine was "Grand Marnier."

Sadly, for me, my career at these games was very short lived, as it turns out that alcohol in certain forms was a migraine trigger for me. Thus, my "lack of" propensity to drink is not a moral issue, but a medical one. I did better with higher spirits (Gin, cordials, brandies, etc.), but I could not do beer or wine to save my soul. All I could do was a flute of Asti Spumante at a family dinner.

Thankfully, I don't have the migraines anymore (my father also had them at a young age as well), but I never really developed a habit for alcoholic beverages. I have bottles in my cupboard that I haven't touched in more than 25+ years. I still have a magnum of champagne given to me when I bought my 1st townhouse in NJ almost 30 yeas ago. I have an unopened bottle of "Bubble Shot..." (i.e."Bazooka" flavored schnapps :)) I acquired in the early 1990s. These days, if I do have a cocktail, it's a night cap just before bed. And, mostly, it's my old favorite "Grand Marnier..." (a bottle I actually brought home with me from Europe in the 90s).

Now, a question and a challenge. Question: can you get such things in LV as an authentic "Singapore Sling?" That would be the drink I'd recommend to the OP, if it's available there. In re: my upcoming LV trip, I was planning to find a good Bourbon to enjoy (I miss that flavor... :(), but I think I'd better keep my whits about me while there. I can get Bourbon anywhere. Sort of like not doing anything like "Fried Chicken" and/or "Pizza" at the buffets... I can get that all day at home.

And the Challenge. There is a cordial which I met while in Europe many years ago with which I felt madly in love. It's called "Pere Blanc." a product of Luxembourg.

[​IMG]

I can best describe it as being a very, VERY sweet (but intense) ginger flavor (although the ingredients contain no ginger at all). Oddly enough, the taste improves as the bottle starts to dwindle down leaving room for the alcohol to evaporate. Still, you don't want it to evaporate too far that there is none at all. All you'd have left is a ton of sugar syrup with some faint ginger flavor. You can tell it's getting on in age when you see the bottle top (around the cap) accumulate dried, crystallized sugar on it.

I brought two bottles of it home with me from Europe (along with my Grand Marnier) in the 90s. One is gone and the other is probably 2/3r'd gone, but still has sufficient alcohol remaining.No "crystallized sugar" around the bottle top as of yet.

Unfortunately, this product is only distributed (normally) in the areas surrounding Luxemborg, Belgium, etc. To my knowledge, it is not regularly distributed to the USA for retail sale. They will ship odd lots of it (min. of 3) but it would be a special order. And that could include an extra $40.00 or so in shipping costs and duties.

The Challenge: If it can be found anywhere in the USA, I'm thinking LV would be the place. If any of you can find it in LV, PM me and I will buy it from your source, and share the first drink of it with you when I make my trip, there. Likewise, if any of you might be traveling to Belgium or Luxembourg (be very safe if you are, Belgium is not what it used to be), and you can pick up a couple of bottles for me, I'll pay the costs (both for the product and shipping, and/or customs duties).

So, to summarize and answer the OP's question, If you can get an authentic "Singapore Sling," I'd go for that.

:beer:

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of thoughts:

Do you like gin? If so, a Tom collins is definitely old school (it’s not called a Collins glass for nothing).

Or try a real daiquiri. Not the frozen fruit slush thing, but the classic cocktail of rum, sour/lime juice and simple syrup.

If you want to have some fun ordering, try a slow comfortable screw against the wall (vodka and oj for the screw, sloe gin for the slow, southern comfort for the comfortable, and galliano for the against the wall). Honestly, the drink is ok. Most of the fun is in ordering.

WSOP!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mr.vegas

mr.vegas Peace sells, but who's buying?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try a Harvey Wallbanger

• Like Like x 1
  16. Geogran

Geogran gamblin grandma

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Virgin Shirley Temple, haha.

@Multifarious5 - so many choices, so few days. One a day and critique for us? Gonna be another fun time at Cosmo!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mai-tai.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Norman Chad

Norman Chad Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Godfather.

Anniversary Trip!
    • Like Like x 2
  19. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smith and Kerns. Great after dinner drink. Tastes like chocolate milk with a kick.

Trip with the family to see the Eagles
    • Like Like x 1
  20. azlefty

azlefty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My standby is also a rye Old Fashioned, but for variety perhaps a Singapore Sling?
    May I also suggest an ITLefty (campari and soda with a squeeze of orange). This was Azlefty's favorite drink when he visited Italy in college and didn't have much drinking experience. It's a bit sweet.

• Like Like x 3