1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I didn't know this regarding Carbon Monoxide detectors

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Carbon Monoxide detectors have a life. Ours starting chirping this morning, of course it was 3am. They never fail when it's daylight out. It's a plug in unit with battery backup, so I changed the battery. Did I mention it was 3 AM!

Same crap with an error flashing on the display. We pulled the battery out and left it unplugged. This morning I called Kidde, to see what the heck was going on. She looks up the model and date of manufacture and says that unit was only meant to last 7 years to 2013. I guess we got our money's worth, but I never knew they had a life. I just assumed it was like a smoke detector. Change the battery and be good to go.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Anniversary trip
    Thanksgiving & doing some seeding at 4Q for the future.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the new ones now come as a sealed unit with a 10 year battery life.
    You cannot just change the battery, you need to replace the whole thing.

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those bastards!

Vegas 2018 Baby!
    Fremont Street!!!
  4. greekjim

greekjim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smoke Detectors have a set life too

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really, never heard of that??

OK I Googled and a life of 10 years. Google also said in a survey 72% of people didn't know that. Maybe it's because we have never been in a house for ten years, but an interesting fact.

Anniversary trip
  6. fraygul

fraygul Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have wired in ones and one by one they have all failed with the 'I'm dying beep' I couldn't get to stop. One was going off when I came home from vegas. All were well before their expiry date. My house was only 3 years old at the time, and I looked on the back and they were all close to new. We do have a lot of power surges here though and a lot of our electronics frizzle out. Of course I came home exhausted and my ceilings are 10' and i am 5' and think I could figure out how to disconnect the freaking thing. I was not a happy camper. And of course the breaker box isn't labelled.

Bonus Trip!!!!
  7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our dog is fairly deaf now and in a way it's a good thing. We also have wired detectors in the new house, but in the old houses if one started chirping she would really act goofy. She could hear the basement ones also and we never did. Then it's the whats the matter? You need to go out? And why oh why do they start in the middle of the night? Murphy's Law I guess.

Anniversary trip
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah mine went off about 10 years ago because of a sewer gas issue coming up from the drain thing in the basement. I called the non emergency number for the fire dept and they showed up with the big truck and a smaller one behind it, in their full outfits. I open the door and the one dude grabs me and throws me over his shoulder and runs to the truck with me. Before I know what's going on he has an oxygen mask on me. I look up and another dude has Oscar who was our only pet at that time. It was during the 8 months between Lola dying and us getting Max. Oscar was such an easy going cat. He was just like hey man. Sure enough they put oxygen on him too. I'm thinking to myself that these guys are drama queens. But, I guess that's how serious it can be. So, they finally let us back in the house. And they told me the detectors would have to be replaced the following year. My husband keeps the packages for them. We've got new ones now. Not something you want to play with. Especially if you have natural gas in the house.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.