1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I am not a germaphobe, but I cancelled our remaining trips.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a germaphobe but I am in my late 60s with some respiratory issues, so I cancelled our remaining trips to Vegas. This really hurts. It will mark the first time in 47 years I have not made at least one trip to Las Vegas. :cry::cry: The last dozen years it has been 6-8 trips per year.

We are bartop, VP grinders and while I am in complete favor of mask usage, the thought of sitting at a bar for 8-10 hours wearing a mask, only dropping it down to take a sip, just doesn't sound that inviting.

I am now hoping for a February return. SWA issued credits good until 9/2022.

Stay well and good luck to all who choose to go.

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Like Like x 4
  2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I do not blame you at all for cancelling for the reasons you stated. Doesn't sound like fun to me either

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry, Joe. I know that's a difficult decision to make. I was clear at the start of this that Vegas was over for me for awhile, but it's still not fun sticking with that decision. I get pretty crabby every couple weeks about not having a trip anywhere on the horizon.

Hopefully Vegas will be waiting for us all when there is a vaccine and we can get back to a somewhat "normal" world again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

It is a wise choice, Joe.
    Traveling to a "spiking " state, for purely recreational reasons -
    I don't comprehend ?
    ......and Vegas.....at this time.......is NOT the Vegas, we know.
    Machine #1 at Boar Bar will be waiting for you next February.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear of your missing out on your regular routine. You posted how many of the older generation on VMB are faring with CV19. We watch from the sidelines and it definitely is a bummer. All those 30-40 somethings posting about their trips figuring they'll fare just fine. Hope so. Everyone wants this to change. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Everyone has their comfort range. Hopefully, LV will be within yours soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry Joe.....I know how much your trips mean to you. I am a little older than you with no known health issues.....cancelled my April trip before they closed it down due to family issues but I am keeping my late August plan alive....hoping for the best basically....have spent so many months totally alone except for seeing my g-grandson on occasion....I just really need this trip for my mental health as much as anything......hoping for the best....have 7 people coming with me so I will do all the proper things to increase my odds at staying healthy.....best of luck to you Joe & hope your next trip is the best!

• Like Like x 4
  7. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry Joe....I know how you feel. Have canceled two trips so far this year. Holding out some hope for December. Sometimes it feels like this will never end :(

I hope you can get back to Vegas very soon.

8. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Short of a vaccine -- that might not work -- WE all actually hold the key to keeping this thing in check.

Sorry, Joe, but you made the right call.

P.S. I just wish you hadn't used "germaphobe" in your subject line. This has nothing to do with germaphobia.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Joe I am right there with you! I dont have any health issues that increase my odds, just my age. I am not willing to risk my health nor my spouses health to go to Vegas or most other places right now. There WILL be a time that we will be able to travel safely again and I will be patient for when that time comes. See you at Boar's Head!!

Maybe not this year. Looking forward to 2021!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, we feel your pain. My sisters and Houston son have decided to cancel our annual August trip. (Omg, that was even painful to write.)

Our general routine is pool, son goes to Boar bar, afternoons on Fremont Street sitting at outdoor bar at the Four Queens listening to our favorite bands, and give it heck in the evening with the five of us at a blackjack table with tons of high fives and making ridiculous side bets.

No Boar Bar, no outdoor bands, only three per blackjack tables with raised table limits. I agree with you as we are not germaphobes, but sitting on a plane for three hours with a mask on has me hyperventilating thinking about it. We all wear masks when appropriate and I have avoided situations where a mask is needed more than 30 minutes. And talk about wearing masks outdoors in 105 plus temps...ouch!

Our Hawaiian friend, Henry, is still planning on going. He says he needs his gambling fix as due to COVID he has missed his last three trips. He will toast to us and report back on the changes.

Cheers to 2021:beer:

• Like Like x 3
  11. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You made the right choice. I am a fair bit younger with no health issues that I know of and went from a maybe trip this year on Jan 1 to a definite No now. I’ve read a fair bit on the issue and the only conclusion is that you can’t come to a conclusion. It’s “expert” against “expert” with this thing so why not err on the side of caution until we get somewhere to closer to consensus?

lit this thing suddenly vanishes October 1, then maybe.....

12. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes - we know Vegas is your second home, Joe. We had planned to be visiting my folks in Door County this week, but decided that traveling there from Texas wasn’t a great idea. Hang in there!

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used it as a blanket term for people who think they are going to catch anything and everything.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sallymander

Sallymander Freedom 55

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got the Boyd's mailer. :cry: Even if I did choose to take advantage of the offer when I returned home I'd have a mandatory 14-day quarantine to deal with, so no Vegas for me. :rolleyes2:

15. checkchange

checkchange Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't fault you there. Same here on no Vegas for first time in 30+ years but it ain't worth it from a health risk and the fact flying and Vegas in this environment ie masks, plexiglass, 4 to an elevator (like that's going to work) etc is no fun for me or my wife.

But Vegas will be there for future trips when it is safer to go. It sucks but smart decision :beer: so I will enjoy Vegas through others trip reports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As painful as it is to cancel, you made the right decision, Joe.

Older people with respiratory problems poses a higher risk when infected with the virus.

Things will get better. The light at the end of the tunnel seems very dim, but it is there.

It can only get brighter, and it will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  17. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Given your situation and the current one in the motherland I cannot blame you one single bit. We are in good health relatively speaking and middle aged. With the current border situation and more importantly current conditions any trip to Vegas is on hold indefinitely for us. Vegas will be right there waiting for us when the time is right. Sure it is tough to not have a trip booked or in the works I can live with it. All the best Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your bankroll can only grow while you stay home. You'll have a nice wad for your next trip. Stay safe Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Joe - sorry that you probably won’t make it out to Vegas this year. I’m in my mid 50s and have taken many a trip from LA to Vegas. I’m itching for it but hesitant to go. Every time I want to start planning a trip covid spread and/or safety precautions escalate. My in-laws are older/high risk so I could never sell my wife on a trip.

Hopefully we’ll all get to go soon.

20. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are a wise man joe. And as a wise man you have SOME chance of filing out taxes correctly without attaching W2g’s.
    May want to start ponying up.
    You gotta do what ya gotta do. But so many of you (not us, the rest of the world) making bad choices.
    Good call joe.

It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
    This here table isn’t a 5$ table; Pilgrim ~~