1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Huge line to check in for Southwest at 0530 on a Tuesday morning!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by fasbman, May 4, 2021.

1. fasbman

fasbman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i just got to the airport for a 7 AM flight back home. I walked in the door, and saw hundreds of people standing around in one of the longest lines, I have ever seen at any airport at any time! I asked someone, what the line was for, and they said it was to check in luggage at SWA. Since I almost always do just carry on, I was able to skip that line, although I had to fight my way through it, to get to the escalator to the C gates. Since I have TSA pre check, security was the usual breeze. However, some people in that line were at risk of possibly missing their flight, especially if they didn’t have pre check.

• Wow! Wow! x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. fasbman

fasbman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, that was interesting. About an hour before my flight was supposed to take off, I heard a final boarding announcement for my flight, and that they were about to close the door. WTF! I was at an empty gate about a quarter of a mile away. Well, the good news is that I was able to run that distance without getting a heart attack! However, when I got there, myself and several other frantic passengers saw that the door was closed. I did feel better when a person in a SWA uniform at the gate, said that he was the pilot, and the plane wasn’t going anywhere without him. Apparently, the gate agent called out the wrong flight.

• Wow! Wow! x 10
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I saw the title, I assumed that was for TSA - not just Southwest luggage.

So glad we rarely check luggage even though we are A-list. (no line) and it is free. We were with friends recently and they had to check bags, but line was only about 10 minutes long.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bubblehead

Bubblehead Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we walked by at 700am the Southwest bag check had returned to it's usual level of chaos.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had that happen to my wife and I on an outbound early morning flight once at McCarren. The TSA day shift didn't show up until about an hour before our flight, and the line was about 120+ people long. We were getting hekken worried for a minute, but TSA simply expedited the whole lot of us through with minimal checks, no body cavity searches, no luggage destruction, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good thing there were no terrorists on that flight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ALWAYS a good thing :cool:

Hope Trip depending on Pricks
    B-day low key romp @MSS bar(?) downtown
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. fasbman

fasbman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got home. Before we took off, they said that the flight may be delayed a few minutes due to a technical issue they were having with the luggage. I strongly suspect that it might have been the combination of a technical issue and perhaps inadequate staffing. AFAIK, they still haven't opened up the outside the terminal luggage checking they used to have. When you combine that with more passenger traffic, you may be in for a long wait at times.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. hockeystl

hockeystl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Precheck costs $1.42 per month. As someone who loves the shorter Pre lines, I'm thankful so many don't find this to be a good value.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. MCOtoLAS

MCOtoLAS Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These SWA bag check horror stories are making me nervous! I always arrive at lease 2 hours early anyway as I like to grab a sandwich at Jersey Mike's and a couple last minute gifts and just not feel rushed in general, but I've never had to wait more than a couple min to check in my bag. My trip still isn't til next month so I'm gonna keep an eye on it, and my flight out isn't until around 5pm so I'm hoping by that time of day it'll be ok!

Friends Reunion First Time in a Decade!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We checked three bags and printed our SW boarding passes at approx 7 am on Friday the 23rd. No line, put the luggage tags on the bags, and were called up to deposit the bags immediately. No line at precheck either - literally zero people in line - plenty of time left to get coffee and poor excuse for breakfast sandwich from Nathans (Starbucks not open). Then found some pretzel bites at Auntie Anne's

• Like Like x 1
  12. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got to the airport at 9:30 Tuesday morning for our 11:00 AM flight, and there was nobody around the baggage kiosks for Southwest. Apparently all their other customers left early!!!!

Poker is BACK!!!
    Super Bowl or bust
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Zeke C

Zeke C Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tuesday morning Murphy's Law was in full effect, we ran into multiple delays getting to our Southwest gate for a 9:30 AM flight. First delay was the wait for the rental car shuttle bus - we were in the second batch of folks waiting to get on a shuttle bus (waited ~25 minutes). While riding the bus on the freeway to the terminal I noticed that the other side of the freeway was totally blocked with a massive traffic back-up - this may have caused the delay for the shuttle bus to get back to the rental car terminal to pick up passengers.

We got in the SW baggage check line at ~7:45 AM and the baggage drop off line was extremely long (line snaked back & forth 7 times) - it took ~25 minutes to drop off our bags. Then, the TSA checkpoint had only 1 TSA officer to check the boarding pass when we initially got in line at Terminal B checkpoint (they added 2 TSA officers while we were in line). When we finally got thru the TSA officer check, the "belt" for the security check was backed up and they finally opened more belts. It took ~30 minutes to get thru that checkpoint. After completing those hurdles, to add the final delay, the moving sidewalk out to the Terminal B gate area was not running. With all of these delays, this resulted in waiting less than 20 minutes in the gate area before boarding (so we didn't get to play our last $20 VP session at the airport !). While we weren't concerned about not getting to the gate in time this time, we were only 1 more "delay event" from transitioning to "cardiac workout" event !!

So, in total, it took us ~1 hour 40 minutes to go from Orleans, drop off the rental car (did the gas fill up the previous night) and get to the gate. In the past on previous trips, this process has been easily completed in 45 - 50 minutes. There was a previous thread about how early to depart for your return flight, I would have probably said that departing 2 hours before your departure would give you plenty of time even if you were returning a car and would probably have voted for 1 hr 30 minutes to complete the process in a stress free manner. This is the first time it has ever taken us this long (in over 30+ trips), I guess I would now vote for 2 hr 30 minutes if you want a stress free process (just to be sure Murphy's Law doesn't bite you in the A$$$ !!).

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Southwest lines almost anywhere can be ridiculous. Hopefully, they will soon get back to curbside check-in at more/all locations where it was previously available.

We flew to Orlando and back for a long weekend (my wife ran a 10k on the beach in Cocoa Beach) and the line was bad at Hobby BUT we were both "Business Select" (it was ridiculously cheap and she needs points to maintain A-List) so we went in that line, which was empty. When we got to Orlando on the way back, there was line that seemed like it was a mile long for returning rental cars and you could see inside was packed with people checking luggage. Luckily, I decided to drive as far down as I could and there ended up being curbside service there. Worked out for us... Thankfully, the rental car line was gone when I got back around to that part of the airport.

Sky Suites and Sky Pool Cabanas 2021
    Off to the Sky Suites for some R&R!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jsunsports

jsunsports Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was an app that had up to date check in times for airports and airlines?

• Agree Agree x 2