1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How Would You Play It? Monthly turbo ladder tournament

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by La$Vega$, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ What happens in Vegas is put on VMB forever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • This is a monthly online ladder tournament with levels 1-9
    • Turbo style with starting stacks of $5K & 10 minute blinds
    • We are in level 7. If you win in top 10% level 9 you play in the monthly $
    • A monthly Championship Tournament of $5K with usually 200 players
    • We are at level 7 with 60 players in the tourney
    • The majority of players are regs, all mostly serious and very good players.
    • A few are wild like the two in this hand with hero.
    • Final Table down to 8 players
    • At this point with 8, if any players on the table lose, you get to play in another level 7
    • Hero is MP 4th in chips at $26,350 I've been playing Tight/Aggressive throughout
    • The last 40+- hands have been card dead. I am patient and this hand is no different. Currently, a little over 43 BB's. Plenty of staying power, but good opportunity to triple up

V1: SB is in second chip lead with 52,898 and is Wild/Aggressive
    V2: UTG+1 is chip leader at 53,873 and is Loose/Aggressive

Ante: 75
    Blinds: 300/600

Pre-Flop: Hero has AhQs

V2-Bets $600
    Hero-Calls
    V1-Calls
    -----------------
    Flop: Qc, 8d, Jc

V1: Leads out for min bet $600
    V2: Calls $600
    Hero: Raises to min raise $1200
    V1: Insta-Jams
    V2: Hesitates & Jams
    Hero: What to do, Top pair & top kicker, but no clubs?

*Note: You have 20 seconds on the clock

(I'll be back later tonight for the conclusion)

2. Mark1450

Mark1450 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to fold 1 of the other players has at least QJ

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fold.

By my math, there was 7200 in the pot after your bet. That means V1 jammed 50k into that size, and V2 still looked him up. That is NOT the a great price for a draw even if the chip leader would commit all his chips this late to a draw.

So before we even talk about the crazy stuff V1 could be doing, V2 has got a made hand. He could have AQ, same as you (but even then could have the Ac for a bdfd), he could have any set, or he could have QJ. All terrible news for you. Even the combo draws (ATc) are not super likely given his chip position. You are praying to be tied. And he could have KK or AA as well.

And all of that is still based on V1 having air. But for a wildman that was a weak lead out, the type that wants action. Sets and a straight would be very much in his range, and want to get it in now. He might figure his overbet would chase out V2 and get you to call. Even on a bluff he could have the flush draw.

Beyond that, not super wild on how any street was played. I understand the cold call with AQ, but against a lag I think I prefer a 3 bet this late. If someone behind has a monster, neither the flat nor 3 bet is going to feel good. But the cold call invites a wide range of hands to come along for a flop. And not only does AQ not play great multi-way, but this late in a tourney, an inflated pot makes it tougher for you to size appropriately post flop. My guess is to a 3 bet V1 would have just folded pre, and V2 sometimes lets it go, and when he doesn't, he tells a fair bit above his range. And if he calls you have position.

And then on the flop, there is 6000 in the pot, you have 25150 left, and you min raise? That is truly bizarre to me. You are paying off all the hands beating you, setting an amazing price to 2 deep stacks to draw against you, and even pricing in AKo for a call.
    To me, the choice right then is either a shove or a flat call. If it is likely enough you are only facing draws, weak pairs and overcards, take it down now and set a bad price for the draws. If, like me, you are concerned about that min donk bet, just call and get a LOT more info before committing any more money.

4. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Attempting to double bluff catch with only one pair and no draw/redraw will lose you a lot of money in the long run, even against opponents like this. Actually, it will lose you a lot of money in the short run also.

I don't think this is even a remotely difficult fold.

5. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 Hot Dogs and Buns

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to fold. If you're going to gamble, don't expect to win this too often. Nevyn's logic is sound.

6. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ What happens in Vegas is put on VMB forever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    V1 turned over Qh6s
    V2 turned over Kc10c
    Board ran out Turn Ac, River 3d

Side Note UTG+1 CL was UTG

Main pot: 80025 chips
    Side pot 1: 53096 chips

P2: 20001, lost: 75 (folded)
    SB: 0, lost: 52898 (raised)
    BB: 24949, lost: 675 (folded)
    UTG: 135142, bet: 52898, collected: 133121, net: 80223
    P: 21962, lost: 75 (folded)
    Hero: 0, lost: 26350 (called)
    P: 45696, lost: 75 (folded)
    CO: 17950, lost: 75 (folded)
    ------------------------------
    You all were correct on Folding!
    -Mark: Appreciate the input & half right
    -Nevyn: your deep analysis on not only this easy hand to fold, but on many of the hands is really appreciated! Yes, you were spot on with the min raise & their stacks. I found out in a hurry where I was.
    -remmered: Agreed, no re-draw on the c's went through my mind. This hand for me was a 'Hot potato'
    -TRN: Spot on

Well, the donk called. You guys would like me in your game!
    (as I sit here playing in a new level 7 again, chipping up to 2nd at the FT with 5 players, typing on the keyboard)
    I did have a good read on V1's ranges throughout the tourney and I also thought if he had a pp or AK, AQ he would have jammed PF. V2 I did not play with him until this final table, all the hands he showed were all over the place, so I had no idea. I did feel he was very strong, but also drawing to a straight or clubs, not both!
    In hindsight this was a no brainer...an ez fold.
    The bug pushed & got splattered!
    (update: just flopped Broadway 2nd in chips still with 5 players, chip leader was runnin' good and began to donkey off his tremendous chip lead & now down to 4! I'm not gambling anymore)
    table 5-2.jpg
    Tonight's Tourney just ended (no photo)
    (Finished in 3rd and advance to the monthly tourney, Top 3 in level 7 advance past 8-9 levels directly to $ tourney)
    Players 1-3 don't harvest much for the table win in this format except to all advance into monthly, everyone usually jams
    Final hand played out PF: BB AI 60+K with pkt99, Hero pkt 55 jams AI 92K, SB Chip leader 155K calls with K7. Board runs out 7,2,K...he ran like that the whole game
    (Notice I gave the cat anonymity too!)

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  7. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. V2 did not have made hand but a whopping big draw, which meant heads-up, your best hand on the flop was an 2:3 underdog!

pokenum -h ah qs - kc tc -- qc 8d jc
    Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Qc Jc 8d
    cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
    Qs Ah 399 40.30 591 59.70 0 0.00 0.403
    Kc Tc 591 59.70 399 40.30 0 0.00 0.597

Three way, the maniac V1 got it in really bad...5% to win.

pokenum -h ah qs - kc tc - qh 6s -- qc 8d jc
    Holdem Hi: 903 enumerated boards containing Qc Jc 8d
    cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
    Qs Ah 289 32.00 602 66.67 12 1.33 0.327
    Kc Tc 554 61.35 349 38.65 0 0.00 0.614
    6s Qh 48 5.32 843 93.36 12 1.33 0.060

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.