1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How would you play it? from the 1/2 NLHE tables....

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by TRN, Aug 8, 2017.

1. TRN

TRN Poker Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hit the 1/2 tables for the first time since WSOP this past weekend. Had a couple of interesting hands I'll get around to posting, but wanted to start with this one.

Table is playing 7-handed - 1 just got knocked out and left, and 1 is on dinner break. It is an action table, not much limping or tricky play.

Hero on SB with about $300. The main villain in this hand is what I would consider a smart player, definitely had an ego about his play after he caught a couple of lucky rivers earlier. He had about $600.

Hero has 75 offsuit in SB, and every player limps in around to hero in SB, who calls the $1 and BB checks. Family pot 7-handed, $14 pot.

Flop is KT2 rainbow.

Table checks all the way around.

Turn is 5 (still rainbow board also).

Table checks all the way around again.

River is 7.

Table checks to V who slowly and methodically cuts out a $97 bet. When I say this, I mean he cuts out $90ish, stares at it for a minute, makes it look like he needs a little more... then decides it's too much and takes a little back... finally happy with the bet slides it forward. Action folds to hero in SB (with 2 more to act after).

What would you do here?

Work Hard / Play Harder!
  2. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only being in for $2, I let it go and not even think about it.
    I do believe Hero most likely is still ahead. But I wouldn't risk 1/3 of my stack w/ only $2 committed...

I'm more of a passive- aggressive player (fewer pots but bet big when I believe I am ahead) almost like V holding his T 7

November Birthday Trip
    March Madness Fun
  3. roju5

roju5 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Insta fold

4. scohitch

scohitch Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    fold...only two dollars invested in a pot. you need to risk 97 to win 111. maybe a set of deuces for the villain.

5. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fold. Even an average two pair holding has you beat. Of course he thinks he's being clever because he just made two pair with his 7-2 and wants to flaunt it, but it's still not worth calling $97 when you have $2 invested. Let him think you are calling and watch his reaction, then put it in the memory bank for the next one where you have the nuts and can pick him off easily. He's gonna show even when you fold.

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What position is villain? UTG+1?

Fold is the easy play, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily right. Money not won is money lost.

Now, the bet size is ridiculous, and that makes things tricky, but what can he have, limp along pre, and then check twice in a limped pot? Do any of the other players have an overly aggressive image? Because checking the turn 4th to act after a checked through flop would be ridiculous trapping in a small limp pot.

So here is the problem ... he should not get to the river with KK,TT, 22, or 55. King should probably have bet the flop or certainly the turn. A T with a decent kicker bets the turn. So what hands are we really worried about? T7? the 1 combo of 77?

On the other side, if he wants to run any sort of bluff, he needs to dodge 6 heroes. So the decision comes down to, will this ok 1-2 villain really have that big an overbet bluff in his bag? But most villains with the value overbets also have the bluffs. And 7 handed, his big value hands could potential get multiple calls of a smaller bet. I think I probably call. Even with only $2 invested, you still only need to be right half the time.

Question ... why didn't hero lead out at the river? You should be able to find at least 1 call, have to think you are good, and probably aren't quite strong enough to raise and get called by much worse.

Golf/World Men's Curling
    Tentative December Trip
  7. 18000rpm

18000rpm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd probably fold, 10 7 may play this way. But I would have led out on the river for about 10-15.

But those of you who say 'you've only got $2 invested so fold' - that's bad logic. What you put in has no relevance to the decision. The decision is 97 to win 111 and whether you're ahead more than 47% of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. remmerde

remmerde Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, this obviously polarizes V's hand. He's got a set or air. In my experience, these wild river overbets aren't bluffs often enough to be profitable for me to bluff catch with mediocre hands.

If he's awful enough to make this play with only a pair, then reward him with a fold on this hand in the hopes he does it again later when you have a stronger hand.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  9. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bet $10 on river, fold to anything more than a min raise.

As played, fold.

10. TRN

TRN Poker Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (sorry for the delay)

Picking back up, hero is intrigued by the bet, tanks for a minute or two, and decides to call... it's 1/2, these guys play like morons right? :)

Villain proudly flips over AA and says "sorry for the slow play"... Hero proudly flips over two pair and says "thanks for the slow play".

Work Hard / Play Harder!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Big dan

Big dan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait....I thought he was a smart player?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on a good read. I also am curious of the villain's position, calling $2 with AA. I will do this UTG sometimes and hope someone raises so I can limp-raise. If he did that and got all those callers though, he still needs to bet the flop and start weeding out. If he called in MP or LP he's an idiot and deserves to lose his stack.

13. QuaDxAceZ

QuaDxAceZ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont think villain could have played that any worse. Did you still think villain was a "smart player" after that hand? good for you taking down a nice pot from him

14. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Lol, even though I said call ... that was .... unexpected.

What an utterly absurd way to play aces.

Golf/World Men's Curling
    Tentative December Trip
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. James Kwon

James Kwon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    knowing the results now i don't know what I would of done. Probably would have folded but that was a horrible way to play some AA.

16. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What, the what!? I would have folded. Congrats on the call.

17. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "win a little or lose a lot" saying about AA was just reinforced!

18. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great call. I was on the it's only $2 fold train.