1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How to get CHEAPEST price at Car Dealership?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by TIMSPEED2, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this quote from a new car franchised dealer or a used car lot? These seem like nuisance fees. $800 for a document fee......if it took a clerk a half hour to prepare documents and some overnight FedEx fees, that is outrageous. What state are you from? Delaware has no sales tax but charges a 3.75% document fee on vehicle transactions.

I fell in love with a car once in 1985, I just had to have the new VW Jetta GLI (it was based off the hot Golf GTI but with 4 doors and a 5 speed stick). Had to call about 5 dealers (no internet then) to find one who would discount off the $10,995 sticker.

Don't fall in love with a car, the dealer will smell blood in the water and as others have said, be prepared to walk, you have the ultimate power. Like missing a bus, there is another one that will come along. But, damn, that Jetta was fun to drive!! A slight improvement over my 1978 "brick" Volvo 240.

2. mafig

mafig Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those who asked, these are new car dealers. And it's Florida.
    I'm just glad I noticed these fees. I was so focused on what they were taking off and also what they were giving me for a trade that I didn't notice till I left the dealership. I don't think they ever thought I had fallen in love with the car since I told them I was looking at different cars and was going to go with whoever gave me the best deal.

Maybe I'll try Truecar .... since now I know exactly what options I want.
    After my junket to Biloxi next week, of course.\

Thanks for helpfing me out everyone!

3. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made a great deal once. I had a 3 year old car that was starting to act up with the transmission. I was about to make a monthly payment of $280, the bumper to bumper was expiring that week and the tags were also due, about $250 I think. So I brought it in to get it looked at before the warranty expired. Started talking to the dealer and he asked me if I might think about getting another new vehicle. I actually was thinking that. Sooooo.

The dealer asked how much I owed on my current car, I said $8,600. I actually owed $6,800. So, they looked it over for trade in value and told me they would pay it off as a trade in. Cool, I'm up $1,800 already.

We started doing the paperwork and the dealer calls my bank for the write off. Was told $6,800. Then tells me, 'well we offered you 8600 for it already, so that stands.' I tried my best to look sincere when I lied through my teeth about telling him how much I owed. Damn dyslexia.

I ask him if it's okay if I call my wife and run this through her first. Went something like this....

ME: Hi hon, looking at trading in the car for a new one.
    HER: Up to you
    ME: Okay great, yes it's a good deal and our monthly payment won't change much.
    HER: Ok
    ME: The color is black.
    HER: Ok
    ME: (looking at salesman) oooooh. she doesnt like black.
    HER: huh? wha? I never said that. black is fine.
    SALESMAN: Would she like it better if we knocked $400 off?
    ME: (talking back into the phone) Hon, would you like the color more if he knocks $400 off the price?
    HER: aaaah yeah, of course, but I never said....
    ME: (talking to salesman) She would indeed like it more. Especially if you threw in a free 10 disc CD changer.
    HER: WTF? I never said that at all. Why are you putting....
    ME: OK Hon, I'll get the deal done here and see you when I get home. Love you too.
    Me: (talking to salesman) Looks like we have a deal.

So we saved $1800 on the car, didn't have to pay the DMV the $250 for renewal and didn't have to make my regular car payment of $280 as planned. So we did what every responsible new car owner would do with a few extra bucks in their pockets, went to Reno.

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, lots of tips.
    Will try to stick with some new advice.

Ask for the "out the door" price.
    Some dealers will give you a great price but then tack on some bullshit charge to make up the money.

Also, if you say I only want to pay $18K they will say no problem, just sign here for that car.
    READ ALL THE INFO because they will sell you the car for $18K but hide the fact you will either provide a $4K trade-in or extra cash.

If you were closer I would offer to deal with them and get your the best price as I enjoy haggle with these people.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is freaking awesome!! :thumbsup: On one of our internet deals I was to the point of just being a dick -- imagine that? -- and was chiseling 25 bucks here, 50 there. Terri finally rather pointedly said, "Stop, get the damn vehicle." God bless her. Props to you!

I know the point I'm making and I'm sure someone is making is none of this should ever be going on the "old" way. The deal is done before you go in. Or in our case one time, since we jiggered things a few times, the deal is done in increments before you go in.

6. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i could not lease a car, at all. I have a 4 yr old and they all know they make messes.. so i could not lease.. i had my old car, PT cruiser knock off, about 3 years, and it was a mess.. granted that was a part my fault, but kids are messy.. thus i cannot lease..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.