1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How Far Out Do You Make Reservations?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Echo27, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Echo27

Echo27 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven’t been to Vegas since Covid hit. How far out do you typically make your dining reservations in these times? I have a food allergy and have to research all of my restaurants before I go, so planning ahead is important. Is there a such thing as TOO far out? TIA for any info.

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO, you can never make a reservation TOO FAR in advance.

One of my FGFs is vegan, so I know about research/planning. Right now I have reservations out for my next two trips in April and May, and a third trip in June.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    In search of a retirement spot. On my way to Elko, NV through Reno.
    Sterling night at Cosmopolitan, a day before the Silver Strike tourney
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola El Jefe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These days you can’t make reservations far enough in advance, IMHO. For my upcoming June trip I made all of my breakfast and dinner reservations in February. For the restaurants that wouldn’t directly take reservations that far ahead I simply called the hotel concierge and made arrangements that way and had them email me a confirmation.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

12 Days In The Tower Suites
    12 Days Relaxing On The Terrace Overlooking The Fountains During Xmas
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to make mine about 2 -3 months in advance. I’d rather have a reservation and cancel it than to not have one and have to wait on a list at a restaurant.

Happy birthday to me!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These days there's no such thing as too far out, and even pre-COVID I would have said the same thing.

Just do others the courtesy of cancelling if you're not going to make it, rather than just being a no-show.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was recently at the Wynn I made a reservation at Allegro literally 90 minutes ahead of time and there was no problem. It was a Monday, but it was the same night as the Final Four championship game.

Belmont Stakes, baby!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually about a week out for me.

Haven't been in a while
  8. MCann

MCann VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to make at least some about a month out at least. Waited too long for this upcoming trip. We tried to make some this past weekend for this coming weekend, and a lot of places we were thinking about were fully booked so we had to take what we liked out of what was available. For example, I tried to book for 2 at GR Pub at Caesars Palace, where in my experience you could normally walk right in. They had no slots available between 14:15 and 21:45 6 or 7 days out. Certain other more popular places are frequently fully booked by 2 or 3 weeks out, Wicked Spoon comes to mind, and when I booked Wynn Buffet for 4th of July I booked in June within a few days of them re-opening, and for our 5 day stay, the only reservations available were a couple early bird spots on Wednesday or Thursday night, and the other 4 dates we were in town were 100% booked already. I do agree with everyone else; if you know where you want to eat, book it ASAP.

Suck it, Caesar!
    I convinced my family to have a small reunion ...at Tampa Hard Rock
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With so many restaurants so fully booked it is hard to understand why there are so many restaurants still closed!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jer

Jer I kinda did a thing...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As early as possible, but usually like a month out. I’m making some changes for the end of April trip and everywhere I’ve looked at had ample times available. But that was yesterday and it could be completely different today.

New MLife Offers Just Begging Me!
    Just Happy to be Invited!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. julia

julia Craps, VP & Microbews

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to this thread, I'm working on my reservations but it's really killing my love of spontaneity in Vegas. I usually only have a couple of dining reservations, and even then, usually move things around. Having to book ahead for everything is challenging! I just can't choose!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to hijack (but I will)...

I wish there was some database or list that one could use to review Vegas restaurant offerings. My wife is on a very low sodium diet, and I have spent a LOT of time researching this and trying to work with restaurateurs to identify and provide low sodium offerings. This is very tough to do for a 5+ day stay. So far, The Sparklings and Rachel's Kitchen have been far and away the most helpful, with The Sparklings even offering to make my wife a serving of mashed potatoes separately to make sure they are not salted.

Unfortunately, too many of the places we'd like to go result with calls to the restaurant manager going unanswered, or we are given a semi-polite "I am sorry, but with our volume it is impossible to make special servings or guarantee the protein is not pre-seasoned".

So to bring it around and end the hijack, I have been working on this since mid-February, and I've been making my reservations as part of this so that the kitchen staff knows when we are coming in.

Poker is BACK!!!
    Super Bowl or bust
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Echo27

Echo27 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please don’t feel the need to apologize! It is SO hard to plan for dietary issues. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to avoid sodium. I wish there was some database or better way to get info, too. Sometimes it’s nearly impossible to get ahold of someone at the restaurant itself.

For example, I find that with MGM properties they have a main reservation line but the person answering doesn’t know anything about any one particular restaurant (I don’t blame them for that, it’s not their job). I ask to be connected to the actual restaurant and the phone just rings off the hook. I have had some success in contacting the concierge of a given hotel and asking them to research it. It’s frustrating and annoying, but since my life is literally on the line I don’t really have a choice.

Good luck with the rest of your planning. I know exactly how much work it can be!

• Like Like x 1
  14. duceiswild

duceiswild Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed that you can't really make reservations too far in advance. For our upcoming trip, I booked in January for the end of April. As others have said, it is always easier to cancel than find something last minute. It does take away some of the spontaneity, but I would rather eat at the places we like or want to try than have to go to our third or fourth options. I imagine it would be even more critical with dietary restrictions, to make sure you get the restaurants you want that have dishes that you will enjoy. I can only speak to the weekends, and I imagine it is more critical on the weekends to make reservations than weekdays.

Don't forget about breakfast/brunch reservations. We were looking at moving our Saturday and Sunday brunch times around, and it wasn't possible because both Overlook and Bardot are fully booked around our times, so we have to stick with the original reservation times.

• Like Like x 1
  15. julia

julia Craps, VP & Microbews

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got dinner booked for all three nights of my trip. As I was debating times/venues, Bavette's filled up most Saturday time slots (!). Swapped for Gallagher's that night, which I've wanted to try for a while. I feel I can relax a little now, knowing that dinners are set. Monday I picked Best Friend. So, only one new-to-me spot, but that's ok.

16. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, no need to apologize. Really the big thing is to talk to the restaurant itself. It's hard to tell from the websites, even Picasso doesn't show that they have an entire vegetarian menu, and my ex (who was "pescetarian") had an entire alternative menu put together for her based on an advance call. It was bad enough before, but the internet is not reliable these days when it comes to Vegas dining.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NKR1978

NKR1978 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bavette’s wouldn’t let me make a reservation for one on either Open Table or the Mlife website. Emailed the Sky Suites concierge and they got me a reservation for 8:30 Saturday night. There were a ton of times available two weeks ago. So I think a month out is safe, especially as capacity increases. Carbone and Prime are my other two meals on this trip.

18. alexm

alexm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Echo27 I am an obsessive planner of things and just love looking at all the places and planning where to go and such. So I start making reservations as soon as I book a trip. Could be months out, or weeks out, but from that day up until the week before I am constantly tweaking something.

• Love Love x 1
  19. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Add Casa di Amore as a restaurant that has been very helpful in working on lower-sodium offerings for us.

Poker is BACK!!!
    Super Bowl or bust
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Echo27

Echo27 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am an obsessive planner, too, @alexm . Planning is part of the fun. My husband just shows up and goes along for the ride. I could never do that. I’d feel too out of control lol