1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How Early to Arrive for Flight to Mexico

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by johnvic, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am flying to Mexico, Puerto Vallarta, on Thursday morning from LaGuardia Airport. The flight leaves at 6 AM and has a stopover in Chicago. I am not checking luggage.

Do I really need to show up at 4 AM?

Despite the fact that I live in NYC, I never fly out of LaGuardia anymore. How bad is it to fly out of at that hour?

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The good news is that traffic will be lighter than midday flights.

You are not REQUIRED to show up that early. I assume you have done online checkin, and hopefully entered your passport info as well. Most airlines have a "cutoff" time for actual airport checkin. Since you are not checking bags, and assuming you have your boarding pass, you can go direct to security. Somewhere along the line, they still want to check your passport.

On a recent intl trip we were in the lounge until about 35 minutes before flight time and heard our names being announced. They needed to check our passports since we did not physically check in (carryon and pre printed boarding passes). No big deal.

Did not see which airline and have no idea of TSA at that hour. You might want to check at flyertalk.com for current info.

3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's going to depend on TSA. I've taken early flights and had a long slog through TSA because they aren't staffed well for the early flights. But I haven't been through La Guardia so I don't know how they do things there.

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown out of La Guardia a couple of times. That's one crappy airport. I didn't find their security lines to be worse than other busy airports I've flown out of. . Personally I wouldn't sweat it by trying to trim some time off, get there early, get everything taken care of and then relax, read a book, play with your phone, etc...

5. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, not a time for tree-of-liberty bravura.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Project yourself into the future for a minute.....what would it be like for you to hear "sorry, but this flight is closed, you should have been here 15 minutes sooner". What would that extra hour of sleep be worth at that point? Stating the obvious, I know. They will probably start boarding at 5:30 am.

LaGuardia seems to have really great airfares these days, hope you got one as a trade off for such an early departure.

I fly out of Philly and sometimes the TSA lines are crazy long, so unless I score a preboard, I get there early. I once missed a flight to Vegas due to horrible afternoon traffic and leaving a bag behind, fortunately my nephew was able to run it down to the airport. Never again.

There is another thread about sleep aids, prescription and otherwise. Might be a good time for a Valium.

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drive past La Guardia a couple times a week and its all under construction,,early AM may not be too bad .They recommend 3 hours early (at least they used to) for international flights. Good luck.

8. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't avoid LAX for an upcoming flight. With the drive down, remote parking, the damn shuttles, that it is LAX ... I'm giving a wide berth.

9. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all! American Airlines is advising 2 hours. I'll go with better safe than sorry.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you check in for International, they take maybe two minutes more with you at the desk, maybe.

But they tell you to be there an hour earlier.

Go figure?

11. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you're flying INT, where are you going and from which airport(s)?

12. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been twenty years since I flew to Mexico, but expect to be gassed with insecticide prior to landing and to be asked to fill out a form in a land without pens. Pack a pen!

13. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm flying American Airlines. Start at La Guardia, to Chicago ( ORD ), then to Puerto Vallarta. No checked luggage.

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think arriving at fourish time will be okay. Are you able to take the next flight if you missed this flight?

Many years ago I was going on a 7 a.m. flight and when I arrived very early.... the front desk workers were not there yet. It was the first flight out of Delta at LAX.

Some body said about taking a valium or a sleep aid. For what? You can't drug your self while you have to do a plane change or fall asleep on the plane and miss your connection. Some people have made that mistake.

Have lots of fun at Puerto Valarta. GO shopping at the Mexican Wal-Mart that does have Mexican products. lol. LucyR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.