1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How about them Golden Knights!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by JRRestoule, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VGK has to at least come up with a solid win in game 5 in front of their home crowd, because their performance in DC has been garbage.

2. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are done , they wont win 3 games in a row, Great season , Feel bad for Fleury

3. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah before the series started I thought it would go 5, the winner depending on if the Knights won both in Vegas or if the Caps were able to manage a split or better out West. But I thought all the individual games would be close. The two in Vegas kind of were close......Caps player wasn't able to stuff the tying goal at the end of Game 1 due to McNabb making a good D play, and then I thought Tuch could've put more mustard on his tying attempt in Game 2, although Holtby made a great save regardless.

These two games in DC have seen a flustered VGK team. After tonight, they need to be able to at least send it back to DC for a game 6.

4. Brando95

Brando95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great run but barring a comeback tonight the Caps have it. Washington is just a better team overall. Fleury got them this far and their shot was that he'd continue his play and that Holtby would be shaky (as he's been before) but Holtby has been pretty solid this series.

This is the final that i wanted because obviously I love Vegas and if my team (dallas) can't be there I'll root for them in the West as I can't stand any other Western Conf. team. Torn though because my brother lives outside of DC and him and his friends are all big Caps fans. They've also never won and I want Ovi to win a Cup.

Happy for Vegas though because I know what a run like this can do to pull fans into the sport in a non-traditional market. There's nothing like playoff hockey and now that the fans have had a taste of this they're hooked.

9th Island stopover on the way to Hawaii
  5. Bryan84

Bryan84 Hard six coming out! - Vegas Vacation

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s. It over yet. Crazy things happen, however it looks like the Caps are all around just a better team. Their offense is much more potent.

6. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been a Capitals fan way too long to be overconfident, but I sure am hoping that the Cup heads back to DC with them after the next game rather than being transported by the NHL alone...

I was reminiscing with friends about the last Finals the Caps were in the other night during game #3. The subject was Game #3 in the 1998 series, which I flew in from Detroit to see (I was on temporary duty there; I was normally in the DC area). Detroit was a damned good team then, and the Caps seemed to never get that one break that would allow them to win at least one game in the series. I saw a lot of breaks go the Caps way the past three games...

I knew a few of the folks around the team at that time via youth hockey. GMGM was there then...and now he is in Vegas. He is largely responsible for obtaining about 75% of the players in the finals.

Anyway, #ALLCAPS!!!

7. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's over, people. The Capitals are clearly the better team in the series, they look bigger and are playing more physical, yet in control. Vegas looks like they have hit "the wall" in a physical sense, always a step behind and too much time in their own zone.

As one who has no dog in the fight (Blackhawks fan here) I had hoped for a more competitive series, but it appears not to be. Maybe the extra day helps Vegas, and a night of home cooking, but they sure do look beat.

8. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could have hoisted The Cup... My buddy called me up in the summer of 2010 and says "Let's go to such and such a night club tonight". I'm like "Dude, we haven't gone to places like that in over 15 years! No thanks." He pleaded with me and told me that I wouldn't regret it if I went but wouldn't tell me why it was so important to go. I decided to stay home with my wife and sick son, who got sick that afternoon as we were waiting in line to get our picture taken with the Stanley Cup! You see, the Blackhawks had won the Cup and Kris Versteeg brought it home. We waited over an hour and still had about 15-20 minutes until we were at the front of the line, but my son got sick. So, we left. No picture with the Cup. I was much disappoint. So, when my friend calls me I had no clue what was going to happen.

The next morning I saw a picture on his Facebook page, he was in the night club he wanted to go to and he was lifting the Stanley Cup high above his head. I swore. He knew Versteeg was taking the Cup there that night. Had I gone if he told me the Cup would be there? I'm not entirely sure, actually. I don't think I would have believed him.

The next day my other friend has a picture of him hoisting the Cup. His wife is 2nd cousins with Kris Versteeg and Versteeg had a close friends and family party at his house. I didn't think they were that close of family but... lucky guy!

Also over that two day event, Kris Versteeg played a game of street hockey for the Stanley Cup with his child hood friends. They grew up playing for an imaginary trophy on the street in front of his house, so they were going to his mom's house (the house he grew up in) and they played street hockey for the actual Stanley Cup. I lived only 2 minute drive away so I tried to drive near the area. Everybody was trying to do the same thing. Couldn't even get a glimpse of the game without parking and walking for 15 minutes! Oh, well, I was in the same town as the Cup, right? ... that didn't actually help.

Fast forward to 2015. Kris Versteeg was back on the Hawks and they won the Stanley Cup again! I wasn't missing out if he brought the Cup this time, no sir! I took both my boys, and reminded my oldest that what happened last time and under no circumstances was it ever going to happen again. No kid was getting sick in line to see the Cup! Thankfully he was older and understood the Cup better, so if he was going to get sick, he would have pushed through it until we got home... he wasn't sick. I got a picture of Kris Versteeg, my two sons and I, all touching the Stanley Cup together. I haven't washed my hands since! (okay, I have). Totally made up for missing the cup 5 years prior.

I haven't watched very much playoff hockey this year. I mean, I have, but normally I watch one game a night from start to finish. This year I've picked up periods or parts of periods here or there. I've just been busy. However, now that Washington is one win away from drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup, I'm watching every single game in it's entirety. I have not missed a Stanley Cup winning game since... at least 1985, probably even 1984 or 1983. I've watched every single team hoist the cup since then. I just love to see players realize their lifetime dreams of hoisting the big silver shiny trophy above their heads. As I've aged I've even begun to shed tears of joy for each player, even players I disliked. The Stanley Cup is not an object to be worshiped, but it is a symbol of excellence, hard work and dreams coming true.

The best part of the Stanley Cup? The players get the Stanley Cup, not the owners or managers. The players touch it first. The players are the ones who sacrifice their bodies to win, they put in all the hard work. They want to win it the most. They are the most ecstatic to win it. They show the most emotion when being handed the trophy. If there's only one thing that hockey does right, it's the trophy presentation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great post Tmoney.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JRRestoule

JRRestoule VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's go boys!!

Vegas_Golden_Knights.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well holy shit.

Season's over, but what an amazing, incredible ride it was! I was genuinely happy watching the Caps win, seeing Ovechkin and the team's reaction. It was just a long-time coming and well deserved. Both sides played well in this last game.

This was my first year being "into" hockey. Last year, I tried to watch games because it's my boyfriend's sport. I tried to be enthusiastic. Having a team based in my favorite city, plus players like Fluery, Karlsson, Neal and others, actually kept me engaged. Our rocky start with the goalies and injuries and the Vegas tragedy was hard....but the guys kept going and made it farther than anyone thought possible. I am really excited to see what next year will bring, and hope I can make it to a few live games.

#itsknighttime #goknightsgo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. eliza

eliza Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sad to see the season end. Vegas had a great run. And I suppose I can't expect the Pens to win the cup every year.

The Caps had a great year. Happy to see Ovi, Backstrom, et al. raise the cup. Living in DC, I expect a lot of extremely hung over folks tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    65's reaction tho...[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    next year

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great year for the Knights... Now they only have 4 months to shore up the defense, especially on the power play. Way to many open net goals and odd man breakaways.

Lets just get my Avalanche back in the playoffs again and this time do something with the opportunity.

16. RTD122418

RTD122418 Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas knights inaugural season will be remembered for a long time. Cheers!

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wooo! :drunk:

:woohoo:

18. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has to be the greatest first year major professional sports team season ever. Teams work for decades to get that shot at the Final - it's a freak of nature to see this. It sucks to lose, especially when that close to the holy grail, but it's a real accomplishment to not only get that far - but to do it so quickly.

I watched Mario Lemeiux's Pittsburgh Penguins hoist that cup between the indian head logos in Chicago Stadium, and that burned like fire. It took 18 years thereafter to finally get it. I thought I would never see one in the hands of the Blackhawks but fortunes finally changed. I suspect that there's a good chance Vegas won't have to wait that long.

Congrats to the Capitals because they earned it, and congrats to the Knights for shocking the helloutofus all. Great story, even absent the storybook ending.

• Love Love x 1
  19. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great job Caps!!! Congrats to the Knights too on their first season and how well they did! They will be back in full force next season!

• Like Like x 1
  20. WHU66

WHU66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great year, well done Knights! The franchise has been a success, coming from the UK, the only team I have been interested in. Went to a game last October and loved it, followed that with a trip to Tampa in December to see the Bolts just to watch more hockey. No sleep last night streaming the game! I'm hooked and I'm sure I am not the only one. Well done Vegas!!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.