1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hopping, Skipping, and Jumping Around: 10/3-10/5 capsule TR

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by spinette, Oct 5, 2018.

1. spinette

spinette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Humble Beginnings

Humble beginnings--yes, humble beginnings. Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, there was Spinette's 24-hour capsule TR, which was loaded to the gills with kind of half-done, offish-type things like propitiating the gods of the golden arches. Especially take note of my time at the D:

mcdeath.jpg

Here is a link to "humble beginnings":
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/24-hour-flash-trip-to-lv.114759/

Now, though, with close to 10 trips under my belt, I am effectively done apprenticing in, having made full journey. So here's the journey!

Journeying In

The journey started on my laptop. If you search for some of my other TRs, along with doing a meta-search of Google to show the proliferation of very cheap ($5-$10 each way) bus service, you'll find out why I finally decided "I've had it" with driving. (Cranking out the miles lost its novelty, and the road just seems to get more dangerous and more like the Desert Grand Prix. )

I booked a round-trip ticket just a few hours before the bus was scheduled to leave, and there was only one other person for a full hour--we had the whole bus to ourselves. "Is there Wi-Fi," the other asks. "Yes, there's a router," I say. Those routers are very garrulous, though, and flake out a lot. After fiddling with the Internet connection a few times, I just conceded and decided to try to sleep on the way there. No car this trip; just my legs and the bus (shared with a few backpackers from Europe).

We got into town about 30 minutes late: construction crews had Las Vegas Blvd. down to just one lane, and we had to go straight, make a U-turn in an intersection, wait for a left turn for almost 15 minutes, and wait in more traffic (several minutes) for a few hundred feet until we pulled in adjacent to Caesars.

The Appurtenances of Life

Filigree, ornamentation, embellishment--and nostalgia! I went to the diamond and seven stars check-in area with my backpack and asked for an upgrade to a strip-facing room, but was only given a side-facing room which has an oblique view of the Bellagio fountains. I thought it a bit disingenuous to say that the room faces the strip, but hey--the room itself was pretty good, and best of all, free. There was a huge spa bathtub and a walk-in shower, two beds on which to sprawl self and effects, a strange square lamp that took me almost 20 minutes to figure out ("we'll send up an engineer"--no, I don't think so), and a minibar with the Keurig cups I forgot to bring from home. I mean really...full-scale journey-level skills and no Keurig? See TR above.

Ellis Island?

I really think it was my first time at Ellis and my having won some money that made me want to go a few more times. Read on, though, and give it a good think.

Ellis is right down Flamingo and on Koval Rd. It was an easy walk and I went right in, played some deuces wild, and got a coupon for their steak special and a few BBQ coupons. (Last time I went, the special was not not good: the steak was old and their version of "fixing it" was to serve a cold, microwaved piece of ---- and call it a dinner. I decided to immediately cut my action and walk.) One of the hostesses spoke to me in Spanish, and I understood her words and replied "solamente uno (table for one)." She seemed surprised I understood her and looked off to the side in a kind of stark way. Gee whiz--this is the west. Everyone speaks Spanish now ("el tiene algunas palabras..."). Rocket docket, please! The same lady said "buenos suerte con su comida (good luck with your food)" after I was seated. From data on the net, I discovered Ellis underwent a change in management in the last year. If you want to brush up on your Spanish, stop by for dinner!

This time, though, I went for the big burger. Now I'm used to big portions and have been called a competitive eater a few times, so I figured the "insomnia burger" or whatever it was called (the one with the half pound of meat) would need to be "doubled" to be substantial. I asked for doubling, and the food was piping hot (great!), but only had taste about halfway through. A fair meal (I could have easily eaten another), but a bit pricey at $15.

"Where is my satchel"?

I did not forget about that time I went to Cosmo and spent $500 in the HL room in a matter of 10 minutes. Wanting my satchel back, I came back and had a Macallan on the house while playing 70c at a time on a video poker machine. I had to make up an act at a few bars since I was trying to pull down shelf drinks while spinning quarter blackjack or a few dimes on video poker. Tipping did help, and a few places were pouring me some pretty-good-sized glasses. There was a group of 4 or 5 that was chiding me a little bit but then just gave me blank stares as the barkeeper was preparing my drink. I made tracks and went inside--nope, just kidding--just outside the HL room to play penny video poker. Boy does it hurt if you don't get those deuces! It didn't hurt too bad, since I was there for just a few moments and wanted to get to my hotel room to relax for the night in the giant tub.

Downtown Deuce

This trip was on-foot and by bus. The Deuce seemed quite slow, but buses are all about overhead, and most of the time was spent waiting for people getting onto the bus and settling into their seats. I got downtown and decided to go to Plaza since that place seems to me to have that kind of "authentic" feel to it, like people who were there from the beginning. It was very early, though, and the person who signed me up for the card had me do all the paperwork myself. I joked that I felt like a meter maid writing tickets, and someone half-giggled. There was a slot tournament later in the day. While waiting, I put $100 through the machines and tried to diversify my portfolio by playing some top dollar, not just VP. After that, I headed to the D, had a comped lunch (beef au jus, Kennedy's favorite dish), and played some VP at the Vue Bar with a couple of older folks. The server was great--"she's a store-bought gal!"

Main Street

I always go to main street, but this trip was especially important. As you probably know, Boyd changed their slot club to, according to one person, comport with Strip policy. "So you're turning into a Caesar's"? I wonder if CET will buy out Boyd in the coming years.... I had their buffet (passable, but expensive for the selection), got some coffee at Boar's head (and was issued a comp slip...tip, please!), and then went to a full-pay bonus poker with DSTP featuring a return of more than 100% when played well. And it seems Boyd programmed this possiblity in. Over the course of two days, I cycled several hundred through the machine and didn't get a single tier point!! But with Boyd being somewhat broken, I am guessing just sitting down and playing the machine generated some kind of teaser offer.

Rest Stop

The heat was starting to beat down hard, so I figured I would spend some of the hottest hours back at CP in nap (siesta) mode. I noticed the right-side lamp was starting to flicker badly, potentially indicating a terminating condition. I looked at it for a minute or two, thinking that if the light died, they would turn on a free buffet (or even a free night) for me, but nevermind. I just decided to rest and leave the quibbling aside.

Ellis the Second

Yes, I decided to go back to Ellis for some drinks. There was a seat open at the center square bar and I had a coca-cola when, after a few minutes, an older, portly man dressed in a black shirt sat to my left. The bartender seemed to know him and told him that he was "representing." Oh brother. Great...here come the effeminate, legato gestures and creepy stares. The luck factor was terrible: $17 gone on nickel VP (NSUD) in a matter of 20 minutes. That's quite a bit. Yikes!

All in all, I thought Ellis had seen better days and that it was time to shut down. The steak special was so badly botched last time, and this time there was kind of bad oddness, so I went back to the Strip and decided to try to drink my way up to Las Vegas.

Drink Tour

I started at the Cromwell. Since I'm diamond with CET, I figured I could just flash my card and get what was on call or on low shelf. I went to the bar, asked for a glenlivet, and was told I'd need to put a $20 in there and play at least a $1. W...w...wait a minute. I am diamond with Caesars Entertainment, Inc. As a diamond cardholder, I expect to drink for free. Notice the absence of quotes: I didn't actually say any of these things, but the barkeeper said he'd do me a "favor" this time. ID please. Thank you for your cooperation, sir. No...thank you. I almost never stiff, but that was the one instance.

Next was the Linq. I had a martini gin straight and this time there was no baloni. The barkeeper seemed happy to have me, and I felt great feeling like I just had lighter fluid. (Maybe he's powered by alcohol? Poke. Sorry...this is Las Vegas, and I am going to drink!) The next stop on the Harvard Campu---drink tour--was Harrah's. This time, a macallan 18. A bit tipsy now...glad to be on foot and on public transport. This was the halfway point and I figured that I really ran bad for the first part of the trip, so I went to Walgreens to get some cash without the hefty ATM fees and stopped into (1) the Plaza for a very expensive "panini" sandwich on white bread, (2) main street for some coffee and quad aces with king kicker (!), and (3) more drinking at the Vue (except "sorry, Macallan is not on comp today"...good luck!). I hit a straight flush for $88 but gave about $35 of it back chasing low quads at $40 on the meter. The verdict: I always had at least decent service (service, that is) when I tipped. In the rare case I thought tipping was not justified, I just moved on. Bar exam: passing score! Tuition: not terrible. And yes, it appears I do have teasers now ("he knows the law"). There's the chiding laughter and forced sniffing through the nose. Very crazy.

I returned to the Cosmo for one more drink. I think unofficially cosmopolitan shuts down at 2 A.M: they bring out the floor buffers and the whole place just seemed to go into maintenance mode. I was hoping to get a buffet out of the machine...we'll see! Drink service was sparse, but when I was seen, I was attended to with...of course, a cosmopolitan. I got in about 3 AM and just crashed on the bed.

For next time: planning. My trips are just not planned well and I need to matrix things a little better. Hope you enjoyed reading!

• Like Like x 1
  2. arcsix

arcsix Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR, thanks for sharing!

I did not know there was such a variant, can you share the paytable details and location?

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Full Pay" 8/5 Bonus w/Double STP only pays back 99.67% with optimal play. They may have got zero tier points though because they didn't get $151.51 coin-in before quitting the machine? *shrug* I'm playing 5 play in this picture for a reason here... And this was an all star II unit.

[​IMG]

Nice report @spinette!

4. spinette

spinette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right...I got a little ahead of myself. The scratch cards actually add about 1%, and I was adding that in when I shouldn't have. The machines at BH bar can be played close to, but not quite, 100% with scratch cards if I'm not mistaking.

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah with scratchers, it will push that nickel game return over 100%. 9/6 JoB quarters is at least 99.93% with scratchers. So even with the rough Boyd VP status changes, the scratchoffs still help MSS look appealing.