1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Home Monitoring Apps?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jgates8, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking not for an entire home security system, but some type of iPhone app set-up that will monitor temperature in your house.

Trying to convince my husband to vacation with us next January but concerns about heat going out in the winter has him not keen on going. (That one easy thing - igniter? - went out again this winter. We always have one on hand at least for that).

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not an app because I only got a smartphone this year, but I have Freezealarm from Control Products that I have used for years. Set it up, plug it into a phone jack and it monitors the temperature. If the temp drops below 50 degrees, it automatically dials a number you have pre-programed to alert you. Peace of mind when traveling during Wisconsin winters. Obviously, you still have to call somebody to deal with the problem.

I don't remember what I paid for it, because it was 20 years ago.

3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Joe - I see Amazon has those for $132 which I am guessing is same that you have. At least something to start with.

Except does appear to need a land-line????

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I am new to smartphones, I was looking at remote accessible cameras and apps. A cheaper option might be to buy a camera you can access with an app and point the camera at a big thermometer in the house. Just a thought. 20 years ago I know I didn't pay $132.

5. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That might be a better option lol

6. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could always get a smart thermostat. I've got an Ecobee, and I can check/change the temp of my place from anywhere. I've forgotten to set it to vacation when going out of town before, and works like a charm.

7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is probably the better way to go. I think Nest makes some like these and they work with your houses Wifi network so you can access them from your phone.

8. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have been looking at smart thermostats too. Ecobee has great reviews.

Our house has two stories, but one thermostat which is a pain, so I like the idea of an app you can set/adjust anywhere (including Vegas!)

Just make sure you have a C-wire installed if you choose this option (a smart thermostat). Just remove your thermostat and see if there is a C-wire in the spot it should be. If you DON'T have one, you'll have to have an electrician set you up. If you DO have one, it seems to be a pretty simple install. Just make sure to take a picture of how the wires are plugged in BEFORE you remove your current thermostat! :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  9. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Ecobee comes with a plug if you don't have a C-wire. Since I'm in an apartment, I don't have one. And, a nice thing with the Ecobee is it has remote sensors. My computer room is almost always 10-15 warmer than the rest of my place. With a sensor it evens out the temp. With that sensor, it helps. And, it'll notice if you're gone, and have it go into away mode.

They also have a nice web site where you can monitor your usage, and program it. You don't have to do everything from your phone or on the unit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Ecobee is also wireless.Took me about 2 min to connect it via the thermostat.

11. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look at Apple Home Kit or whatever the equivalent is for Android.

We've (I - the wife thinks it's a waste of money) have been getting into pretty extensively - Through HomeKit we can control a selection of lights (kitchen, dining room, family room), thermostat. I haven't found good exterior security cameras but we got a pretty decent 4 camera DVR from Amazon for the outside. It doesn't work via HomeKit but it has it's own app - so cameras shoot the front door, back door, driveway towards the street and driveway towards the garage.

So - while on vacation / business trip - we can lower the thermostat remotely, turn on lights when it gets dark out (and turn them back off when the sun comes up) and keep an eye / be notified of someone approaching the house via the cameras.

I don't like remote door locks - I don't think I trust something like that (yet) but they are available in case something happens and you need to let family in to deal with a problem in the house (broken water pipe happened to my uncle last year while he was on vacation and dad had to run over and turn off the line, etc...)

Theres various water sensors, security systems, etc... all a matter of how much you want to spend / level of paranoia / control, lol...

Attached Files:

12. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. Appreciate all of the info. My son was going to check into Nest for us. I'll mention the other ideas too.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While we're on the topic, does anyone know a reliable program for X10 devices? Ever since I went to Win10, my Active Home Pro has become unreliable when I download to the controller. Modules come on at the wrong time or one doesn't come on at all. Time of day programs have a mind of their own etc. X10 is no longer in business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.