1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Holy Temp Records Batman!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by joespoolhall, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's too damned hot! Last summer I asked if we could get some ductless units into certain rooms to keep them cool, but Dan wanted to "do more research" and here we are again. :cool:

I've got my old portable sitting in front of me all day and all night. I can't really walk much away from it or I start to melt, but it's making it manageable to have it blowing on me..

On Friday, we tried the foil and cardboard over the East facing windows trick and it seems to be helping a little bit. It's not classy but effective. We can keep it about 10 degrees below the outside temperature but that doesn't mean much when it's over 100. The worst part is that we don't get enough cooling at night. Normally we can cool the house way down overnight with fans in the windows. This morning we only got it down to 78 before having to shut everything.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where do you live Catzilla?

NFL Wild Card Weekend!
  3. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About an hour ago on local news, a viewer outside of the station made cookies with a sheet on the sidewalk. She brought them in to the on air people. They didn't crisp up, but were cooked, just a little gooey.
    Back here at the ranch, it's a little after five and about 105. It shouldn't get much worse. fingers crossed that this is the worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About 40 miles southeast of you, south of Scotts Mills. (east of Silverton)

5. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @booker I should have taken a video of them splashing around. So cute. Mostly robins. They seemed to enjoy the sprinkler too. I also filled a water trough for the deer and saw the little piebald out there getting a drink. The cats got confined to the air conditioned part of the house and acted like they were being abused.

• Love Love x 2
  7. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok. Howdy neighbor. Damn hot in our neck of the woods these days.

NFL Wild Card Weekend!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was out on the west coast last week. Heard at that time they were expecting high temps. One day I was I took a trip inland to The Dalles and it was about 90. Ick!!!!
    Try and keep cool everyone. We've also had an abundance of above average temps here in MN.

BIG Birthday Celebration
    Second half stay
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rookies11

Rookies11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve had Central Air in my place for 35 of my 40 years here. It’s essential here in the East, mainly due to the humidity. Couldn’t sell a home here, without it.

Because we’ve lost some trees and the new city planted ones aren’t huge yet, the upstairs can get toasty, so we repel the sun’s blast in the window with one of those car windshield screens. I would add a portable unit, but am awaiting next fall to complete any remaining knob n tube wiring up there.

10. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's official. We hit 108 yesterday and Portland hit 116!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  11. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    116? The Portland Trailblazers never even hit that

• Funny Funny x 7
  12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was painful last night. We had the portable unit just blowing cold air on us on the couch. The fan was on swivel and we each would complain it was too hot when one of us was getting the full blast of air, but didn't put it stationary in the middle because we both wanted the full blast, even if only for a second.

Our outside thermometer only got to 101, but it was 90 degrees inside and quite uncomfortable. Even in the basement it was well into the 80s. Ugh. I hope we don't do that again this year. Normally our temps here top out at 75 degrees, and that's usually not until well into July and August. 65 is the normal daily temperature for June, and we usually get a bunch of bouts of rain. This is HIGHLY unusual for what we like to refer to as Juneuary in Seattle.

Was amazing around midnight last night when you could literally feel the marine layer coming back in to the area. Temps dropped quickly about 10 degrees and it was in the low 60's when I woke up.

Hot again today, hotter away from the water where I was all day. It's only 78 in the house today, so fans are enough, but I would rather go back to "normal".

13. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sleeping was not good the first half, second much better. Not sure what it hit today, but I don't think it got past the mid eighties. Forcast was for 90-94, depending on who you believe, so it was welcomed in my place. Still going to pick up a couple of window units. I can get a number of 5,000 BTU units for about $150. This'll cover 150 sq ft, which is fine. Our rooms are only 12x12.

14. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "Heat Dome" is centred north of the border, over the interior of BC. Lytton, about 150 miles up the Fraser from Vancouver, hit 49.6 Celsius today .... that's 121+F! Finally cooling down beginning tomorrow.

GG

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. NightOwl

NightOwl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know I am late to this thread but...people please be careful! Like drink water, but also Gatorade/Powerade/Pedialyte/whatever with electrolytes is important. The bf is an EMT in the Palm Springs area and he sees a lot of dehydrated people this time of year. It was very odd seeing the temps for the PNW but I hope everyone is being safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Echo27

Echo27 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m on the east side (Snoqualmie Valley) and it got to be 115 by us! I have been in the PNW for two decades and I’ve never seen anything like this.

Thankfully, we had a portable unit in our bedroom and a kiddie pool in the backyard. It’s funny that I couldn’t wait for it to be 90 on Tuesday. What a relief. Glad all of you stayed as safe and cool as possible.