1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

High winds-WTF

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Vegasdriven58, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegasdriven58

Vegasdriven58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

:eek:This might be a weird way to start a TR, but I am always looking for the perfect weather situation for my trips, and it was looking that way (not into 90+ temps) up until tonight, when I noticed the high wind warning which should be starting just about the time our plane hits the Tarmac - hopefully not before.

Ok, despite that, the trip will consist of myself, and Mom. Usually have a trip with Mom in spring and one with hubs in fall. We have 3 nights comped Delano, and 3 Venetian. Can't promise anything terribly exciting, moderate amounts of gambling, drinking, and eating- but all quality! I will try to post lots of pics, maybe I will pst pics of more exciting people, and say they are us:wink2:. But hey it's Vegas, you never know what might happen.

We will be using our full complement of myVegas rewards, cause we like free stuff, and also to offset the beating we are taking with our measly little Can $. We also like Vegas happy hours-2 women can eat and drink for very little, while still enjoying the high life, and freeing up funds for you know what- may the gambling gods be with us.

Ok, off to bed, gotta get up at 4am, hopefully will be in Vegas by 11:30 am, just before that major windstorm hits.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Robdude

Robdude Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m with you, just noticed the forecast for 50+ mph winds tomorrow and Thursday... our flight is tomorrow night during the worst of it.

Daughters Cheerleading competition
  3. TenTimesPay$

TenTimesPay$ Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :cool::cool::cool:When you win money it’s like you hit the jackpot twice. If your careful and don’t spend it all there :)

4. Bonzai

Bonzai Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We arrive Friday afternoon so have also been checking the weather. Hope the wind dies down by then. Looks like great weather for the week especially since our last 2 trips have been in the summer with 110+ temps! Looking forward to being able to walk around this trip.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas is frequently very breezy in the spring. Bad Hair Advisory Days abound!

• Like Like x 1
  6. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am leaving tomorrow night and have watch the weather go from mid 80s forecasted with clear skies, to windy and low 70s. Disappointing since I look forward to the pool and daytime outdoor activities.

Stayed at Vdara 10 or so years ago during peak summer and high winds and the wind tunnel between those buildings through the pool area is dangerous. Not sure if they have fixed it since, remember hearing the sun reflections off the buildings made the Vdara pool hazardous in some spots.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year in late March, the promenade at the Linq was a major wind tunnel. We were sitting in Off The Strip watching all kinds of debris (and people) being blown down the walk there!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have fun and good luck! My favorite "prepared" moment was a couple of years ago we went in March and the wind suddenly became brutal and it was already very chilly that night. They raided every store for sweatshirts and such. Me? Had a fleece for the plane trip and tossed it on heading out, haha.

9. Mnguy763

Mnguy763 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am scheduled to arrive tomorrow at the height of these ferocious forecasted winds. Not much any of us will be able to do but drown our sorrows in an airport bar and hope for the best!

Side note...I am coming from Minnesota where it is still snowing, so I will be at the pools even if I end up seeing the wicked witch of the west!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just remember pilots have thousands of hours of training and landing in wind (or any particularly extreme weather) is second nature for them. It may be bumpy and jerky but I guarantee they've done it hundreds of times before and in way worse conditions.

That said, I hope you still make the best of your trip out and the wind doesn't change your plans too much once you're on the ground :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several years ago we were down there for big winds......not sure exactly when but pools were open.

Not quite sure how it happened, I know we were staying at Caesars for a conference for Mrs. Rusty but somehow we manged to get in to the Caesars pool area while it was shut down for high winds. It was really cool being able to walk around everywhere in that giant complex while it was a ghost town.

One wind caveat......if you wear contacts be aware that the desert sand blows up and down the Strip like a demon and will wedge sand under your contacts if you are unlucky. You end up doing quite an unscripted dance trying to get the contact out in the middle of the sidewalk.

Have fun.....good luck :beer:

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in Vegas when a High Winds warning was going on. We all laughed. We are from Chicago, the Windy City, and we know what it is like for wind to whip off the massive lake and funnel between skyscrapers before knocking you on your ass.

So we wandered outside to spit in the wind, and we almost fucking died! It was crazy, palm trees were bending, sand was blasting us in the face and we watched one of those Stupid Billboard trucks nearly tip over!

Vegas wind is no joke!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hoping they made it and not a dreaded delay or cancellation!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Vegasdriven58

Vegasdriven58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    24774A91-7AA5-4A77-A050-1C96D6A810B3.jpeg
    E9AC4D6D-90F4-48ED-BCFF-14C9AC48045A.jpeg

All good here. Flight was a breeze(pun intended).
    Delano is lovely. Yes it is windy but managed an hr at the pool late afternoon.
    Slot play no luck, but got a couple nice hands on VP at mizuya bar.
    Played that off on ultimate x, but was fun.
    Had the buffet for lunch. MyVEGAS comp- no complaints.
    Happy hour at foundation room. Wine and a charcuterie platter and great conversation with a couple from Philly on the patio. Very nice.

Hope to hit up Cosmo tomorrow for the better part of the day. Nightie night

• Like Like x 7
  15. Michelle

Michelle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love going in May, but yes the high winds flying in. In the past they’ve told us as soon as we’ve boarded that we would be experiencing high winds. So we buckle up halfway through the flight and you get that feeling of the plane lifting and falling without notice. It usually is only the last 40 min of the flight and I’m too busy looking at the sights!

16. martinr

martinr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe the wind will kick the High Roller into high gear and turn it into a thrill ride!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Vegasdriven58

Vegasdriven58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, believe it or not I had some pool time in the morning. Delano pool seems to be a little sheltered from the wind, so it was actually quite lovely.
    We did Aria buffet for lunch on myVEGAS comp. It really is a great buffet.
    Then we went to Cosmo and spent about 4 hrs trying to earn the 1000 tier credits I needed for Sterling. Love Cosmo but why does it have to be so confusing trying to find out where you stand. I started out with 75 free play offer( turned it into 40), then played till I thought I was close, then went to check at identity and was told zi was very close. Played some more and went back and was told I still needed 430 to reach Sterling.
    We then headed to miracle mile for a tshirt for hubby. He won’t like it, I’m not a good shopper, but he has to punish me for going to Vegas without him by making me go shppping for him.
    We made a last attempt to get that 1000 at Cosmo, but didn’t quite make it, I may go back in the next few days.
    I wanted to go to Rose rabbit lie for happy hour, I wasn’t sure how Mom would enjoy it but figured we couldn’t go wrong with hh.
    Well, they don’t do happy hour anymore, but r decided to go in anyway. Unfortunately they have eliminated some of the really good (value) items from their menu. As well they have increased drink prices to 20 and above. We also didn’t get to experience all that much of the entertainment. I’m afraid Mom was not too impressed. As for myself, I probably won’t be back. As anything it was good while it lasted.
    We got a Lyft back to MB, where I playe ultmate X. Managed to win 100 on that

75E16BF3-EF0C-43BE-9736-0614EA604527.jpeg 111D86F7-6A7E-49DE-BD84-A987910F46BF.jpeg
    44957B68-4A71-47F1-AE7B-68FFB9285477.jpeg B932FDCA-6811-4A6A-8D6A-8923E50B5FE7.jpeg
    7D854CE4-4B73-4BD8-A2FD-0127379ABC6F.jpeg 01C28044-FF55-4C76-A042-408AE12FCAAB.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Vegasdriven58

Vegasdriven58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    E8230093-6FAB-4E73-9074-6A81D94EA782.jpeg E8C05742-71E1-482D-8E45-2E62D8672E6F.jpeg F4C7F12D-8B12-4AD8-8AFD-9E2E248D0AFF.jpeg F4C7F12D-8B12-4AD8-8AFD-9E2E248D0AFF.jpeg 1C5C063E-FDD5-44DC-A56A-9CA3EF7407B2.jpeg Hmm. Thought that last pic was of my 6 x 3s which was certainly more impressive than those Queens. Have had a couple of As hits(bonus poker), slots are doing nothing for us, I often see the hits some people get in their trip reports- makes me jealous. Oh well, onward!
    Thought I would throw in some pics of Delano room,as we are moving to Benetian today.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm continuing my move around Vegas, but I really liked Delano (and MB, in general) and want to stay there again at some point, even if I do a one-nighter. Hope you have a jackpot filled day!!

20. queentata

queentata High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Landing in that crazy wind can be crazy! Scares the hell out of me.Glad you didn't have too bad of a flight. I'd love to go to Vegas in good weather. We always go in the summer or winter. My husband retires this year, so maybe we will go in better weather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.