1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Helping With Baseball Withdrawal Pain

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by topcard, Mar 22, 2020.

1. omahatovegas

omahatovegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a Yankee fan, that one was extremely painful. Not quite as bad as 2004 being up 3-0 in the ALCS only to lose 4 straight to the Red Sux. That crap dragged on for days. 3-1? Okay, we got this. 3-2? Beginning to worry. 3-3? Holy F*ck! What the hell!

No baseball really, really sucks. I know in the grand scheme of things, it should be a minor complaint, but my job is repetitive, and really freaking boring. The at bat app on my phone and the ability to listen to any game audio for the entire season for $20 was one of the only things keeping me sane at work! Well, that and frequent trips to Vegas everytime a federal holiday rolls around.

2. NittyOne

NittyOne High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well no I’m convinced that most teams and particularly the big market teams where essentially doing the same thing as Stros. The difference being that the Stros where the perfect scapegoat. Not a big name team with recent success. This is why the penalties where minor as if they where too severe the players would’ve come out and stated who else was cheating. The mastermind of this was Carlos Beltran who came to the Stros from the Yanks and told them they where “behind the times", when it came to how they should implement cheating techniques the Yankees and other teams where using.

If shady teams like Yanks didn’t cheat first Astros would’ve of never cheated.

“An anecdote about Beltrán — when he was a special advisor with the Yankees — telling fellow employees that Houston was doing, "Nothing anybody else is doing."”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4735079002

https://wfan.radio.com/media/files/are-the-astros-being-used-as-a-scapegoat-for-cheating-scandals-home-home

3. topcard

topcard Re-Open Vegas!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was Cora...
    In any event, it's stopped now... and I think the 2019 WS just goes to show that neither team enjoyed any kind of home field advantage, within the rules or not.
    As for the 2017 Astros? Just look at their ROAD record...no trash cans in play there... I think they absolutely were the best team in baseball that season... which is one reason why the cheating scandal hurts so much.
    Prior to MLB stopping the 2020 season, every book in Vegas had them still picked to take the AL West, and most had them as a favorite to win the 2020 WS....them, the Dodgers or the Yankees.
    mlb-futures.JPG

4. NittyOne

NittyOne High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cora was the “ringleader” who made the thing work day in and day out but Beltrán was the “mastermind”. Astros are idiots they played on the road without the cheating, it probably screwed with there rhythm.

5. topcard

topcard Re-Open Vegas!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Precisely my point... regardless of the home-field shenanigans , they demonstrated that they were the best in MLB that year with their road games alone...

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- As the American League Championship Series shifts from Houston to the Bronx, the Astros will be defending their reputation this season as the league leader in away games.
    The 2017 Astros boasted a 53-28 record in road games, which tied for first in the Majors. In fact, their road winning percentage of .654 eclipses their percentage of games won at Minute Maid Park, which is .593.
    In the 81 games played outside of Houston, the Astros scored 501 runs, which is also best in the Majors this season.

In fact, the Astros were first or tied for the No. 1 rank on the road in home runs at 123, RBI at 472, and batting percentage at .284.

6. NittyOne

NittyOne High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No I agree with you, people getting pissy about what the Astros did and not realizing it’s a whole sham boggles my mind. The Patriots did way worst things and people aren’t as upset. In addition the Astros did something that I believe half the league was doing anyway unlike the Pats. I don’t get the hate for the Stros. It’s teams like the Yanks and Dodgers that represent everything wrong with baseball. Lucky for you can still be a man there’s alternatives. If you live in LA you’ve got the Arte Moreno Angels. NY area? Why you have the much less BS no Steinbrenner Mets. Stop being so insecure and support the Mets! They need all the support they can get.

7. omahatovegas

omahatovegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Except if you look at the statistics, the Yankees strikeout rate didn't change with Beltran as an advisor. The penalties were minor, not to protect the big market teams as most Astros fans claim, but would not have been enforceable due to the player's union. No one is arguing that the Astros weren't and still are a powerhouse team. But it's pretty clear the cheating had an effect on the season. They went from one of the highest strikeout teams to the lowest strikeout team in one year. It's pretty comical to watch the Astros find scapegoats other than the actual players.

8. topcard

topcard Re-Open Vegas!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...then I wonder why their road record was better than their home record in 2017 & 2018?
    ;)
    2017: Home record 48-33; Road: 53-28
    2018: Home record 46-35; Road: 57-24

9. Dutch34

Dutch34 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in Baltimore. Cal was (is) God-like to those of us of a certain age, much like Brooks was to my older brothers. I was lucky enough to get tickets to 2131...I still have the game day program and the commemorative yearbook my company printed for the event. I have never heard a crowd so loud as when #8 hit this HR.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mudhen

Mudhen VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just for fun...

11. omahatovegas

omahatovegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah. The common rally cry of the Astros fan in denial. The Astros in 2016 won only 2 games more at home than on the road. It's simple. The Astros are a talented team, capable of winning on the home or road, but chose to cheat to win a title. The more glaring evidence is the difference in batting stats between 2016 and 2017. In 2016, 7 Astros players had more than 100 strikeouts on the season, in 2017, 2 players. The 2017 team had almost 400 less strikeouts than the previous year and scored almost 175 more runs than the previous year. Also, the difference in runs allowed by the Astros in 2016 and 2017 was 1. So what changed? Batting. Almost every batting category had major improvements over the previous year.

But yeah, keep deflecting and throwing out home and away records or claiming everyone else did it too! Btw, the Twins, Indians, and Nationals all had better away records than at home in 17. It will certainly be interesting statistically to watch this season and see if the strikeout rates for the Astros go up, while the rest of the batting stats decrease.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Mudhen

Mudhen VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to mention the hit by pitches.

13. BigShot55

BigShot55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. vegasvp

vegasvp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Caught cheatin', get a beatin'
    Every game

15. topcard

topcard Re-Open Vegas!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not in denial at all.
    They cheated. They got caught.
    They have been handed down a pretty severe punishment.

My comment has mostly to do with Dodger fans whining & crying that they should be awarded the 2017 WS title. That's nonsense. They were beaten by a better team.
    And 2019? Yankee fans are whining too, but the fact that the Astros lost every home game and won every away game against the Nationals is NOT an insignificant statistic.
    The two best teams were in that World Series and the better team won... just like in 2017.

16. topcard

topcard Re-Open Vegas!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On this, we agree. It will indeed be interesting.

17. topcard

topcard Re-Open Vegas!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have MLB network, they've been running their '20 Greatest Games' series...set your DVRs... Costas hosts them & they're quite good.
    Also - if you have Amazon Prime, they are running full replays of select 2019 games, courtesy of MLB.TV.

18. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm watching Ken Burns Baseball. Forgot how good it is. Some real gems in there.

• Agree Agree x 1