1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Help wanted ad. No way to know if it is for real.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am obviously in the wrong business....or live in the wrong culture....
    In 10 years I was on time very single day, I never left early without making up for it on the next day, I stayed home only on 2 days due to sickness (and I called them up-front to tell them about it), I always stay longer to help out when needed, and I worked hard to make them a lot of money...and still I am struggling for get a fair contract.

2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So lemme ask you...is this a generational issue? 'Cause when I read the ad, those bullet points sound an awful lot like something a younger, twentyish type, person might be facing. For those of us who are members of the "Touch of Gray" club...I don't think we'd have those issues. Not sure...just posing the possibility. :stir:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After having run a company for 30 years I can assure you that ad is real. The hardest part of owning any business is getting good staff that you can rely on.

• Like Like x 2
  4. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hah! Yes I read my two papers online in the morning, but I still get the paper copy delivered as I like to sit outside at night after work and have my beverage and smoke and do 5 puzzles. (2 crosswords, 2 sudokus, 1 other).

5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not necessarily aimed at the ad but our local school district has some quirks which amazed me when I arrived for my first year of employment outside a large entity. 2,550 students pre K - 12. I tried to set up my scheduled observations well in advance for practical purposes of setting my calendar and allowing maximum flexibility for the teacher(s). The band director was not to be found on three attempts (Monday-Wednesday) and being new I wondered aloud to the head principal as to possible health problems, family issues, etc. I may need to be aware. He was on a 7 day cruise with his wife. Always went in October as it was cheaper than summer rates when teachers were off.

I had been previously employed by districts that further drilled into me the attitude you didn't miss a day to educate unless an absolute emergency. We were supposed to be examples for the students. Apparently this thought was not universal.

I have been retired over 10 years and actually forgot about the above example of work ethic until one of the guys who regularly plays golf with us and is a retired math teacher / superintendent told me he was substituting for the golf coach / history-government classes. We assumed there was a golf tournament that week. There might have been but he went to hunt an elk. Wow. Sometimes it is not just the employee(s) but rather the leadership or lack thereof. What an amazing country we live in.

It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
    This here table isn’t a 5$ table; Pilgrim ~~
  6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three as a matter of fact. Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel (7 days a week), Wall Street Journal (6 days) and the Washington County Daily News (5 days).

I read news on the Internet on various sites, but come evening, I like holding a paper in my hands.

Just to clarify, that ad didn't come out of any of the papers I read. My wife found it online.

7. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here. I enjoy breakfast by the pool, reading the paper and discussing it with the Mrs. A great way to start the day. I think it'd be hard for the to 'read the paper' online, as I'd probably read an article or two, but probably not exhaust the issue as I do with print.

8. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like "Exhaust" the issue. I'm an early waker,,,actually a non-sleeper, so both my Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province are online just before 3 am. I email noteworthy articles (maybe pertaining to work( (some recipes) to myself. But at night after work..GIVE ME HARDCOPY..I do enjoy the paper at breakfast in Vegas as I'm usually solo. Delano stopped delivering papers to our doors. And we used to get a free copy of USA TODAY from the giftshop, no more. When they reno'd THE HOTEL to Delano,,the gift shop "being cool like youngens" said, oh it's no problem..just bring your I pad to breakfast and here's the download link...Well I'm usually down for breakfast and enroute somewhere and don't BRING MY IPAD (not that I have one, but I actually have one coming next week from HGS)...but I still wouldn't bring it to the pool. Ok,,shut up. Rant over. (sorry, went off subject)

9. fabriano

fabriano Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my uncles has owned various businesses--tire store, restaurants, motels. His motto is: "You hire the ones who steal the least." Sad.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The gold star crack and to a lesser extent the cell phone thing are generational things. Child care, court, car trouble and some of the rest are not. some people need a steady job to handle some of those issues. Others just always have drama that keep them from coming to work or being on time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why doesnt someone call that number,see if it's a true ad and congradulate the person for being honest and upfront. My pt gig started out with 27 people and is down to 5.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, please do JerseyGuy and let us know what you find out.

13. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My parents own a restaurant. They have a hell of a time finding reliable workers.

You'd be amazed at how many people apply for a job and never even show up for the interview...

14. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was sad......I loved our little company.

But, there must have been something we missed as a mangement team.

Obviously there are still all the things we did as a company currently being performed so we missed something. I know the insurance and 410K were probably things we could have taken away, maybe put the burden of transportation to job sites on the crews instead of meeting at the warehouse and piling in to a van......

I am three years retired and out of the industry now so not sure what the makeup of our competition is, but whatever it is we figured it out too late. Can't see thst the labor pool has changed much, so maybe the people doing it now just deal with the labor conditions ?

15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the first 15+ years ('82-'98) of my career, I owned several pizza parlors. My wife and I were only a few years older than many of our employees and of course, we had many older people who worked part-time while holding down other full-time jobs. I saw the deterioration of the workforce then, I can only imagine what it's like today. I actually enjoyed the way the ad puts it right out there... if you're this kinda employee don't even apply. I have so much respect for small-business owners!

16. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny ad. Sadly apt. Many of the "basic" concepts with which those of us with a few more rings grew up are endangered. Look at the cavalier attitudes about how people communicate. Work? They want an entitlement. The gold star thing (funny; again, sad). People PRIDE themselves on not reading. HTF do you grow and learn w/o reading? Intellectual laxity.

Of course, plenty within the following generations get it, but this is a general cultural malaise.

• Like Like x 1
  17. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw this ad on line a few months back.....googled the number.....it's fake, but still funny.

18. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought of this thread this evening when I was at the drive-thru at KFC.
    KFC is a treat for the minions as it's a forty mile drive to get there.
    Nice night for a drive, though.

I placed our order, but the employee never came back on the speaker to ask if they could get us anything else, or to give us a total, or to tell us to pull ahead, etc.
    We sat there for five minutes. Another voice came over and asked us to pull ahead.

We did and the young woman apologized, but asked us what we'd ordered.
    Turns out the employee that had started to take our order decided to quit and walk out right in the middle of my ordering.
    (Is extra biscuit code for "time to quit?")

Anyway, the team she walked out on had a line of about seven cars behind me, but they kept their poise and whipped my order together. Everything was great, got it home and it was very tasty.

I had a few coworkers do this in jobs I had back in my younger days. Not fun when you're left high-and-dry, especially on a busy night.

Work ethic is a big thing for me. Each work experience I've had has taught me important things that I continue to carry with me in my current life and work experiences.
    I actually visit each of my previous employers at least once a year to thank them again for helping mold me into the person I am today. It's also a good chance to encourage those youngsters that now work at a lot of those places to keep up the good work to help open up those doors for future experiences.

Of course, if I'd have walked out on my first employer--my Dad on the farm--there'd have been hell to pay, for sure!

To me, Working hard helps make the Playing hard :beer: feel so much better, too!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.