1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hash House A Go Go Ranks 5th of Best Cheap Eats in the US

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Sonya, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Bluto

Bluto Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hash House isn't cheap. But, considering the portion size, it is a great value.

3. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO, Hash House ia must-do in Vegas, but not something I would do very often. Cool decor, interesting food and presentation, but not the best food, and the portions don't do you good if you can't eat it all, and can't take it back to your room.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What was this reviewer smoking?

5. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know but I want some :evillaugh HHAG while "interesting" is far from what I would pick as either cheap or even really good cheap food, I could find a dozen places locally that beat them on every aspect. Every one except ridiculously sized portions of mediocre quality that is.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree! We have been to the one on Sahara twice. Both times because our out of state company saw it on Rachel Ray, or Food Network etc and had to do it.
    Disappointing enough that I would never go back.

I do give them credit though, they manage to almost always appear on Vegas shows about food. Good marketing dept. and I guess that's all it takes.

7. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I never really considered it "cheap", but I have enjoyed the location the IP both times I have been.

8. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love it or hate it, HHAGG is a decent value. I'm not a big fan, but their prices are very competitive.

Nick:beer:

9. sura83

sura83 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have been to the Sahara location several times, and will be going to the Plaza location on our upcoming trip. I wouldn't classify their prices as cheap, but I do always enjoy going there once each trip for breakfast. My favorite is the ham,spinach, and cheddar scramble. I absolutely agree about the portion sizes, though. I would much rather they serve a smaller portion that I can comfortably consume and lower the price accordingly.

10. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After looking over a few of the others in the top 10 I came to 2 conclusions

1) Their version of cheap is not what I would call cheap. $10-$14 for a plate just isn't cheap. That is 80% of the sit down restaurants in the US I'g guess.

They aren't expensive, I was just expecting a list where you could get out of the place for less than $10/person with tax/tip.

2) A top 10 list of anything nationwide is next to useless. I could have picked 20 within Vegas itself and I don't even live there that are close to HHAGG. I can pick another 20 in Austin easily.

I would imagine none of the selections are bad, but when I see best 10 in the nation, I expect there to be a reason why each one of them was uniquely choosen. I just don't see anything unique about HHAGG other than massive portions. It is what I expect when I go to what I consider a diner type restaurant.

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:

Portion sizes are too big for my preference. Do you think the question was about Cheap Food By Volume? :wink2:

Can I get one thing and share with a table of four-five?

True, but at least they can result in a fun discussion here.

Even on the board we can't come to a consensus about almost anything. I posted this because I felt like I could probably come up with 10 places in Vegas alone I felt was a better value. I knew most of you could too. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  12. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CHEAP considering the LARGE portions from a restaurant on the STRIP......everywhere else...not cheap at all.....food quality wise....fair to good at best.

13. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, how did that 2nd quote come up under my name?!

I think the portions are a little ridiculous in size, but when I have been there the waitresses did a good job warning us - my sisters split a quesadilla instead of ordering one each. I managed to take down a whole Andy's Sage Fried Chicken, but definitely regretted that for about two hours after.

I know a lot of the reviews say that it is overrated, but I can't complain about the food or cost in my opinion. Whether it should be 5th in this list I think is overreaching, but a fun topic for discussion!

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fixed it. I shouldn't drink so early in the afternoon. :wink2:

15. arebomb

arebomb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I've been living on the east coast too long. $10-14 a plate is almost like eating fast food! :)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.