1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Guns N F*cking Roses

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Mr. Brownestone, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20210827_184116.jpg

:headbang: :beer: :headbang:

20210827_175902.jpg

20210827_183034.jpg

My bride and I had a great time!

This was our first concert as locals. It was nice to be able to stay for a full show and be home in twenty minutes!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 2
  2. midliferetired

midliferetired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Richard Alpert Where did you park and have they sorted out the traffic issues with stadium events?

I was at Mandalay Bay during that time for the Michael Jackson One show. These times you never know what can happen next. Best to see these acts as soon as you can or you end up settling for the Cirque Du Soleil version with holograms of the performers.

3. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    funny, we saw them in ‘89 Exhibition Stadium for same reason. No way they were going to tour in their fifties!

4. Mr. Brownestone

Mr. Brownestone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Different things in life affect people differently, It's clear we not only think very similar, but have had similar experiences (at least when it comes to live music). It was another great experience to see them live in Vegas again, I hope you end up there to see them one day. I am sure you won't regret it if you do. If you do make it to a GnR show out there message me. Unless extreme life circumstances come up I plan to see them in Vegas whenever they play there and I'd be happy to buy you a dink or three at the show.

I'll give my thoughts on the show for anyone who is interested:

For someone like me it's simply amazing to see this band live, again. Given that as recently as 5 years ago it was "never" going to happen and I've seen them three times, twice in Vegas, it is not lost on me that this is something I should be truly grateful to get to see, and I am. The opening act was very good, like really good. Mammoth WVH, for those that don't know is Eddie Van Halen's son's band and if anyone thinks they got the gig because of who Wolfgang's dad is, there may be some truth to that, but it doesn't change the fact they certainly belong on that stage. They were very entertaining and not all opening acts can pull that off because it really is a tough task given that a rabid fan base of the main attraction really just wants to see the band they came to see. I was not the only one having a good time listening to Mammoth, they really have big things to come in my opinion. Great job by them.

GnR came out and did what GnR do, they played loud, they played hard and just killed it for 3+ hours. They played a very predictable set list of all the hits plus a couple off of "Chinese Democracy" (that I really enjoy), a song from Velvet Revolver and even one new GnR song. As a huge fan of the band I really couldn't ask for more. Slash just somehow gets better with age. I mean, the man just kills it on every song, every riff, every solo, etc... I'm obviously biased and when there are guitar players like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, etc... it's hard to say Slash is the best on the planet these days, but for my money the guy in the top hat is worth the price of admission each and every time.

Duff is still the coolest guy alive. I've read both his books and just love the guy. In a lot of bands the bass player is just there to keep the beat, but in GnR Duff is in integral part of the bad for sure. A true showman and master of his craft.

Axl is still one of the most intriguing people in the industry no matter what. If the years have taken their toll on anyone it's him. His voice isn't what it used to be and that's fair given he's nearly 60 years old. I know he gets some shit on that cesspool that is Twitter for how he sounds these days, but the criticism just isn't fair. If for no other reason I just don't want to hear anyone else sing the songs. How many of us can do at 60 what we did at 21? Please. I'm not sure we will ever know the real reason the band is back together. Was it money, was it the need to reconcile, was it the love of the music? We very well may never know and I know Axl has had a sorted past. In fact, when they sang their new song he introduced it as a song that defines his entire existence and the song is called "absurd". Again, I know this is a guy who made some bad choices in the past, but I really hope, for his sake, that he is in a good place in life, realizes his place in rock history and manages to really enjoy whatever years he has left.

I could complain about the sound system at Allegiant stadium, I could complain about how hard it is getting a ride to the hotel after the event and I could complain that they really don't know how to manage a large event at that new stadium just yet, but why? I really just want to enjoy what I got which was one more chance to see my favorite band in my favorite place, there really is nothing to complain about.

Thank you to GnR for making another incredible evening for a guy who is closer to the end than the beginning, thanks to my wonderful wife for letting me do it and dragging my drunk ass back to a hotel (again) and thanks to all of you for reading along.

Do the things you enjoy in life as often as you possibly can, there is plenty of time to be miserable later.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We parked in the MB ramp as we were familiar with it and grabbed a bite to eat at the food court before the show.

After the show we were able to get out of the ramp pretty quickly. We did see several drivers on Frank Sinatra were whipping u-turns/y-turns trying to figure out where to go. It was otherwise smooth sailing!

1630168037129.jpg

RICHARD

• Like Like x 2
  6. Todd_Royce_XXL

Todd_Royce_XXL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a plan!

Thank you for the detailed report.
    Can't wait until they are there again. Of course the fear strikes me that I may have missed my last chance to see them in Vegas and that would be unfortunate. You are 100% right, we're only here for so many years, do what you want when you can!

I'll see ya at the next one

• Like Like x 2
  7. Johnny Bollocks

Johnny Bollocks Never mind the Bollocks...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In fairness, Axl has never sounded particularly good live. I saw them as far back as 1990 and his voice was ragged on stage even back then. He sounds great on record, but I've only seen them once or twice out of about 15 shows where he actually sounded "good" live. You kind of have to go in expecting that and if you get lucky... hey, it's Vegas.

At least they tend to take the stage on time more often these days, I remember having to leave MSG after about 6 songs to catch the last train back to Jersey because Soundgarden finished their set and then we sat around for 2 1/2 hours waiting for GNR to even show up.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. johnjagg

johnjagg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People grow up and they want to see their favorites when they're older and have money. Teachers and boomer parents told us bands like GnR, Def Leppard, Poison, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana were pretty unimportant and no one would care in five years. Of course they were wrong. Wife tells me she always thinks about one of her Jr High teachers telling the class that "rap is a fad and it will be dead in two years" in 1989.

I mean I don't care about Ed Sheeran or Miley, but I'm not supposed to, I'm old. The music that hits in your teens and early 20s are what ends up mattering to you regardless of your generation (mostly because of the emotional attachment you have). You might pick up a band or two in the years after, but for the most part "new" music and new acts aren't meant to appeal to older people. Just because we do not like it doesn't mean there aren't millions who do and will in the future.

• Love Love x 1
  9. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a reminder that Allegiant is "cash-free."
    They have kiosks to put cash on a card.

The cash I brought was accepted when I bought a lanyard only because their card reader was down.

10. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow if true she had to be in honors classes
    For the teacher to have the time for discussion or research……kinda neat story though…..(never noticed educators deciphering students music).

11. Todd_Royce_XXL

Todd_Royce_XXL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard once that Axl showed up really late to an MSG show because he was back at the hotel watching the Celtics and he wasn't going to leave until the game was over. I wonder if that was this night?

12. Johnny Bollocks

Johnny Bollocks Never mind the Bollocks...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's possible. I don't remember the exact date, but I recall vividly that it was RIGHT after Smells Like Teen Spirit hit the radio in New York, like a week or so after. I'd heard it a few times and really dug it, they played it over the sound system between acts and when the chorus started, I swear all 20,000+ people in that arena started singing it at the top of their lungs. I had never seen/heard anything like it. I turned to my buddy and said : "Holy shit, these guys are about to explode...." A lot is made of how Nirvana effectively ended the hair metal era - as far as I'm concerned, it happened that very night. It was a sea change in music and you could FEEL it... and oddly, it was neither of the bands actually playing that night but rather a recording played through the PA. Of course, Soundgarden became pretty huge in their own right (they were virtual unknowns at the time) but anyone in that arena with 5 functioning brain cells could see the future in that moment. It was so profound that I remember it like it was yesterday.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. johnjagg

johnjagg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not unusual to me. I had some younger teachers who were trying to relate at my school either asking what kids were listening to on their Walkmans. I remember one guy in his 20s who was young enough to like hair metal/rock, but old enough to not like grunge trying to have a discussion about, "You guys listen to this Nirvana. What do you think about this, 'come as you are' attitude toward things?" I was embarrassed for the guy then, and I'm embarrassed for him now. :haha:

Adults are dumb, and I say that as mid-40s adult.

14. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man...I saw them so many times in the 90s. My favorite gig ever was in Reno, 91-92? UNR Events Center. They started 1.5 hours late (looking at you, Axl!). Played 45 minutes or so of the normal stuff.

Lights go black.

Lights come up. The whole band is sitting stage left on a beat-up, used couch. They launch into 45 minutes or so of acoustic G'n'F'R.

Lights go black.

Guns & Motherfucking Roses is back, and they close out with several "Appetite For Destruction" songs.

Oh, then there's Pittsburgh Three Rivers Stadium in 1993-94?s Use Your Illusion Tour featuring the co-headling METALLICA! What a fucking show THAT was. My buddy and I squirmed our way down onto the front of the floor, and high-fived James Hetfield when he ran up the aisle during Seek & Destroy. Great show!

• Love Love x 1
  15. SunshineSlayer

SunshineSlayer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Axl is super hit and miss live. He can indeed sound GREAT though. But let's be honest, at least for me, I was never into GNR for pitch perfect vocals because his stage presence, charisma, emotion etc. - the imperfectness made it perfect if that makes sense.

12/13 - 12/15
  16. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guns 'N Roses made for some of the most "Rock and Roll" experiences I ever had, and that's a career encompassing over 500 shows.

Many of you recall "The Riverport Incident" (StL), where Axl jumped out into the crowd at someone taking pictures while the band was onstage. This being circa 1990.....

....so we have tickets to the next GNR show on the schedule at Tinley Park, IL (World Music Theater), this show gets canceled because of what happened at Riverport. GNR reschedules two shows at Rosemont later in the year, over the winter I think, and we're literally on the way to that show when the plug gets pulled, because Axl finds out that Rosemont's police were (supposedly) going to serve Axl a warrant over the StL incident. So Axl bails, ergo no concert.

Fast forward another year; I've since moved west a few hours and we get tickets to see GNR in Iowa City at the Carver Arena (University Of Iowa). I go sleep out at the box office and put us CLOSE. Like 5th row close. Brian May is opening the show, and he does his hour set, which was really good (no surprise), starts at 7PM sharp. Two hours go by thereafter and no GNR. Now things are getting tense. I've now brought a crew of Chicago suburban buddies out to the sticks to make good on two prior canceled GNR shows, which we all had tickets for, and now it looks like we're working on canceled show number three.

"Where the #^@% is he, it's two hours now, he better #*@%ing show up......."

.......people are getting realty agitated over the situation, well knowing the story, even others who weren't ticketed for two prior missed shows were on to the issue. Who waits two hours to show up for a gig? But then the house lights fell, and they tore it up, and it certainly ranks up there as one of he toughest acts there was to go see, but possibly the most "Rock and Roll" thing I ever saw in over 500 shows, and that includes 90+ shows on Grateful Dead tours, which bear some stories of their own.

But please don't blame me if I don't ever buy another ticket to a GNR show. It will never eclipse the memory of that only other time I saw them, and it will be 10x the price and 100x the distance. And of course that all assumes they show up:kill:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's an amazing story.

I remember reading an article that said something to the effect that GNR did for hair metal bands what Dylan did for folk - made everyone else after them in the same genre look like a pretender, and many others who came before as well, and then when Nirvana came along, the rest, as they say, was history.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You jogged my memory… that Reno show I mentioned , Brian May Experience was the opener. Absolutely brilliant. And, one of the more “ rock and roll” experiences of my life.