1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

greyhound to vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by chef, Oct 2, 2018.

1. marksind

marksind Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You bus riders are true adventurers! I've had a notion for awhile that it would be interesting to take the Greyhound from Seattle to Key West and write about it (with an eye toward selling the story). But I'm not that good of a writer, and the incident in 2008 in Manitoba where the guy cut off another guy's head on a Greyhound while he was sleeping and paraded it around the bus sort of put me off.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the 80's, I took Greyhound from New Orleans to Tallahassee. There was a passenger with a cage full of chickens in the overhead compartment. I hated taking Greyhound because of the heavy smoking on board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Priv8guy

Priv8guy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chickens were puffing on their last cigarettes.

4. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still loved that you tried it Chef! Also love that 8 hours is your max.

Back in my "character building days," I sold cleaner door-to-door...and I was terrible at it.

The company was generous (I'm not being sarcastic, I still appreciate it), and they paid my bus fair (Greyhound) from Tacoma Washington (as far as I had made it with them), back to Colorado....it was a multi-day trip, and it was hell.

Part of the trip consisted of me attracting the attention of an older gal that liked to yell at imaginary people. I was exhausted and the last thing I wanted was "talky-time," but I couldn't find a polite way to shut her down.

Let's just say...some of the longest days of my life (so bad, I don't have much of a memory of it)...so you're wise at capping at 8 hours...you never know the "friends" you'll meet on Greyhound.

On the flip-side...I wish you could pitch some of your ideas/adventures to someone! They are unique, and they ARE backed by logic. If spun right, to the right tv network, I think you'd have an audience as the "Frugal Adventurer," or something like that. You blend frugality, creativity and a polish/aplomb that I think would draw an audience!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    I've decided I'll never be able to go to Vegas again, until I'm 92
    • Love Love x 1
  5. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, next week i'm taking the Megabus from LA to Vegas round trip. I always drove to Vegas since 1978, but in 2011, do to health reasons, i couldn't drive anymore. That was compounded in 2016 with my OHS, I didn't feel comfortable flying since my equalibrium was and still is, off (long story).
    The Megasbus (looks just like the Deuce bus) picks you up at Union Station in LA and takes you to Vegas at the South Strip Terminal (about 5 hours).I took the Megabus last November and it was great, i arrived in Vegas about the same time as when i was driving (about 3pm). I pick up the RTC SDX bus at SST and take it to Paris.

I have a reserved seat on the top deck in the front row. I would never go Greyhound, it's in a seedy section of LA. The Mega is at Union Station, big difference. The Mega has Wi-Fi, movies, reclining seats, and the clientle is nice, mostly tourists traveling between LA/Vegas. Also, travelling from LAX to Union Station i take the Flyaway bus. Couldn't be any easier. The Flyaway bus and the Megabus are direct routes. The Megabus makes a quick stop in Riverside, then on to Vegas.

I would prefer driving to Vegas like i have always done, but given my circumstances, where flying would be my second choice, i couldn't ask for anything more.

• Like Like x 2
  6. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I have gotten older, I have become not a very good traveler. I'm like a little kid--"Are we there yet"? I do not have a lot time left on this earth and I do not want to spend it on a slow moving bus or train. I want to get from point A to point B as soon as possible. If I cannot get there on an airplane, I do not need to be there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that's why I still road trip. The experience of the trip, and not just what's at the other end. I certainly can see not wanting to get on a bus and not having control over the where, how and why of stops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, the only place I want to drive is to the airport. LOL

9. Calder

Calder Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

I love the driving. Load up the car, load up the ipod with favorite podcasts, and watch the continent roll by. Go where I want to go, stop when I want to stop, detour as the moment dictates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that is understandable. We were a road-trip family growing up, and save driving her new Bentley SUV back from Orlando to Portland when they bought it a few months ago, my sister LONG ago gave up on the proverbial road trip, while I'm still addicted. (My b-i-l's idea, she went along as a good sport.)

Again, for us, "trip" is as often the adventure of the trip and not just the adventure of the destination. We do both. Road trips allow us to pack golf clubs and bikes and all manner of whatever gear we might want. A plane trip gets us their expeditiously and then that brand of fun ensues.

11. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken Amtrack from Wisconsin Dells to Milwaukee and back.
    It was fine....but it was in the 90's

I've taken a few Greyhounds. (in the 80s)
    They still had ashtrays in the armrests then.
    I prefer my Greyhounds in a glass now.
    The potential for a super chatty seatmate is the wild card that would prevent me from considering it.

12. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No speake’ Englasse’. Oh, and earplugs.
    And dark sunglasses. :cool:

Pilgrimage beyond seeds that may flower
    66$ R/T. What could go wrong unless 3/4 is all they give?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Thanks for the thoughtful post Multifarious. Actually, I did a piece several years ago for the Rockford (IL) Register Star newspaper on a 3-night trip I made to Vegas for $200 total, which included airfare, room (at the Trop), ground transportation and meals. And, that was without any comps, unless one counts using a LVA coupon book.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1