1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Grand Canyon West Rim Bus Tour

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by vegascurley, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegascurley

vegascurley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are thinking about doing a bus tour of the west rim Grand Canyon and would appreciate any advice or comments on which company to use. We definitely want the skywalk to be part of the trip. I know we will be in for an all day excursion but would like to get best bang for the buck without a lot of bull**** that some trips have that are unexpected. Thanks in advance everyone

2. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before anyone else says it, many will say don't bother with the West Rim. That it's a tourist trap and that the real Grand Canyon is South Rim. Well, I enjoyed the heck out of the West Rim and was still awe struck and still have a great appreciation and enforced perception of and for Life. Next time I will go to the South Rim on a hike, but my memories of the West Rim (and some great pictures), still hold a place in my heart. That said...

All of my research led me to Grand Adventures. Our guide was great. Very nice and very informative. Our price included breakfast, lunch, and transpo to and from the hotel (in Vegas, naturally), the Skywalk, and a photo op/stop at Hoover Dam. We had a blast and were paired with some great couples. I highly recommend them, and will used them when we do the South Rim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. xman30

xman30 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a bus tour to the West Rim during my December 2015 trip. I had a great time. Well worth the money. The only thing that I think falls into a "tourist trap" is the skywalk. Didn't look like it was worth the $30. One of these days I'll have to try one of the other Rims.

xman30

5. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny you say that because you walk right into the gift shop after peering down into the Canyon, haha. I will say it is quite fantastic. Having it part of the tour helps, so while the whole trip was priceless, I'd say you could either waste it or get your money's worth. One lady in our group took one look down past the doorway and lost it. Other's clinged to whoever was near them. Others still were laying down and taking (b/k/a paying for) a million pictures. I took a decent bit of time and enjoyed the view. So worth a one off, but I don't think I'd do it again without taking someone new. Maybe the kids when they get older.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much did the tour cost you? I thought about renting a car and driving down to the grand canyon, would you consider driving or did you enjoy the bus ride or did the tour take you to places you wouldn't know about if you were driving?

Just wondering, guess after I retire and have more time I may consider staying longer and visiting the GC. I probably visited the place when I was 5 years old so haven't been there in over 50-something years.

7. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't comment on a tour provider. We aren't tour people, preferring our own schedule and destiny.

But there is a killer reminder in this: If one's life choice is never seeing the Grand Canyon or only seeing the so-called West Rim, then the latter is by far the best approach to living life. It still is eye-candy, still the type of natural marvel that most won't have a chance to see in their lifetime. Do Valley of River and Red Rock equal Bryce or Zion? Of course not. Choosing not to see them because of that is folly, however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without looking it up, I think my trip was $165 for each of us. I've seen companies have them for $100, but other than what others have said about them (some liked, some didn't) I don't have a real opinion on their worth.

We took a bathroom break in some town I probably would have run across if I drove and not stopped, but it was an interesting place nonetheless. Hardly anything like that out East (I'll pull up a pic below). There was a package that took you to the town on Route 66 that inspired the "Cars" locale, but we figured that would also be a trip with the kids.
    IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0289.JPG

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info!

10. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the skywalk and it was a total rip-off. They charged 30$ extra admission fee. Then, when I was on the skywalk, there were matresses all over the floor - because the skywalk was wet from rain and they didn't want people to slip - which killed the entire purpose of walking on the skywalk. Then after 2 minutes, the skywalk was evacuated - because some more rain was coming up. They offered us to come back later that day for free to continue the walk.....yeah, sure.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  11. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No problem!

And Psydoc you definitely got ripped off. No such thing as come back next time.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did not see it mentioned so far, but we did the helo tour. Flies up, over and down into the GC. Awesome trip and only a half day vs riding all day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I did a helicopter tour to GC many years ago. That was cool, but I don't remeber with which company we booked the tour.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how much did it cost for the heli ride/tour? Just wondering, I normally get air/sea sick so not sure if it would be good for me but just curious how much it would cost.

Funny because I can ride the roller coasters with no problem. Guess it's because the ride is only for a few minutes. I do get sick when I ride those "motion" rides that simulate motion. Guess my eyes get confused with the motion and I get sick from it.

Okay, scratch the skywalk tour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.