1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Gonna be a rough day

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck today and tomorrow you will be so happy you can check this off your list for the next 5-10 years.

My good friend and coworker of the past 30 years are the same age. Seven years ago (where does time go?) we scheduled our appointments with the same doctor and back to back procedures. Yes, misery does love company. The evening of the prep we were constantly texting each other from the bathroom and after each dose. Her partner took us both to the hospital and took us home together. We are scheduled again this year and plan on again doing the buddy system.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was out fully with anesthesia but my husband did not have to be. We both still had the same godawful prep though. Hoping to get the reduced version next time. It was hard for me being diabetic and then not being able to eat. My blasted walmart quit carrying the clear white grape juice so I was scrounging to find things to keep my bloodsugar normal without sucking down entire popsicles lol!

GOOD LUCK!

3. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said, it's important, do it! My mom passed from colon cancer in her 50's, so I got my first test at 40. Found 7 polyps, but nothing cancerous thankfully.

That happened to me, too! I thought it was supposed to be that way. I was still drugged enough not to feel anything. Although apparently I have an extra couple of turns in my colon, so in order to get the scope to turn, the nurse had to press on my belly. But to get the right angle, she had to climb on top of me and I was awake for it. That was an odd experience to say the least.

• Wow! Wow! x 3
  4. YukonSloMo

YukonSloMo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I count up, it gets a laugh 100, 101, 102....good luck

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. gailtherese

gailtherese Upper Middle Class ?!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was not put under for my last colonoscopy earlier this year. My mayo doctor called it “conscious sedation”. Interesting to watch the whole procedure unfazed! Whatever they gave to relax me worked like magic and not one moment of discomfort either. And this coming from someone who once woke up screaming in discomfort in a prior “screening”!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. wesraft

wesraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course they said "You probably want to eat something bland right after the procedure." Well, when I received the good news I was thrilled AND starving and thought, Forget that crap, I'm celebrating with some spicy Cajun. Drive it like you stole it baby!:woot:

7. topcard

topcard Celebrating 40 Years of Vegas Trips in 2020!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people are just lucky like that! ;)

I got the 10-year "free pass" on my last one, but that was about 12 years ago, so I know that my PCP is gonna hit me with this anytime... dreading the "prep", but from what I understand, it's a lot better these days than it was 12 years ago...not the gallon of Gatorade that it used to require.

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had kidney stones surgery last year and had a stent in my organ for a week and a half- tell me the colonoscopy is worse than that?

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last colonoscopy (True):
    Hospital check-in desk: "What is your name and what are you here for?"
    Colonoscopy check-in desk: "What is your name and what are you here for?"
    Person who takes me to the room to undress: "What is your name and what are you here for?"
    Nurse who leads me to the colonoscopy room: "What is your name and what are you here for?"
    Doctor the will perform the colonoscopy: "What is your name and what are you here for?"
    Anesthesiologist: "What is your name and what are you here for?"
    Me: "I'm here for the drugs."

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was awake for one of mine. I looked at the monitor and said "Oh, the Discovery Channel."

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

This is normal for any procedure though. When I had knee surgery years and years ago, one of the first things they did when I got to the room and checked in they wrote "This knee" on my thigh so they didn't operate on the wrong leg. When I had a procedure done a month ago, every time someone walked in to the room they scanned my wristband thing and asked my name, birth date, and what I was in there for. Since I knew it was coming, every time I told them something different as a joke - brain transplant, foot reversal surgery (I want my feet to face the other way), third eye LASIK (since it is not working), etc. Some people laughed, others take their job way too serious.

Let's try this Thanksgiving thing again
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. wesraft

wesraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the repetition comes from a change in protocol to tighten things up in order to prevent mistakes. Author/Doctor Atul Gawande wrote a great book "The Checklist Manifesto" on this change, utilizing the discipline pilots have used for decades.

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely... I put off mine until last year at age 60... clean as a whistle and happy I did it.

Good Luck @mdee, you'll do fine once again!

14. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made it! 2 rolls of Toilet Paper and 8 Pounds Lighter!
    Doc said he gave me an A- on how cleaned out I was...
    I said; Doc I didn't those kind of grades back in school!

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's hope the report was as good as that.

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried the tricks given to me by the facility and that I saw online. I got the powdered prep that you add 32 oz of liquid to and then drink a thousand glasses of plain water. They suggested adding a flavored drink powder without the red dye. I tried lemon crystal light and do not recommend it. It made it lemony salt water that was just as gross as the salty stuff. On the second drink, I tried washing it down with Sprite Zero. It still was gross, but the flavor didn't last in my mouth too long as the bubbles in the sprite seemed to rinse it out.

I couldn't find White Grape Juice or the clear electrolyte drink either. I did find lemon popsicles that kept my blood sugars from plumetting on prep day. Of course, they still had pulp in them and I got a "talking to" after my procedure and asked to make sure I got pulp-free ones next time. Oops. :(

Blood sugar control was hard. I took my regular meds on prep day and struggled to not go low all day. But I didn't take any pills the night before or day of the procedure and struggled to not go high, especially when I was released to eat "normal" food again. I guess it's only a couple of days every few years, but it's frustrating that they don't have a better process for diabetics. I imagine it's much tougher for a Type 1.

Luckily nobody used me as a human jungle gym. :haha: I just got a nurse who leaned down to the bed, looked in my eyes and said, "Good morning and welcome to your colonoscopy." It was not at all what I expected. When Dan got his, he got Versed and was blasted out of his skull for several hours after the procedure. He had a long recovery before he could get dressed and go. And then there was the Wendy's frosty he tried to eat in my car. It was like giving a toddler an ice cream cone and leaving them alone in the car with it. WHAT A MESS! :haha:

I had kidney stones and a stent. The colonoscopy was a spa treatment compared to that stupid stent.

Hurray! Hope you get a clean bill of health and don't have to do it again for another 10 years.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best of luck for clear results.

I'm sixty-three and a couple of years ago I had to battle my Kaiser doctor to request a colonoscopy. He actually became quite agitated with me and told me that Kaiser no longer have their patients have this procedure unless there is family history or blood in their poop and he said it is now standard to have the fecal test annually. I had another appointment several months later and again requested the test. After a bit of back and forth I asked him to please give me a referral. He quite grudgingly consented and the procedure was scheduled.

A couple of polyps were found and tested and found to be negative, but I am sure glad that I insisted. Knowing is so much better than not knowing. You are your own best advocate.

Hopeful, not 100% sure.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I requested to stay awake for mine and they let me. It's cool to watch the scope.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Taking my nephew along
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been several years since I had one too. My last one was "virtual" which I did not prefer. Prep was the same. I'm a fan of the drugs though, only plus side. I was awake for part of my first one, but, I wouldn't shut up so they decided it was nap time.

20. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tomorrow is my prep day. 64 ounces.

Taking my nephew along
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.