1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf, craps, poker, steaks, craft beer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by SimonG, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonG

SimonG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty much sums it up :)

I've been a frequent LV visitor (from the UK) since the late 90s. Pre-kids, wife and I used to holiday a lot here, she loved the pool all day while I was a consistent winner at the mid-stakes poker games covering the trip cost. Then in the evenings, saw a show, had dinner and strolled around and did whatever we felt like.

Once the kids came along, then Vegas became solo for a while. Less touristy stuff, less shows, dinner for 2 became dinner for 1 at the bar, but still preferred to eat in good restaurants rather than too much fast food. Many trips became airport, poker room, bedroom, airport. The games were good and the money flowed in the right direction. Probably 2008 the games got tougher, but still ok. By 2010 the golf clubs were coming with me and poker was starting to take a back seat. The best thing about Vegas solo for me is not having to do anything you don't want to. Bliss.

Last year the (3) girls were old enough to make the trip and I brought them for the first time. I know many people will <ugghhhh> the idea of bringing kids, and I agree when I see some kid hanging out the side of a stroller at 2am. But mine are a lot older than that, we did lots of pool time, lots of shopping and born-again tourist stuff which I really enjoyed. 2020 is a write-off, but they are already asking for the 2021 repeat, music to my ears!

For this year, I'll be visiting LV vicariously on the TR boards and joining in where I can.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to VMB!

• Like Like x 1
  3. nonahs

nonahs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome aboard!

• Like Like x 1
  4. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the Board! :D

My bride and I have taken the now-teenage minions along on 4 of our 12 trips, including our trip last month. Great times!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
  6. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haters will hate. Ignore them. I have been bringing my kids along since they were toddlers. Best practice is to stay where there a good number of kids and activities and family restaurants. We like the Orleans and Sam's town. Also, a room near the elevator suddenly feels way more important than a view.

• Like Like x 1
  7. drfishalot

drfishalot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sure my almost 16 year old has probably spent 40 or 50 nights in Vegas Over the years. And going in October again for his birthday. Lots of kids stuff to do in Vegas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SimonG

SimonG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you. Swimming pool, shopping, indoor skydive, zip line, fountains, swimming pool again, more shopping (obviously) and random exploration, they seem to like it. Maybe I can talk one of them into Caddying for me next time...

• Like Like x 1
  9. SimonG

SimonG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year was 2 connecting rooms in the venetian. Coming from the UK, figure its an expensive holiday, no avoiding the open-wallet surgery, smile and bear it.

10. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently many of the non-gambling facilities are closed or curtailed now due to the pandemic. You may want to check what is open and what the masking requirements are .

I am surprised you can even fly home from the USA. I thought most other countries had banned travel from here.

11. SimonG

SimonG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not there at the moment :) As much as I love vegas, I won't be coming back until all this settles down.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.