1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golden Nugget Comp, took a lot of work...

Discussion in 'Comps' started by SDF, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDF

SDF Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long time reader, forgive me for the long first post. There is a question at the end, I promise.

I went to Vegas in 2016 for March Madness for the first time in several years and stayed at the Golden Nugget. I mostly played craps and bet on basketball and ended up (luckily) leaving up four figures for the week. I primarily played $10 craps tables with about $50-$60 on the table (pass line, odds, two-three numbers). I won most of my $ at the Nugget, Downtown Grand and Harrah's/Paris. I ended up even at Main Street Station and down about $100 at the MGM Grand. When I left the Nugget, I checked with a host and he comped two of my three nights, and refunded all of my resort fees.

Since that trip I've been getting regular mailers from the Golden Nugget monthly, with less frequent but regular mailers from the other places mentioned above. Typically these offers include weekday room comps. I was planning to go back this April and got an offer from the Nugget that includes 3 comped room nights over a weekend (Thur-Fri-Sat) that was coincidentally the nights I wanted to stay.

I called last Friday and was told the code wasn't in the system and to call back on Monday (today).

I called this morning (Monday) and was told when they looked the code up that the offer wasn't available. When they entered my player number they said that there was nothing they could do for me. I explained that it seemed odd that a new offer was suddenly gone when today was the first day it was in the system and asked if there was a supervisor I could speak to. After being put on hold for quite a while, I was told that they could accommodate my free rooms on Friday-Saturday but not Thursday, because no rooms were available in the Carson Tower. That explanation seemed okay to me. They said I could book a room in the Rush Tower for $100 on Thursday, but would have to move to Carson for the free rooms on Friday-Saturday. If I had to move rooms anyway, I decided to book elsewhere (I had a Thursday comp offer from Total Rewards) for Thursday.

This resolution was fine with me until my next door neighbor (who was with me last year) and who had the same offer called about an hour later. He was able to get Thursday-Sunday comped, with no problem, with no pushback.

This sounds like a classic case of it just depends on which customer service agent you speak to. In the end, I'm not too upset, but if I could stay at the Nugget on Thursday I would as I would prefer not to leave.

What would you do? Leave well enough alone and stay at two places or try to call back later in the week and see if they can get me a room on Thursday?

2. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    keep trying, it wouldn't hurt. a different shift or different operator may make a difference.

3. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try calling a host directly. If you don't have one, you can pick someone from the web site, or just phone the Nugget and ask to speak to a host.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly what flusher said. You have to remember that these offers are sent in mass hoping to find a shopper. The date you picked might have been filled up by another offer, convention in town, or even something silly like a big wedding. The less inventory they have, the less likely they are to give that date to a player with a certain rating.

Your buddy might have played more, or just gotten rated higher. So he could have been tagged as a 7 player for the offer. And you were tagged as a 6 player. Both good enough to be tied to the same offer, but one gets more sway in bookings.

You might even have booked too early, as they could have set aside X amount of rooms for players tagged 7-8 on that offer. Who knows! But a host should be able to push his way through the system if they feel your play warrants a room that weekend.

5. SDF

SDF Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I did get the Friday-Saturday dates Free, it is Thursday that is the sticking point. And it sounded like there were no rooms available... it isn't like Thursday is a hot night. I was fine until my buddy got the rate. We were joking that it is because I left a big winner and he left a little down at the Golden Nugget...

6. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ What happens in Vegas is put on VMB forever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto what RF said. When speaking to the host, if your friend is going on the same trip, make the host aware of that.

7. Outsider

Outsider Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like the Flusher said, contact a host directly, and then ideally establish a relationship with the host or the one they assign you. I’ve been going there for years and found that they are sometimes a little non-committal verbally, but if you play as you have in the past, they usually come through in the end.

If your friend is already booked there and you want to be nearby, book the rooms with the best deal a host can offer, and then if they only cover two nights, have them take of the one day room charge off on the back end. And as Grid said, your buddy might have played a bit more, or your timing was just off. The Smug Nugget, as Flusher calls it, also has a lot of tournaments during the week and that could be why Thursday might be busy. By the way they have three towers to choose from, and all are decent, though the Rush is the nicest and newest.

8. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In all fairness, they might have told you there were no rooms available that Thursday. But that might mean there were no rooms available to you on that offer. Not that the hotel was sold out. Its much easier than saying "Sorry, we are holding a block that day for higher comped clients". But who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.