1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golden Knights Fire Gerard Gallant!

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Breeze147, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Peter DeBoer is new coach. WTF? Never saw that coming!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. srudude87

srudude87 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nobody hires and fires them like the NHL. What a cold business it is. Previous time he gets fired, he has to wait by the curb for a taxi to show up. Now he gets replaced by his bitter coaching rival. Numbers say they should be playing better, just not finishing chances. Marchessault misses an open net. Not GG's fault. Fleury was alright to start the year and now he's slipped. Backups have given them noting. Wasn't his idea to pay Reaves and Eakin a combined 6 mil. Penguins are my team, but always wanted Knights to do well. Now not so much. Would love to see GG get his revenge in Seattle.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know a lot about hockey but understand that, like you said, coaches do get fired more often than in other sports. Heck, Barry Trotz wasn't fired, but the Caps decided to move on from him instead of giving him a new contract after winning the Stanley Cup. Seems like the job Gallant did in the first year in Vegas probably set the expectations a bit too high. Also, seems like the Knights might have a roster with not enough depth, which is probably more on McPhee and McCrimmon. But if the players you have out there are seen as underperforming, the coach is usually the one that gets the blame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve said it before....if you can’t relate to ‘today’s player’....you’re gone!!!

Idk if the new guy can relate ....he knows his hockey but it’s an entirely different league...

5. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell him the blackhawks are hiring soon hopefully

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. M1goblu

M1goblu Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully his former centerman Stevie Y will bring him back to Detroit ..

• Like Like x 1
  7. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Craig Berube got traded by the Capitals at one point as they were leaving the airport from an away game. They didn’t let him fly home with them.

You can’t fire the team, so the coach goes in most cases. Just part of being a coach. A friend, a coach at a high level, says that he looks in the mirror every day knowing that he will someday be fired from this job...

We shall see how this works for the Golden Knights.

8. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I expect Todd Mclellan to be fired over the NHL All Star game next week. Lets not forget that the LA Kings won two Stanley Cup in 3 years 2012-2014, but have gone downhill this season after making the playoffs in 2018. You really can't blame Todd, but then again, the Kings have some of the Vets from those years (Quick, Carter, Doughty, Brown) and some promising new blood (Luff, Toffoli, Wagner), and are on or near the bottom of the standings.
    It's funny how some NHL players have contracts that approach 8-12 years with extensions but the coaches keep revolving around like a merry go round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. hail2skins

hail2skins VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tonight I went to my yearly Caps game in DC. They were playing the Devils, so naturally the vast majority were Caps fans, and there were some NJ fans there as well. I did not see apparel from any other team walking the streets before the game or within the concourses inside the arena, EXCEPT......walking from one bar to a restaurant pregame, ran into a group of VGK fans. In the concourse on my way to the seats, another VGK fan. Then after the game, walking down the stairs to street level......another VGK fan. Crazy!!!

• Love Love x 1
  11. Kinshasa18

Kinshasa18 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Don the Dentist

Don the Dentist LV resident

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VGK record after Galant = 1 win and 1 shootout loss (after scoring 2 goals in the last 2 minutes to tie the game) = 3 out of a possible 4 points. And both games were on the road.
    Looks like the change is working.

13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every team does well at first under a new coach. Everybody is scared shitless that they are next.

14. Kinshasa18

Kinshasa18 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But they still gave up 3 goals in the first period, which is getting to be a habit. The team needs to trade for a good defenseman. Can't play catch up all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell me about it. I’m a Flyers fan.

16. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In a league where batshit firings are the norm, not the exception, this was the most batshit of them all.

How in the world is Stan Bowman (qualification - son of Scotty's wife) and his coach (now at the mid-point of tenure in the NHL) still employed?

Vegas is soft at D and now have salary cap issues, teams are out-skating them consistently. I expect Galant to be in a better situation before the end of next season, and Vegas to never win their conference in the next decade.

17. donfairplay

donfairplay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Y'all follow the NHL more than me, but the Golden Knights seem to be playing pretty well since then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Laugh

Laugh High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, their recent pickups of Lehner and Martinez have been performing very well.
    We're really starting to pull away from the rest of the pacific.

Birthday Bash!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kinshasa18

Kinshasa18 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From NHL.com:

Since Peter DeBoer replaced Gerard Gallant as coach on Jan. 15, the Golden Knights have gone 15-5-2. Their 32 points in that span are tied with the Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning for third-most in the NHL behind the Philadelphia Flyers (35) and Colorado Avalanche (34).

20. Calder

Calder High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, sure, but how hard is that, really?
    :poke: