1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Going for the first time and going alone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by uncurlhalo, Sep 14, 2018.

1. uncurlhalo

uncurlhalo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be visiting Vegas for the first time in just 2 days! I've gone before as a teen with family but never as an adult, yet. I've been lurking these forums since I booked my room a few months back. Found some good advice and hopefully I can meet some cool people on my trip!

I'm going to be at the Grand for 3 nights starting the 16th. I got a comped room offer and some freeplay after playing a bit at the new MGM National Harbor which is much closer to home and decided to take advantage of it and try out Vegas.

I am a bit weary about going alone, but i don't have many friends who enjoy gambling and I scheduled the trip on only a few months notice so it seems I'll be stuck on my own. I'm planning on going to a nightclub, at least one show, and definitely playing table games and slots. I'm not very good at the table games and would love to watch some experienced Craps players bet!

• Like Like x 4
  2. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    God, I so wish I could go solo! I am sure you will have a great time!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy solo. But I'm probably a lot older than you. My thang is slot tournaments. Just buy ins now. Over the years I have built up such a great group of friends who also attend the slotties, and that although I'm solo, I'm never lonely. I also have brought down my bestie and her 2 daughters or my two sons and all of their friends, but give me a solo weekend to do just what I want to do. Gamble.Good luck!!

• Like Like x 3
  4. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Solo trips are my fav. But, being your 1st time in years & as an adult it may alter your experience. Have you checked the "meet" section to see if any members are in town when you are & if there are any get-togethers planned? If none....post on here that you would like to meet up with folks & see if you can get a response for a drink or a meal... Anyway - so hope you enjoy!!

Sooooo ready!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. gs32794

gs32794 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome! Congrats on the comp. MGM is a good choice. They have it all right on site.

Lately, my trips have been solo. When dining, consider, sitting at the bar. If you wish, the bartender will usually engage you in conversation as may other solo travelers. Like IM ALL IN says, I attended a slot tournament and had some fun with other players and even ended up going to the M with one for a bit of VP. Luxor has one daily I think and it's not hard to get in. I've also had good times and met some people playing Sigma Derby at MGM. The SD players have a Facebook page and try to meet up with others who are in town. Or.... you can keep your focus on craps as that's a pretty social game.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome, welcome, welcome to the VMB!!! I hope you have a total blast this trip!!!

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing wrong with a solo trip. Can be so enjoyable and you get to go and do whatever you want.
    Good luck and welcome to the board!

D

• Like Like x 1
  8. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board! Solo trips are really nice- most of my trips have been and are solo!

• Like Like x 1
  9. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you go the Vegas and cannot find ways to enjoy yourself, that is your fault. Jesus, there are a lot of worse things than going solo to Vegas. Let your mentality guide you. If you cannot do that, yeah, you cannot handle being solo. Going to Vegas, either with friends or solo, it is up to you to make it work. Enough of this hand wringing, just do it and enjoy yourself.

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just about to suggest this.
    Welcome to the board. Enjoy your trip.

12. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another perk for me when solo is my host picking up Facials, Massages. When I bring down my best gf, she kinda expects that my host will comp both of us at facials, and/or massages. As much as I love my best girlfriend, she don't get that you have to gamble more than twenty cents a spin. Good luck SOLO!!!!

13. uncurlhalo

uncurlhalo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I picked up my bankroll today and leave tomorrow, its pretty exciting. This board has given me plenty of ideas and tricks to try!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great trip! Hope you'll let us know how it went when you get back.

Remember, no first trip is perfect. You'll make mistakes. You'll get lost. You'll make choices you wish you hadn't made. You'll be confused and overwhelmed. And you'll look back on all of it with warm and fuzzy feelings. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. luridludicloco

luridludicloco Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also love solo, as it seems most people do. Going with people you like can be fun, but not all the time, it puts limits on your freedom of movement, where to go, how late to sleep, how late to gamble :D, to shop or not, to eat here and there. You can find out about things and choose what you feel like doing when you go solo. Going with someone that turns out incompatible can be a torture and ruin a trip, as we have read in trip reports here and there. It is great to go to Vegas solo, your fun will be your creation, good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Solo trips are great. Let your curiosity lead you and you'll have a fantastic time.

then the California
    then South Point, then MSS
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the Board! :D
    I hope your trip is/was great!

RICHARD

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bestie girlfriend comes down with me often and she shops for 12 hours, whereas I gamble for 12 hours. Then the next day she does returns for another 8 hours and I gamble for another 12 hours. So, we work when she comes down with me. However, she does gamble a little, she's more of a 20 cent player (I'm more a $5 and $10 and $15 player, and does enjoy all my perks. I do ask her for a bit of a tip for my my host if we've gone to a comped show,or two or had dinners/lunches/breakfast/room service on my comps. AND then I bring down her girls...and show them, and feed them, so she does buck up for a tip for my host. Oops, sorry, I might have posted this on the wrong thread....Silly me. However, I do mostly go solo.

19. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My very first trip to Vegas was in 1991, 27 years ago when I was in my mid 20s. I had 3 nights at the Flamingo Hilton using Hilton Honors points and that included a ticket to a topless cabaret show at the Flamingo (I remember a lot of pink feathers!) and I believe a couple of buffets. I used FF points for my airfare. I went for 3 days with $300 for everything plus some McDonalds gift cards my mother had given me.

I'm a woman and I went solo and had some extraordinary experiences (including making a lot folks -- I starkly remember they were all men -- a lot of money on a newbie really long craps roll in the wee hours of the morning). I remember like it was yesterday when three double diamond eggs popped up on a dollar machine around 2 am after that newbie roll when I won about $100 and I think some won tens of thousands. I was playing just one coin as two was too expensive for me. With less than 20 coins in I won $800 and it felt like I had won a million. I called my mother around 3 in the morning to ask her if she wanted me to "fly her out to Vegas" given my winnings. Not kidding. :)

I fell in love with Vegas that trip and even with all of the transformations in Vegas, some of which I do not like, and the places I have visited around the world it remains one of my favorite -- and easiest re: planning and least expensive, including gambling given what I get in return -- to visit.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1