1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Give me Tips - The Drive from LA to Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by QIKFIX, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're retired, as you say, so you have flexibility. The first thing is to know what Caltrans is doing and when, and plan around it. That appears to be the #1 problem for you. You can't control idiots -- and the 15-to-Vegas conduit is American Idiot Central. But if you know you have only a lane or two, do it when you know traffic will be at non-peak. And it's not like there aren't other ways to go; there's always the Yucca Valley/Amboy/Kelso route. Or you can be really nuts and take the 405 to the 5 to the 14 ...

Peace of mind is a good use of money. It just comes down to the balance.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's a few shots of Peggy Sue's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 6Mermaids

6Mermaids Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the pictures! I really do need to make a stop! :)

I saw that ken2v told you where the waterpark was. Here is an article with more info. http://laist.com/2011/11/04/road_trip_photos_from_the_abandoned.php#photo-1

4. 6Mermaids

6Mermaids Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have driven to Vegas from Tehachapi a few times after I have dropped my son off at camp. I believe it takes less than 4 hours and it is a lot easier to deal with.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the drive from Arvin to Mojave, from then on it has it's own headaches if not Cajon headaches, and of course you get whatever is dished out from Barstow onward. But for us it's just a way convoluted way to go and only comes in to play if we truly want something out of the usual.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The place I actually miss, and this is one of those ya-love-it-or-ya-hate-it places (kinda like Battista's, huh?), is the Bun Boy, which used to be in Baker.

Back when my parents/relatives were in Orange County, we would make the trip very regularly and always stopped there for breakfast. It was a genuine surviving old-school roadside diner type place, just good food and no faux-retro put-ons. This is the place by that huge thermometer. Alas, now closed.

They say (the ubiquitous "they") that there was another one in the Barstow area, but it's apparently closed too.

7. fugsworth

fugsworth High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a bit more esoteric than most of the tips you'll read on this thread, but take it from someone who learned the hard way... put your deodorant in a ziploc bag. 4+ hours of "car driving through the desert" temperatures will melt that shit all over your suitcase.

8. fresnofishfan

fresnofishfan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen fugsworth ! I had my suitcase ready to go for Tahoe a couple weeks ago in my car at work, thank god I had the deodorant in my shaving kit, and mitigated the damage to that area. Good Advice!!

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, and don't buy a box of Ethel M to surprise the family! :(

10. mattjs33

mattjs33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New to the forum, so just checking out some interesting threads... But this caught my eye:

Don't come to the Chicago area then! It's 80-85 as common practice on the Tri-State around the city. 70 is the folks with trailers in the right lane.

11. thoots

thoots Low-Roller

Actually, just once you might consider driving over on a Friday afternoon/evening. Plan on going past Barstow around midnight, and experience the sheer insanity of the post-midnight traffic. It's something you'll likely remember for the rest of your life. Utter madness!

12. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I set my cruise at 81. I have a radar detector and I know the spots where they set the speed traps coming and going. There are stretches of highway that are more open than you will see in the whole Illinois state. That's where the speed traps are.
    CHP knows Waze also.
    When I used to drive in the late 1960's there were no speed limits, just prima facie.
    I've been passed when I was going 85 by a turbo Porsche that literally went by me like I was standing still.
    Drive 80-85 and you may pay.
    Drive 60 and you may get run over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.