1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting to Vegas from Canada

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by JRRestoule, Sep 16, 2020.

1. SeaJay

SeaJay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys are optimists. My 80-something year old parents in Vancouver haven't even been able to schedule their second Pfizer shot yet. Their daughter (me, in my early 50s), who lives in California, got her second Moderna shot a month ago.

I'll be thrilled if I'm able to visit them at Christmas. At the rate it's going, I'd put the chances of the border being back open by then at probably 50/50.

They're going to have a tough time opening up when so few people (relatively) are fully vaccinated. Until they get that solved the infection rates are going to stay high (IMO).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m in Ontario but there is something wrong if they haven’t been able to schedule yet....how long ago was their first shot? Tell your parents to contact their local MP.

Christmas at Cosmo
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. ripper

ripper Low-Roller

I don't see Canada ever getting 75% fully vax'd. There are a lot pf people that don't want it for any number of reasons. Once the numbers are low people will stop thinking about it. Ibet a lot fo people wont even get their second dose once there is less of a reason to get it. They can't keep everything closed when there a few cases but we haven't hit the 75 number. I am not saying the case count now but in two months if the numbers are small and we have not hit 75% he will have to open it up. U.S. pressure will be huge to get things moving. Trudy will have to flip flop again. I bet he goes with the just kidding guys i meant 75% one dose all along!

I want to go south and i know i can but the 2 week quarantine at home sucks. I would be ok but with a 2 year old in daycare they will not let him in daycare so he would need to stay home. Not worth it. The u.s. might open p on the 22nd of June and that will put pressure on trudy. Really America was open all along. If i wanted to go to Vegas i could have. I know a lot of people that went anyway. Just had to quarantine when they got back. Even then they barely check on you. It was a joke.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Little mans 21st birthday!
  4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really hoping you are wrong.

The game isn't just how long things stay closed this summer. Covid is with us long term. If the cases dwindle and people blow off their vaccinations (or dont get an annual shot when those start to be developed), it raises the likelihood that things will get bad enough again that we will have to deal with future restrictions/closures.

Even people who don't feel a pressing need/worry to get the shot to protect themselves and their family medically, should consider it to protect themselves financially and psychologically.

TL;DR : A high vaccination rate doesn't just get things open, it is what lets us keep them open.

Tentative booking CETDorado farewell tour ends?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rourou

rourou Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also can't wait t get back to Canada. Love visiting and miss my Toronto friends (who were going to meet me in Vegas on my poofed April 2020 trip:(). They told me that they still can't even go to get haircuts where they are, so things seem very behind right now.

6. ripper

ripper Low-Roller

I have my first shot so its not that that i am a anti vax and usually i try and stay as positive as i can but i just see that 75% number not happening. I hope i am wrong too. I know a lot of people that are not anti vax in general but don't want this shot yet because its newish.

Are they using 75% of all adults? 16 and up? 18 and up? We have a 2 year old and as of right now i don't feel right giving him that shot. Yet. He has all the rest he should have but not this one yet.

I think we need at least 80% single dosed to maybe see 75% fully dosed. I just don't see it right now. I hope im wrong. I have been wrong many times before, just look at my MLIFE tax statement.

7. ripper

ripper Low-Roller

8. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    75% of those eligible I would imagine.

Most of the standards were when only 18+ were approved, but the bar is increasing with 12+ now approved. They may not adjust that standard for opening but it will still end up a goal.

It would be a long time yet before they have these tested and approved for kids younger than school age. And if they have enough uptick in older groups, and there isn't evidence of a large impact of the virus on younger children, they may never bother going that low.

9. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trick or Treat
    Trick or Treat
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Quebec we are aiming at 75% of total population , we are at 57.1% as of today, as for me i had one shot and next one is scheduled for early september but they annonced today that they will move up 2nd dose (details next week)

We still have a 9.30pm curfew so Vegas seems so far away

11. ripper

ripper Low-Roller

930 curfew??? If you go to the Canadians game there better not be O.T.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breanna, I think B.C.'s a little slow. SeaJay, that sounds about right with your parents not being able to book their 2nd shot yet. People in B.C. are still just getting their first shots. I'm 60 and got my first Pfizer 2 weeks ago. My 40 year old niece, her husband and their teenage children just got their first Pfizer yesterday. First shots just became open to younger people last week and they want to give as many first shots as possible before moving on to the second shot.

They are suggesting we may be able to schedule our second shot soon but "soon" could be from now to 4 weeks from now. Your parents have not missed the booking opportunity, it simply hasn't been offered yet in B.C.

Fingers crossed for soon. I don't see relaxing travel restrictions or the border reopening for a while yet. But that's JMO.

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unlike the US, Canada does not have manufacturing for any of the vaccines, so we got them later.

And with our case situation, we took a strategy to delay second shots to get a wider cross section with one shot, which is helping take pressure off the hospitals. We are now getting way more doses than in the spring and will likely be starting into second shots by mid to late June.

The US has stuck with the originally recommended time between doses and sacrificed greater partial coverage to get people fully vaccinated. But by the late summer, the problem will be convincing the reluctant to get shots, not having supply for the willing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gadgets19

gadgets19 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree I'm in the pessimist group.
    I've had shot, parents have have had a shot, 101 yr. old gramma is the only one with two.
    2nd shot late June at earliest.
    I would love border open mid-June. Summer holidays in Montana would be a go, Vegas in the Fall.
    I am not counting on it.

15. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you will be able to visit by mid September. Either flying or driving. We're going to Palm Springs in November.

GG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good news here in Ontario for a change, the timeline for 2nd shots have been moved up. Looks like we might get ours about 6 weeks earlier based on the announcement. This is important because the province's reopening plan is directly tied to vaccination rates.

I wonder if they might open the border up in sections depending on how that province is doing. After seeing how the CAD is trading against the USD, the itch to go stateside grew a little more.

Returning after 10 years to Run the Strip
    • Like Like x 1
  17. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good news here in BC. My wife and I just got our e-mail telling us that we can get our second shot of Pfizer.

We may just make it to Vegas this year. We will be flying no more driving. I think the border will be open by September. that's just my guess.

• Like Like x 2
  18. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only fair thing to do would be to keep the border closed until most people get their 2nd shot. I’m getting my first shot tomorrow.

I’m sure they are hounding the U.S for any and all the data before they decide anything…..

19. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2nd shot was scheduled for August but now looks like end of June.
    Vegas in October is looking promising.

• Like Like x 1
  20. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at flights for October 20 and i cant find any direct flight to Vegas from either Toronto or Montreal but i found some to come back(24)

Are there no more direct flights to vegas?