1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting to Vegas from Canada

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by JRRestoule, Sep 16, 2020.

1. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Re 'callback' - I have to call them to do specialty bookings (Companion fare on a one way flight, etc). Yes, about a week wait. The woman I talked with (she was very good) said that they had 260+ calls in the queue at that time. I guess a lot of folks don't want/don't know how to do thinks online.

GG

2. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of companies are trying to push people into online automated support.
    The like that online automated support is a thing.. it can answer many easy questions.
    What I hate is that most companies who have this are trying to push people towards this support by supplying terrible LIVE support.
    I am sure some of this is due to a labour shortage but honestly I remember this starting before the pandemic.

Westjet is changing all kinds of flights and just hoping people go with it.
    I recently cancelled my flights from Westjet and rebooked with Air Canada. The day after I got an e-mail from Air Canada letting me know my flights had been changed.. I was leaving 20 min earlier then originally booked.
    Compared to Westjet changing my departure from direct to connecting and a full day later.

I really hope Westjet can get things together. I have been a loyal West jetter for the last 7 years.
    that Loyalty no longer is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Westjet customer service has been absolutely reprehensible the last year or so. They used to be top notch. I called to BOOK a flight. I was willing to spend money. They told me they were busy but I could make an appointment for a call back. FIVE DAYS LATER. Are you kidding me??? After 1 hour and 5 minutes on hold I hung up. They are making Allegiant look like a top flight Customer Service Leader.

SuperBowl at Caesars Palace
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For fully vaccinated travellers with right of entry into Canada who are travelling by air, the 72-hour period runs from the initially scheduled departure time for their flight leaving Canada to the scheduled departure time for their return flight to Canada. Travellers will be responsible for maintaining proof of the 72-hour period to show airline/rail companies and border officials as required (e.g., boarding pass, travel itinerary).
    Adjustments to Canada’s border and travel measures - Canada.ca

5. westcanguy

westcanguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strange question but I'll ask anyways just case someone else has been country hopping.

Taking a vacation flying from Canada to the Bahamas. Taking a PCR LAMP test with me and using it on the day before I leave(A Saturday). Flying back to Canada the next day and then hopping on a flight the next morning to Vegas. With the PCR LAMP test hopefully giving me a negative response, can I not use these results to board a flight to Vegas since the test was taken within 72 hours of departure to the USA?

6. ripper

ripper High-Roller

Thanks. I had looked on Canada.ca but didn't see it. That's what i was hoping for and the clearest for a traveler. If they used when the passport was scanned it would make it harder and would depend a lot on how long the line up for customs was coming back in. This way is clear.

Little mans 21st birthday!
  7. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spoke to someone at WestJet and was told that these changes are being made to solidify the schedule to the end of March. I asked if more changes could be coming and they said that while it’s still a possibility, the schedule is pretty much set now for that time period. Of course, things can always change and with Omicron, who knows.

Returning after 10 years to Run the Strip
  8. BC_ girl

BC_ girl Low-Roller

Hello Canadians... I am heading to Vegas tomorrow, and doing the under 72 hours thing. so no test. Has anyone flown and done this, I am picturing a huge hassle at the airport when I check in and don't have a covid test.

Also, I am transferring through Edmonton. Wondering how the Edmonton airport is for transferring through to a domestic flight form an international flight.

I had debated cancelling because of all the chaos going on with new restrictions, but decided to go for it. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  9. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You still need at least a Rapid Antigen test to fly to the US. The under 72 hours only applied to not requiring a PCR test before coming back to Canada. You can drive down to the US without the test and come back within 72 hours without a test.

10. BC_ girl

BC_ girl Low-Roller

oh yes I know, I have that test booked today to leave tomorrow. I was under the impression the 72 hour rules to come back was for flights as well, will double check that.

11. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ok just checking. the under 72 hours is for flights, but only for the test for the trip back.

12. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember to complete the can arrive app on the way home. The lines at the land border were longgggg this weekend because people weren't doing this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. westcanguy

westcanguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far, no local news reports about troubles transitioning to domestic from international. They just say to get there a lot earlier but you don't have to worry about that other than clearing customs.
    I must admit, i thought if you flew, you still had to get a PCR test before leaving and it was only at land crossing that you only had to show proof of vaccination. I hope you called customs to confirm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mickyblueeyes

mickyblueeyes High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you get the PCR to go it will cover you for the reurn

15. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You won't get you PCR test result back in time for the flight down and still fit in the 72 hour window for your scheduled flight time back (if you can even take the test before your flight down and still have it within 72 hours of coming back). If you could fit the test before leaving into the 72 hour window, you would need to pay for the higher priced rapid PCR test.

Edit: actually you might be able to pull this off with the Switch Health Lamp test if you have that 72 hour window from test time to scheduled flight back. But you will probably be doing the test to let you go down within a few hours of when you first flight starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BC_ girl

BC_ girl Low-Roller

No I didn’t call to confirm. But it’s right on the government website that if you leave Canada and your departure flight is within 72 hours of your departure flight you don’t need the pcr test to come home.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. westcanguy

westcanguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like your good to go! Please let us know how it goes when you return.

18. mickyblueeyes

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing that. It seems to change daily with the rules. I hope Canada follows the US and changes to rapid antigen for returning home from trips longer than 72 hours. Have a great trip!

19. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Returning after 10 years to Run the Strip
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. mickyblueeyes

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will likely cancel my trip for end of the month. Too wishy washy. If I was retired I would go but unfortunately I'm not