1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Getting to Vegas from Canada

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by JRRestoule, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would be the opposite. They need to check that everyone has a test (no different than now). It would only be the people that don't have a test would need to verify that they were less than 72 hours.

Hopefully they switch to just and antigen test and that this also applies to flights. I would think most non-essential travel by air would be more than 72 hours.

2. ripper

ripper High-Roller

Driving there is a lot of Non E. day trips. Most of my Vegas trips are 3 nights. Last one was about 75 hours. If it means not getting tested i don't mind cutting it back a few hours.

Little mans 21st birthday!
  3. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That verification info is in the terminal when they scan the passport - two second look up. I think they know when and where you pee too!

4. ripper

ripper High-Roller

The only thing with them seeing it on the passport when they scan it is they know when you are attempting to come in. In the airport they have been using the departure time of the last flight to Canada as the " 72 " hours before entry. So is the 72 hours going to be when your passport was scanned going south and then scanned when head back north? For land travel it certainly makes sense. For Air travel it would actually give you less time in the U.S. since they counted the 72 hours from when you get the test to when you get on plane to head north. Not when you clear customs in Canada.

5. Patman

Patman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, not sure how much information is shown at the airline terminal. At Border Services they will know when you left, but the check of the test for flying is done at the check-in desk or the gate or uploaded. If they do allow this for flights, it should still be based on your scheduled trip, otherwise a delay in your return flight might require test while you are waiting at the airport.

6. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just woke up to an e-mail from west jet about my flight in February.
    My direct flight on Feb 12th has now been changed to a connecting flight on Feb 13th.

I see this as kind of crazy.. I had my direct flight changed to a connecting flight in August and while I was not happy I shrugged it off and got over it.. but in that case I was still leaving and arriving on the same day.
    This time I get into Vegas depart Canada and arrive in Vegas on a completely different (and later) day.

So.. Not only does your travel time go from 5 hours of flying 9 hours of flying and a 2 hour delay... but I had plans to meet a friend (Late Feb 12th as that is my birthday) who is flying out of Vegas early on Feb 13th. (we might be able to meet in the airport now I guess).

I know a few others have reported this happening but usually it was the same day OR a day earlier (that is crazy too but at least you will be at your location for any scheduled reason you take your trip)
    Has anyone experienced this happening from Air Canada? I have almost exclusively used Westjet but am wondering if that should change.

This trip was booked on a voucher that I was given back from when the pandemic started so it had to be used by westjet so just cancelling and booking from another airline means I would need to for out money and not use the voucher and it expires on Dec 31st this year.

7. Cbub

Cbub Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Feb non stop home changed to a stop in Edmonton, but at least it's same day. I'm hoping the non stop returns and I can change back by then.

Are there other flights out with WJ on the 12th you can change to? You don't have to accept their itinerary and can change to something else. That said, my Nov flights changed about 7 times from booking to the day I was scheduled to leave, so your Feb flights could change a few times yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve been wondering if AC is making these types of changes too. My flight was changed from
    Direct Dec 22 to a layover in Calgary a day earlier, Dec 21. Our friends got changed to a layover in Calgary but remained on Dec 22. Guess we lost the date lottery.
    I may switch to AC if they aren’t making these changes or start flying SW out of Buffalo.

9. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is another flight on Feb 12th that is at 6:30am (not great as I live 3 hours from the airport but I could get a hotel in Toronto the night before I guess.). It is also a connecting flight in Calgary so my travel time that was 4 hours 50 min still goes to 9 hours 16 min.
    At this point I am thinking the best action is to just cancel the flight and book with Air Canada.
    They have direct flights and are cheaper. (or would be if I was not using a voucher from a previously cancelled westjet flight) get another voucher that I can possibly use.. or just give it up and take my business to someone who wants it in the future.

I need an airline that can provide the service I need (flights staying on the same day and changes ideally not changing more then 4 hours in either direction if a change is needed) and right now it appears Westjet can't do that.
    If this was the first time (or even the first time this year) I would be a little more forgiving but this is the 2 out of 3 trips now that this has happened.. If I wanted a connecting flight on a different day I would have booked the cheaper option at the time of booking. I can't plan trips with the caveat of "we can do this as long as my flight does not get changed to a different day"

I get that the pandemic has made things challenging and even more so for the travel industry.. but this is no way to get people back to flying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on AC and it was changed twice; once from evening to morning on the same day and then by an hour? on the same day. We also had a change from Boeing to Airbus outbound. I think the return has not changed but, I better check!

My original plan was to work and leave office direct to airport, now I lose a day of work for a day in Vegas - not the worst outcome:)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  11. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We’re flying WestJet direct on Feb 24th from Toronto, I guess we should be expecting to see a similar email soon. I assume WestJet is making these changes based off load projections and I totally get them not wanting to fly empty planes back and forth but these kinds of date changes really impact plans. Has anyone tried calling to them? I know they don’t really want to talk to you unless you’re flying within 72 hours.

EDIT: No email but I decided to check their website and our flight, the evening one, is no longer available to book. It’s not even an option. The morning direct flight is still there but who knows for how long. I don’t mind going earlier, the next day or even the same day and taking an extra vacation day. It also appears the flight through Calgary is the shortest non-direct flight at over 9 hours. The rest are 13+ hours.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Returning after 10 years to Run the Strip
  12. westcanguy

westcanguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least none of you made the mistake of booking through Flair. I saw a great price from Edmonton on December 21 for 378.00 for both of us. I booked it and a week later, went back to their website to see if the price changed. There was now no flight on that day. How can that be? I checked my confirmation and sure enough, we were flying out on the 20th at 9am. Went to "manage flights" and when I entered my confirmation, the response was that the flight was cancelled. I called customer service and they said it was cancelled because of "operational issues". I asked why I wasn't notified and was told it was just cancelled the day before and that I wasn't flying until next month. Wow.
    They did process a refund that night but to fly out of Edmonton that day on WestJet was 400.00 each, only double of what we paid on Flair. As a former frequent traveler that had 50k status on AC and Platinum status on WJ, I know how important consistency and dependability is. I can't trust Flair and will never, ever fly with them.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  13. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cancelled my Westjet flight and booked with Air Canada.
    The flights with Air Canada were almost the exact times as my original flights and not counting the voucher it was $100 less then what I paid for my Westjet flight.
    I am premium Economy on both. I know what Westjet premium is like.. but I have no idea what Air Canada Rouge Premium will be like but I assume its close to the same?

Anyway Westjet is giving me my voucher back with another 24 months to use it and refunding the extra I paid to upgrade to premium.
    If everything goes well with Air Canada My Loyalty might switch to AC.. I am a big believer in speaking with my Money rather just barking loudly until people try to shut me up.

• Like Like x 4
  14. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a hunch I logged into my WestJet account and sure enough, when I pull up our flights they’ve been changed. Funny, no email from them indicating there has been a change.

Outbound flight is now the morning direct flight. Not the end of the world, just means one more vacation day used unless we want to fly out the next morning. The nice thing about going out in the morning is that we gain 10 hours in Vegas.

Inbound flight is now through Calgary. Leaves 30 minutes earlier but arrives back here 3 hours later. Not a fan of that. With there still being 3 months, there’s hope it can change back but something tells me it won’t. They’re cancelling flights this far out for a reason. I just hope there aren’t further changes and this is it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really think it is just them trying save money and hoping the customers are willing to go along with it.
    Why send planes 2/3 full when you can consolodate them into calgary and make sure every plane gets the message "we have a sold out flight so we need 15 -20 people to check cary on bags"

16. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Westjet and air Canada black friday sales are live. Managed to get a direct flight from yvr for under $300. I will be in hibernation until then. I hope the government eventually removes pcr testing.

Anyone try Flair before? Looks super cheap to LAS

17. vegasgolfgamble

vegasgolfgamble Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be aware when flying westjet through Calgary in the winter. You could be staying at the airport longer than anticipated.. Weather can really change fast in beautiful Alberta!! Flew west jet once and ended up instead of direct from abbotsford we ended up in Calgary, and stayed for 24 hours till weather cleared . Lost two days in Vegas, Thankyou westjet. Saved quite a bit of money though!! Now we only fly out of Washington to get to vegas and it turns out way cheaper and always direct flight.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  18. ripper

ripper High-Roller

Does anyone have an update on how the 72 hour rule is going to be measured. The new rule starting on Nov. 30th. I get the rule now is 72 hours before your scheduled flight time north. Thats easy. With the new rules when does the 72 hours start for air travel? Easiest for them would be when your passport is scanned. Easiest is going by scheduled flight times. I don't think i have seen anywhere when the 72 hours clock starts. It will be important for my vegas trips.

19. Letsdoit

Letsdoit Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Westjet is horrible. Never flying with them again. They don't value their customers anymore. They robbed me. Had a connecting flight to Vegas from Toronto that never happend and they do not want to reimburse my flight costs lol....They basically charged me for flight and never gave me the service. Went to Toronto from Montreal for the day. The alternate arrangements were to fly to Calgary and leave the next day. Not bad for a 68 hour trip I planned which would be reduced by 24 hours. Unbelievable.......And I paid for the Antigen test, cabs to and from the Airport and Aria wanted to charge me one night for not cancelling within the 24 hour window. That's apart for all the time I wasted and day off work that I had taken. And to top it all off, I waited 2 1/2 hours on hold when I got home to cancel my return flight from Vegas. WESTJET is crap and will go Bankrupt if they continue this nonsense. I've been to Vegas in October and November with Air Canada and no issues. I have written to the Canadian Transport Agency regarding their conduct. I cannot believe that they do not want to at least refund me my departing flight lol......Horrible practices and their Brand is tarnished to me.

Let's do it AGAIN.....
    • Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, that’s crazy. Sorry to hear you had to go through that, hopefully they end up making it right somehow. I know it has been very challenging for the airline industry but that’s not how you go about business.

On a side note, I received the “important changes” emails on Tuesday for my flights. I’m assuming they are sending them out when you hit your 90 day mark for the start of your trip. I did accept both changes but I also requested a callback as I want to talk to someone about these changes and see if there’s any further changes to be expected. Now that we are going to be there for a full extra night, we want to plan things. When I requested the callback, the earliest that was available to receive a call was this coming Monday at 12:30pm. I guess they either don’t have a lot of staff on or they are completely swamped with dealing with issues, some of which sound like are their own creation.

• Like Like x 1