1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Get your affairs in order!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Under the bed?
    Hey Cousin Eddie, I thought those Yuban cans were buried out in the yard!

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I realize after reading this thread that I must get off my ass and start getting my affairs in order.

If I were to pass away this instant I'm confident that my wife will be ok.

What terrifies me is if she were to suddenly pass away. I don't know anything about our state of affairs because she is the one who knows the passwords, accounts, insurances, where all the important documents are, etc. etc. I've let her handle the financials all these years and made no effort to know about our state of affairs.

So now we're seriously talking about this necessary but morbid subject.

3. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Through my work I also have this Trustmark $25 per month custodial care which has a $100 daily benefit. Not sure if I can double dip but I intend to save my Genworth for strictly nursing homes and use this for an in-home caregiver if needed. The hourly rate for a caregiver must be about $35/hr so maybe 3 hours of caregiving per day, enough for the caregiver to change my diaper, feed me, and maybe a sponge bath.
    [​IMG]

4. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I'm sorry to hear about such a rough stretch in your life, Joe.
    That is alot to handle.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It feels like piling on. On Thur and Friday, two guys I worked with for over 30 years died. I feel bad, but I am just not in a mental/emotional state to go another funeral right now.

Don't get old!

6. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While telling everyone your wishes is a great idea, it also helps to have a written advanced directive that is witnessed by persons other than those that may stand to profit in the event of your death. I can't tell you how many times family members have argued about what mom, or Aunt Sally, or Pops would have wanted - because everyone assumed their loved one would have wanted something different. It gets sticky in an emergency situation when a decision has to be made quickly. If it is on paper, and a medical proxy is appointed that will honor your wishes, then there really is no reason for arguing. It's sad that it comes down to family fights in the hospital corridors.

Another suggestion would be to have the hospital you prefer include one in your medical record so that it is already on file in the event a tragedy does occur.

Having been on both ends of this situation - as a nurse involved in resuscitation, and a grief-stricken granddaughter, I know how difficult it is for loved ones to make such important decisions in emergency situations, so I always stress to my friends and family how important it is to make these arrangements ahead of time.

I tried to explain the need for an advanced directive and updated will to my grandmother, but was quickly shot down with her saying, "we already laid everything out in our will in 1985." So much has changed since 1985!!! My uncle finally convinced her that now that my grandfather has passed, and she was the beneficiary of his estate, she needed a new will because her circumstances had changed.

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Notice I said "tell people" AFTER I said to get the legal documents in place. BOTH are important. Legal documents more so, but you never know who will be with you when something happens - and if that person is even able to tell emergency personnel that there ARE legal documents in place, that's a better place to start than many will have.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.