1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Generic Airfare question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by loonytoony, May 2, 2020.

1. loonytoony

loonytoony VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being from Atlanta flights out west are long. Wearing a mask on a 5 hour flight to Vegas or Seattle does not sound comfortable nor safe for someone that has sleep apnea. Airlines dont refund money very often. Do you think this is a legitimate reason to get an airfare refunded now that you must wear a mask. If anyone has a legal background would love to hear those opinions too

GRAND REOPENING!!!!!
  2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Legitimate to whom? Are you cancelling non-essential travel because you don't want to wear a mask? The wife and in-laws cancelled the trip to Germany because of COVID and got their taxes and fees refunded (Lufhtansa cannot legally retain those funds) but had insurance, so they're getting the entirety of their ticket outlay refunded through AIG. I'm not sure, all things considered, how much leverage the mask issue would bring to bear in arguing for a refund.

3. 3544quebec

3544quebec High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would imagine that wearing a surgical type mask for 5 hours on a plane would be significantly more comfortable than wearing a sleep apnea machine mask overnight at home

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The difference is most of us that use CPAP machines are used to it. It was hell for me the first few nights and I still wake up annoyed at it sometimes. I have to use it, and I do...every night, every minute of sleep.

While having to wear a mask for hours may be a requirement for airlines and it may be the '"right" thing to do for the protection of all, it is also something that will make flying a little more uncomfortable that it was prior to the pandemic.

With a reservation made pre-requirement, I'd at least call the airline and push the issue a bit.

My wife is already concerned about the impact on our first class flights in late August...will the price of the first class experience, as a gift from me to her for being wonderful and beautiful, be worth it if a mask is required. That is not ignoring the pandemic issue; it is just an experience issue. We only fly first every few years.

5. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a lawyer but with no specific legal background in this area so you can take what I'm saying with a grain a salt. But, my guess is the answer to your question is NO. Different safety protocols have been implemented at airports over the years to keep passengers safe, heightened security screenings and protocols (3 oz rule) being some of them. It wasn't so long ago that a lot of folks were complaining about those protocols and the inconvenience that would be caused but everyone adapted, and relatively quickly. The few who didn't decided airline travel wasn't going to be for them and so made driving or train or bus travel their form of travel.

Wearing one won't be fun, including for millions of flyers who didn't like flying in the first place or who are claustrophobic, but if you think it will be a big concern for you I would think that if you cancel now the WORST that could happen is that you get a voucher for the cost of your flight that you could use for at least a year. But, as @ronc noted, it couldn't hurt to raise that issue if you are dealing with an airline that is making getting refunds right now a challenge. It seems though, for the moment at least, that the airlines are being pretty accommodating.

Edited to add: Regarding your comment @ronc about flying first class, I assume (though could be wrong) that there will still be food service in first class, so obviously masks will need to be removed to eat. I love Jet Blue Mint, which is its first class service, and was able to snag a good fare for what I hope will be an August Vegas trip. The added bonus IMO is that I think I will feel better flying first class as I'll literally have more space to myself, which will give me added psychological comfort during a five-hour flight. There may no scientific basis for that extra sense of comfort but I figured being in my own pod might be marginally beneficial.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Celebrating Life & My Birthday In a Different But Special Way
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. loonytoony

loonytoony VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback so far. My trip is on Alaska air from ATL to SEA. Purpose was a cruise, which of course is cancelled for the end of June. I did buy first class tickets and I can get a voucher for a year but would prefer a refund. Currently they are holding ground no refund unless flight is cancelled or moved greater than 1 hour. I just figured when I bought the ticket this was not a requirement and now it is. Like someone said, going without a drink for 5 hours on a plane, due to wearing a mask would be burdensome. Maybe that comment is extreme but just tossing things out in the new unknown flying world.

GRAND REOPENING!!!!!
  7. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd give it a few weeks as there may be a decent chance the flight will be cancelled or at least changed. I very much enjoyed my couple of days (pre cruise) in Seattle last August but a lot of folks flying from ATL to SEA on particular days I assume would be flying for a cruise so individuals have probably already been cancelling to be on the flight you were going to be on. At some point the airline could pull the plug -- or change the flight schedule significantly -- so as to not be flying with a near empty plane. Can't hurt to wait it out a few weeks and if a few days before your flight the airline hasn't cancelled or changed the flight by more than an hour you can cancel at that point and your one year voucher will be valid for so many weeks longer than if you cancelled today.

Celebrating Life & My Birthday In a Different But Special Way
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would hold off on cancelling yourself. They may well cancel or move the times enough to allow a cancel.

I would also scan through posts on the Alaska Air section at Flyertalk.com

• Agree Agree x 2