1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Frustrating Auto Repair

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I put my SUV in the shop this morning because the Brakes have been making weird noises and acting up.
    Of course they can't find anything wrong and I keep throwing out suggestions not knowing what the hell I'm talking about...
    During our last phone conversation the guy says; So can you think of anything else that might be wrong?
    And I reply; Dude, I know nothing about cars... All I know is if it doesn't run it's either Broken or Out of Gas!
    This is pure madness!

2. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    brakes making noise, #1 cause is worn brake pads. just change that.
    what year of the car and how many miles on it?

3. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brakes can make noise if you keep putting on the gas while braking. Just kidding. A high pitched squeal that you hear until you apply brakes is telling you the pads may need changing. A low growl when you apply brakes tells you something is not installed properly or springs are weak.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Brake rotors will frequently develop slight rust if they get wet and sit overnight, this is normal and any rust would wear off quickly the first couple times the brakes are applied, it could cause "strange" noises until that happens. If the guys checked the brakes and said they're ok, i would let it go.

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes a Squeaking sound at times and once in a while a low droning sound.
    They called back yesterday to ask if I could go on a test drive and I said
    instead of taking it around the block do multiple drive and stops in the parking lot.
    They called back to say they heard it. They are replacing the front brakes.
    Only took them from 8am to 4pm to figure it out. They never fixed it last night so
    I've been without a vehicle for the past 24+ hours. Must be under new management
    because I've been taking my cars there for years and never had a problem.

6. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just so you know what the problem was (if you care :) )

Break pads have a little metal clip on them - the lower the pad gets from wear, the closer the clip gets to the disc. Eventually with enough wear, the clip will touch the disc. The clip rubbing against the disc is what causes the noise.

I thought some pads come with a rubber nipple instead of the clip but I can't find an image...

I was gonna suggest they look at the bearings but that can be much much more expensive.

Brake-Pad-Sensor-Explanation.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.