1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fremont hotel room safes

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Disney Fan, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disney Fan

Disney Fan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know if the Fremont hotel has room safes and if so are they the keyboard kind or the key type ?? Thanks, can't remember for sure.

2. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes they do, key type. they are on the wall just about chest-high in the closet area near the door. at least that was the case in the last room I was in, which was last month.

3. Disney Fan

Disney Fan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much vegasdev, I actually prefer the keypad type as they may be a bit more secure, do you have any concerns putting cash in the room safes at the Fremont ??

4. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not worried about safety of cash. Just don't want to lose key and would hate to need cash, or better yet have cash to deposit, and travel companion be off somewhere when I needed the key.

Much prefer key pad. This is one factor I considered for next Boyd trip, headed to another property this time.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Technically they say that the key safes are safer (so they say). The downtown boyd hotels say that there is only 1 key to the safe (no master key) so nobody else but you can get into the safe. The signs say that if you lose your key it will cost $35 to have someone come up to open your safe. Supposedly they will have to drill the lock to open it for you. I never had to use this service so I cannot confirm that there is no master key. Hope maybe there is someone here who lost their key who can confirm or deny whether they have a master key to open the safe.

The electronic safes supposedly have a master code to open the safe in case you forget your code and also to open the safe after you check out. That means that it could be possible for someone other than you getting into your safe during your stay.

I'm not really sure which safe is better/safer but I'm the type to bring travelers checks and use markers so I basically use the safe to store my notebook or tablet and camera.

6. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be advised that the Fremont safe is quite narrow. It will do well for jewelry and cash, but I doubt many laptops will fit.

As for electronic safes, I read somewhere that a bug would permit opening these safes upon entering four zeros. Being the curious (and gullible) sort, I tried that on my room safe at Suncoast a year ago. Nope, it didn't open the safe. In fact, the safe wouldn't open again afterwards with the code I had previously entered. (Fortunately, I didn't put anything in the safe before trying this.) The desk sent up a maintenance tech, who used a handheld gadget connected to a USB connector on the safe to clear the problem. I thanked him, he left, and the safe screwed up again!

7. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    up until about a year ago, I never used the in-room safes. losing the key is certainly a concern. I had one panicked moment when I couldn't recall where I had put the key! I would cringe if I had to pay the $35. 4Q has keypad type. I had a room where the techs had to come up 3 times because the battery pack kept falling out and pulling out the wires. I am a bit of a worrier, so I fret what might happen if I use the safe or if I don't. :confused:

8. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer key pad but I never lost key either. I usually it in my back pocket.

The safe I had last year was backwards and the door opened towards me and I had a hard time seeing inside... Not sure if all are like that or not.

9. Disney Fan

Disney Fan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for your help...

10. bostonvegas

bostonvegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The safes are definitely for cash and jewelry, and maybe an iPad mini -- anything larger, no dice.

I got bumped up to a "suite" at Fremont last trip, and the safe opened backwards like someone else experienced, which made it tough to access. But other than that I've always had them opening the right way!

11. Fet297

Fet297 108 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My iPad Air did fit in the Fremont safe. But be careful when you open it - mine fell out because I didn't have it in with a proper "lean". No damage and I learned how to properly store it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.