1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

For car renters, beware starting March 21 if going downtown.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Big Squeeze” is poised to follow the rules of sequels when it debuts March 21 in downtown Las Vegas.

Just like with movies, the second edition is going to be worse than the first — with “The Godfather” franchise as the rare exception, of course.

As Nevada Department of Transportation spokesman Tony Illia told me just a few days ago: “This isn’t like the other closures you may have encountered before.”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/columns/road-warrior/believe-the-hype-when-the-big-squeeze-arrives-downtown-las-vegas?email_subscriber=yes

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I think I'll just continue to use the surface streets. It's not really that far anyway (15 minutes typically), and besides, you get to see some of the finer areas of Vegas - LOL.

I was surprised on my last visit to see the construction on Flamingo actually done after about 10 years.

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, that could complicate the golf trip. Thanks for the heads up.

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We take 15 to get to the Palomino but the work is on 95 so it should be ok. Or just get off the freeway before 95 and take city streets.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info! I will be there in about 1 month so good to be forewarned. Guess I will be taking the surface streets to and from Meadows Mall from downtown.

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm used to it. There are 5 season's in Wisconsin. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Construction

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. jbee

jbee Low-Roller

I thought you were talking about California. With construction being all of the year with the others blending in.

8. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i go from the Orleans or GC to downtown on I-15 north. will that be an issue?

9. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Close.... 4 seasons...

Winter
    Spring
    Fall
    Road Construction

And July 17.

Super Bowl / Poker Trip Combo Platter
    Bowling the USBC National tournament, I hope.
  10. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

That's entirely what the article is about.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 2018, Roady McRoadface.

12. BostonJP

BostonJP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be in town right after this construction starts and I do want to hit the Mob Museum at some point. Coming from the strip and/or Hard Rock will this affect me? I'm a Vegas newbie so I'm interested in the recommendations from those in the know.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Hard to say. The RVJ notice shows that work will be done on the 95 going east/west between Rancho drive and the spaghetti bowl so if you are taking the I15 northward it may or may not affect your drive. I would recommend getting off at Charleston or the exit near the Premium Outlet mall, that way you avoid the spaghetti bowl entirely. You should probably keep up to date with traffic patterns because you may have to get off as early as Sahara if the I15 north gets backed up.

I will be going to vegas next month, staying downtown and will be renting a car so I may be affected by the road construction. When I get back I will post any info I find but the problem is that the roadwork may change depending on what side of the highway they are working on or what they are doing.

But even then the second notice in the OP's post mentions that there will be roadwork and closures on the surface streets in the area also.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Coming from Hard Rock should not be an issue. The article is telling us that I-15 will be the problem. You will either sit in traffic on the highway, or be jammed on certain side streets. As I stay at Orleans, I will just hump it on the side streets, or enjoy a nice ride up the Strip.

15. VegasTravelNews

VegasTravelNews MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My suggestion: use Google Maps/Navigation.

16. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't have to take I-15 to get to The Mob Museum. Just drive north on Las Vegas Boulevard (toward the Fashion Show Mall, past the Stratosphere and keep going until you hit Downtown. A couple of blocks after you pass Fremont Street you will see "Stewart Avenue" - just make a left on Stewart and the Mob Museum is a couple of blocks up on the right hand side of the street. The Neon Boneyard is close to the Mob Museum and I would highly recommend it - you do have to reserve tickets in advance because the tour groups are small and they sell out.

If you have a smartphone and don't already have the app called Waze, I highly recommend it as well, for getting around Vegas since you are a newbie. It is a free GPS app that offers voice guidance and has constantly updated traffic conditions including telling you if there is an accident or police vehicle up ahead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But does this function tell you where the bottle necks and traffic for the day is? That is the problem, drivers need to know which route to take that will meet with less traffic resistance. With changing construction and closures every day (and possible hour to hour) drivers need to know real time which would be the best route to take.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are at the Hard Rock, just get on Paradise going north (towards downtown), when you get to the Stratosphere area, turn right on 4th St and take that all the way to Steward AV. Mob Museum is at 300 Steward. They have a parking lot, but they do charge, I don't know how much.

19. VegasTravelNews

VegasTravelNews MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. Google reads location/speed data from everyone that has Google Maps installed (most people don't know this). This is how they know the most up to the minute traffic information. They are also aware of long term construction projects involving road closures. Using this information and some pretty amazing technology, they calculate what they feel is the fastest route for you. While not perfect (they can't know about one day road closing for example), it works pretty well..

20. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. You must mean the google navigation and transport android application because I can't find it in the regular google maps.

Too bad, I don't have wifi so I can't use the application until I can find a signal. No, I don't have a smartphone but I do use a tablet but I have to find a wifi signal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.