1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Food, Drink and a bit of Gambling mixed in. Luxor July 7-9

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by JSR1968, Jul 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSR1968

JSR1968 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Tuesday July 7 Day 1

The day started at 3:45am with me waking up, showering and driving 10 short minutes to my friend Ben’s house to start our trip to Vegas by driving from Columbus to the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport (flights from Columbus were $460 per person. Flights from Cincinnati were $226). We arrive at CVG at 6:30 with plenty of time to spare for our 7:20am flight. Frontier was taking a LONG time to check bags and then started picking passengers for the Ft. Lauderdale flight out of the line before everyone else. I didn’t even think to check our flight status which was delayed 2 hours. It was a good thing because it took 45 minutes to get through TSA. Sheesh!!!

The flight was ok. The highlight was the in-flight crew having some games/trivia questions about one hour from Las Vegas. I won a free drink ($6.99 value!) for answering a trivia question correctly beating out 165 other people. The last game was putting your seat number on a $1 if you wanted to play, they then put the money in a bag and drew one $1. The winner was seated 2 rows ahead of us and won $86.

Got a cab and after the cabbie asked if we had been to Vegas before I said “Yes and please take Tropicana to the Luxor and not the tunnel”. He bitched about it being the same and made the exit for the freeway. I said “I don’t want you to take the freeway so please take Tropicana”. He ended up looping around somehow and drove to the Luxor via Tropicana. The fare was almost $18 which I know was higher than normal so I paid him $20 to go away. No big deal about a couple of bucks but it pisses me off when people do crap like that.

The employee at the Invited Guest line was not very pleasant but we were able to check in at about 10am so it didn’t bother me. I was comped 3 nights in a tower room (East tower for the first time) on the 12th floor. The Towers are getting pretty dated but the rooms are still ok for me. Bathrooms (bath tub and separate stand up shower) work just fine and the A/C is SUPER!!!

We dropped the bags off and walked down to the MLife desk to get copies of my card, my free play ($75) and to cash in some MyVegas rewards (Hey I had almost 700,000 points might as well use some). We went by the Playbar to see how our luck was going to start for the trip. My first $20 in along with $75 free play resulted in one 4oak and cashing out with $130. I cashed out, pocketed the TITO and moved a machine over. Another $20 in and another 4oak. Cashed out immediately for $86.25. After a couple of beers and a shot overall we started pondering eating since it had been since dinner on Monday since I had eaten. We walked over to Mandalay Bay and got a couple of reuben sandwiches from the Sports Book Grill. It was pricey but pretty darn good! We picked up some supplies for the room (beer and Jager), took those upstairs and got them on ice.

MyVegas rewards #1 would be next on the agenda. I had a $50 bar credit at The Times Square Bar at NYNY. We walked over there, sat down and had some drinks. It was a good time overall with the piano players starting up and the place starting to get going pretty early (between 7 and 8). Ben decided to try New York Pizzeria (next door) and got us a couple of slices. The pizza was pretty good and helped counter the beers and shots we had. I was now officially full having ate twice in under 4 hours. We walked back to the room, had another beer and crashed for the night.

IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6517.jpg

Wednesday July 8 Day 2

Started off Wednesday with breakfast at More Buffet at Luxor (MyVeegas Reward #2). I like this buffet for breakfast due to its location and decent food quality. We walked around a little bit before settling in at the Race and Sports Book for some MLB and Belmont racing action.

We were splitting a $12 exacta bet per race. We bet every race this day except the 3rd (HEAVY favorite who won). We bet 8 races total for $96. We hit 3 exactas for a total of $267.40 with the highlight being a $201.50 payout on the 1st. Talk about a good start!

I wasn’t betting baseball but Ben sure was. He was playing the “First 5 innings” bet and won all four games he bet.

By the time we were done at about 4:00 we had both had quite a few beers and shots celebrating our win. On a side note, the drink service (even though you have to get drink tickets from the Sports Book) on the floor and at Playbar was EXCELLENT!!!

We sat down at Playbar and burned a few $20’s with no success. It was time to go up to the room to change for dinner.

We had a 6:30 reservation at Tender (MyVegas Reward #3). We ordered a bottle of wine (Kenwood Jack London 2011 Merlot) which I thought was good. I don’t know much about wine but I know what I like and stay in my comfort zone. Next up was a cheese platter with three cheeses and assorted items. Everything was VERY good. We decided to go straight to the Main Event which was a 20 oz. bone-in Ribeye. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that was GREAT!!! The bill was $105 after our $75 discount. We left $150 due to the service being what we both thought was average. We both work part-time in the bar industry and generally tip well as long as we get above average service.

The plan was to go up to the room, change and go walking up the strip. We both dozed off with our feet up watching TV for a bit so we just crashed for the night.

IMG_6519.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6523.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

IMG_6525.jpg

Thursday July 9 Day 3

We got up and had some shopping to do for some friends back home. Had a quick breakfast in the Food Court (don’t even remember where) and walked up to the Harley Davidson Café which is close to Planet Hollywood. I thought I could just get some Las Vegas Harley t-shirts but I was WRONG! Everything had the word Café on it. DAMN! The nice girl told me that there was a Harley store in Monte Carlo.

We crossed the street by Cosmo, walked through Crystals, Aria and then Monte Carlo. I bought two t-shirts for a friend back home. It was already after 10am so Belmont and baseball were starting soon. We decided to walk back to Luxor.

We missed the first three races so we bet the remaining six. Same bet as yesterday. $72 in, $63.20 out. We had three races where our horses ran 1st and 3rd. One of those would have paid in the $150 range if it would have hit. I am a BIG TIME horse racing fan but hadn’t been betting or handicapping lately, I was happy with the way everything went with my picks being in contention even though we lost a little bit of money this day.

Ben continued his TEAR betting baseball. After the dust cleared he had gone 3-1-3 on his bets giving him only one loss out of ten games bet. He is now known as Benny Baseball here in Columbus.

Once again we had GREAT drink service on the floor and at Playbar. We played some video poker for a bit before going to Public House for dinner.

The food at Public house was pretty good. Ben had a cheeseburger which was overdone but he said it was ok. I had buffalo wings (HOT!) and an egg roll with Philly Cheesesteak filling. DELICIOUS!!!

We then retired upstairs to relax before our red eye flight home.

Our plane was supposed to leave at 10:45pm but of course it was delayed until 12:40am. We didn’t even leave the hotel until 11:00pm. No lines anywhere at the airport. The flight home was three hours, ten minutes then a two hour drive home. I walked in my front door at 10:30am EST.

I accomplished exactly what I set out to do on this trip. I got plenty of rest and relaxation. I ate and drank what I wanted when I wanted. I’m sure the people at Luxor weren’t too happy with my gambling numbers but oh well. I counted my cash and spent exactly $300 during the whole trip. PERFECT!

IMG_6527.jpg

IMG_6528.jpg

IMG_6529.jpg

IMG_6530.jpg

IMG_6531.jpg

IMG_6532.jpg

2. greeneyes

greeneyes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report and thanks for the pics!

3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good report! And nice work with a dealt quad and a throwaway quad!!!

4. JSR1968

JSR1968 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks!

5. 1slomofo

1slomofo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i love reports with pictures.

and your total spent is awesome! - I call that a WIN.

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow good hits in the book. and thanks for the posts of the 4OAK; 6:5 exists beyond the blackjack table I see.....wow....congratulations on the wins....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.