1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flying direct from the UK

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by The Stig, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Domestically US, Southwest still does Direct flights. To our friends traveling to Vegas from across the pond... definitely do a non-stop from your home airport to Vegas if you can...our domestic airports in the US are terrible for connecting international passengers to their final destination in the US. Heck, I hate connecting at some of them when I'm flying domestic US routes.

2. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown both and have to say I wouldn't recommend flying indirect unless absolutely necessary!

Social Distancing in the Penthouse
    Hopefully an Xmas Fairytale in New York
  3. thedukeofdublin

thedukeofdublin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    direct of sorts.......

Dublin - Gatwick - Vegas is a dream with BA.

Have done Dublin - Phily - Vegas & Dublin - Atlanta - Vegas along with Dublin - NY - Vegas and all seemed such a treck so never doing them again.

4. beaumontbhoy

beaumontbhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad u said that as that is what we are doing this time. Is ba good for long flights

5. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've travelled on virgin and BA from Gatwick and BA back to Heathrow. Very similar in my experience. Virgin's entertainment should have all been upgraded by now so should be better than it was. You can book 90 days in advance on virgin for seats but only on check in for BA unless you pay £80 return. BA headrests come around your head so is more comfortable for a night flight. Virgin has four sets of two seats at the back which are great but then you are at the back of the customs queue in Vegas which is not a good plan. Food is similar. BA has a snack bar at the back of the plane open all the flight and lots of freebie chocolate and biscuits. Virgin check in in Gatwick and Vegas was so so so much better than BA. BA in Vegas was chaos with no one really having a clue where to line up or what to do, same queue for bag drop and check in. Lots of confused people, virgin is easy in Vegas. That's about all I can think of. I go with whatever price is cheaper, usually virgin with their miles and money fares.

Corinne

6. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will be trying the Virgin direct flight for the first time next week.
    We've done direct with Airtours/Thomas Cook a few times, BMI once, and the remainder with USA companies where a change of planes is usually expected.

We usually go for a long time, typically 6 to 8 weeks. The small increase in journey time with an indirect flight has never been a problem with us. American carriers are usually better because of larger seat size, better luggage allowances and cheaper prices. Our next trip is direct with Virgin. We have 23kg/50lb hold luggage and 6kg cabin baggage. No extra personal item or anything else. Last trip with US Airways, we had 50 lb hold luggage, 18 lb cabin baggage PLUS a personal item, ie laptop case or handbag.

We will be in Vegas around 3 hours earlier with the Virgin flight, I doubt it will be a big deal in the scheme of our trip.

7. Mike40

Mike40 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would read the small print because I think you will find you can't upgrade to upper class using Air Miles to Las Vegas.....:cry:

8. SAFCdurham

SAFCdurham Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew direct with BA from Heathrow 2 years ago, great flight and drinks service! Flying from Gatwick direct with Virgin next week (their Vegas planes have just been done out with new seats and entertainment system!).

9. dodgydave

dodgydave Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first visit to Vegas was in 2001, when there wasn't anything like the number of direct flights that we get now.Flying out via LA, which made it something like a 16 hour journey. Coming back via San Fran, where we missed our flight due to fog. Wouldn't even consider a non direct flight now.
    Coming in over McCarran, high on anticipation, cannot be beat.

10. redsdog

redsdog Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Mike40 - you sure about that? I only ask because its quoted on the webiste as a 12500 point upgrade from Premium to Upper one way to Vegas from Manchester.

Be gutted if it cant be done:cry: but it does say you can do it on the flying club website - I had a look but couldnt find it mentioned anywhere that you could ot upgrade to upper.

Let me know

Thanks

11. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not aware that miles upgrades from Premium to Upper are excluded but certainly check the small print. Virgin cabin upgrades often have clauses about the ticket type that is being upgraded so, for example, you might only be able to upgrade a fully flexible PE fare, rather than the cheapo fare most flyers look for. The fully flexible PE ticket might cost more than a cheapo Upper ticket.

I have found miles + money the best use for Virgin miles but I switched to BA a few years ago. Far easier to earn and redeem miles IMO.

12. redsdog

redsdog Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheers Tubbs

Yeah your defo right about the discounted fares. They wont let you upgrade tickets unless they are from a certain fare class as you say.

Other than that it seems easy enough.

Cheers

Reds

13. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I have just returned to the UK today after a week in Vegas, have to say that both flights were good and had no problems except about 50 mins late on return flight, was very happy with service and would certainly do direct again.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.