1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flight cancellations? Trying to decide between Spirit & a mainstream airline

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by julia, Sep 6, 2021.

1. julia

julia Craps, VP & Microbews

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually fly Spirit to Vegas. I pack lightly, and like to keep my transport costs low to allow more budget for fun. My home airport to LAS is only 2.5 hours, so no need for luxury.

However, hearing about flight cancellations is making me nervous about using Spirit for my upcoming (just booked last night) trip next month. I can do Southwest or Alaska for $160 or Spirit for $60. But if Spirit cancels on me....that's not worth it.

Thoughts/opinions from recent flyers, especially from the PNW?

Celine!
    Fingers crossed for a belated 21st bday trip
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure this helps much but I've flown SW a number of times recently, including to/from Vegas last week, and no problems. Matter of fact, at least out of the airport I took (BWI), I saw no delays or cancellations at all. I know there were some issues recently, but I've never had an issue with SW. I would pay a bit more for piece of mind, Spirit can cancel for whatever reason and many times, if they do, you're screwed.

3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would NEVER fly any of the "low cost" carriers.

Spirit
    Frontier
    Allegiant

Too many horror stories. If they cancel, some of them don't fly every day, so you should be "stranded" for more than a day.

SWA treats me just fine. If SWA is too high, there are plenty of other "A-list" (I know, a dubious term) that I can choose from. If they're too high, I can drive, or worst case, I just don't go.

@Chrisbeans is from the PNW, as is @Sonya perhaps they have opinions.

Borgata Atlantic City - 2 nights comped
    (tentative) First HGS weekend
    • Agree Agree x 7
  4. Renaldow

Renaldow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't worry about it. They had a problem, it's in the past <--- that's the way I look at it.

Any airline can have a crisis tomorrow.

One of the reasons I don't worry about it is that flights from Vegas to PNW airports are a dime a dozen. Each airline usually has several flights a day like clockwork.

Another option I didn't see you mention is Frontier, and I'd suggest checking them out. They have often have better fares than Spirit. I've got 4 trips to Vegas booked through the end of the year, and I'm using Frontier for most of them, aside from 2 where it's Spirit there and Frontier on the return. Both airlines are very similar from the passenger standpoint, I've found.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the $100 difference worth the piece of mind?

At least with Alaska or Southwest, they will rebook you on a different flight if your original is canceled, typically the same day and sometimes on a different airline.

ETA
    I stand corrected on Southwest not transferring you to another airline.
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?posts/2287230/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Legion

Legion Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit is a top 5 airline for on time performance.. 2nd best airline for shortest delay. Take Spirit you will be fine.

8FEF1BE9-DE0A-4FAA-B0DF-79F0EDADA655.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are other factors to consider. biggest one is what the options are in case of flight issues. Does the airline have other flight options to take care of you? Anybody with one flight a day drops way down my list. If they do not even fly every day, then it goes to the bottom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have been flying SW for several years with no issues until last week. Our flight from MKE to LAS last Monday was cancelled about 4 hours before takeoff!!! However, I believe the reason for the cancellation was related to the hurricane on the east coast, since our plane was coming from DC. We were able to rebook our flight that took off two hours before our original flight (with an insane mad dash to the airport that got us to the gate 10 minutes before boarding began), but since it was MKE to DEN to LAS with a three hour layover in DEN, we got to Vegas about 3 hours later than originally planned. But the important thing is that we still made it to Vegas on the same day!!! Not sure that would have happened with Spirit!

9. Catboiler

Catboiler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Spirit often. Yes, I've gotten screwed before, but only once so far (and the airport food vouchers they gave me totaled more than our airfare). My Vegas trips are usually very flexible. If they cancel my flight on a Monday, I can wait until Tuesday to fly out. It's worth it for the cost savings for me. I don't need extra leg room, or a free Coke. As long as the plane gets me there in one piece, I don't care who flew. We're flying Spirit on October 11, it was around $70/each where as Southwest was $280/each. Worth it to me. Now $100 savings is borderline, go for SW. I'd probably still do Spirit, but that's me.

AWS Reinvent But Just A Tourist
    Couple Extra Days After AWS
  10. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest's flexibility is a big benefit.
    If your schedule changes and you want to fly out a day earlier just rebook and pay the difference.
    Not feeling well the day before your flight, just cancel and you'll have a SW credit good for a year after the original booking date.
    Your $160 flight drops to $120, login and change the flight and receive a $40 credit.

11. Renaldow

Renaldow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone have a link to a list of the flight numbers and destinations that were cancelled by Spirit and American Airlines that weekend? I'm curious to see if any of the NW flights were canceled. I haven't been able to find such a list.

Here's the reason I ask:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the only flights that Spirit does in the Northwest are non stops between Seattle and Vegas and Portland in Vegas. I'm thinking the outage had much less impact in the Northwest than it did in other places.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest WON'T book you on another airline. You'd have to get a refund on your ticket from Southwest and book yourself on another airline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have SW points? Book Spirit and book a SW flight shortly after. If Spirit cancels you, fly SW. If not, cancel the SW and get your points back.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. julia

julia Craps, VP & Microbews

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a great idea...but I only have 2800 Southwest points, lol. I don't have a lot of airline loyalty, I usually just shop by price. Last cross-country trip, I flew AA to DCA and SW back! I don't currently have an airline CC....trying to decide it that's worth it.

thx for all the tips/ideas/feedback. As I said, I'm pretty happy with Spirit but just nervous about these recent cancellations. Vacation time is precious!

Celine!
    Fingers crossed for a belated 21st bday trip
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kaylatheplaya

Kaylatheplaya Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm from PNW and I always fly alaska airlines! Never have had any problems, always on time, and excellent customer service! They let me re book tickets everytime the price goes down and many Perks with the alaska credit card.

2021 Grand Finale
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Renaldow

Renaldow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to love Alaska and they were my main airline for years. When they started adjusting flights due to the pandemic, they gave Portland the bad end of the stick. Almost every one of their flights from PDX makes you go to SEA and change planes. They've made what were 2.5 hour straight flights into 4+ hour flights with connections in SEA that require you to run from one end of the airport to the other. Completely different terminals. If they get back to where they were in 2019, I'll happily return to them

17. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked both Spirit (leaving MKE at 7:30 AM) and Southwest with points (leaving MKE at 7:10 PM) for this coming trip. As soon as I am belted into my Spirit trip I will be cancelling my Southwest trip.

If Spirit cancels, I already have my back-up and will get a refund.

MJ's going to the Super Bowl (in Vegas)
    USBC Nationals, my portion
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  18. Brandt

Brandt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit doesn't have the flight redundancies of other airlines. If your AA flight is canceled for example, they may rebook you through a different hub, PHX, Dallas, Chicago for example, which will all have probably 5-10 flights a day to Vegas. If your spirit flight is canceled you may have to wait days to find an open seat. If you fly a lot, you could book both spirit and another airline as a backup if leaves later in the day. All the major carriers right now allow for standard tickets to be canceled and used as future flight credit.

19. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s a personal calculation of how much cheaper are they plus how bad is it for you if it’s canceled.

I generally won’t book the low cost carriers if a cancelation means no flight home for days later. You gotta look at the schedules to have some idea of that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How many flights a day do they have from those markets