$20 Flamingo

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Paragon716

Paragon716 Tourist

Hi there, this will be my first time staying at the Flamingo, and everyone here has been providing extremely helpful information that will help me greatly!

I will be going to LV next month. Has anyone tried the sammich trick during a convention week? I realize that it's gonna be busy everywhere and was just curious to see if anyone has tried and was successful during a busy week.

Thanks again in advance for the information. This website has been a fantastic help for me.

2. jcombs

jcombs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone had any luck upgrading from a Go Room to something bigger? I'll be going in late Feb and have a heavily discounted Go room ($15/night I think). At checkout on the site they asked if I wanted a standby upgrade to a Go mini-suite ($35/night), or a Neapolitan Suite ($90/night). I thought about the Go mini, but figured I'll just try a sandwich at check in. It's a Sunday-Wed trip, so hopefully there will be some upgrade options available.

3. oaklanddom

oaklanddom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    is there any day better than another to get upgraded example would you have a better chance on a sunday rather than a friday

4. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be at checking in the same as you Sunday through Wednesday booked comp in a Go room. Was thinking about the same issue with an upgrade. Once, they "upgraded" me to a strip view top floor room and it was not at all an upgrade in my mind at all. Be careful in accepting the so-called upgrades there.
    I'm going solo and would like a great room but as long as it's in good shape and not pre-remodel. Maybe we'll run into each other!

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll always have a better chance on a weekday than on a Fri/Saturday

6. JJLV

JJLV High-Roller

Frozen Tundra. Desert dream died with him.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Adding my Flamingo $20 tip/ bribe/ trick story. (BTW I have used often in my Vegas travels from Gold to Diamond to nothing at some properties and has always worked but once at RIO eons ago)

This last New Years Eve had Comp 5 night stay at Flamingo. I am Diamond but low, I don't have a host, I always use VIP phone # or on line to reserve. Being NYE I called as on line only gave me a fab and I wanted to try for a go. I asked for a go room and still could only get Fab. (I usually now get comped at Caesars in Augustus, but like I said NYE and I am low Diamond so happy I got a comp at all NYE, but I do like and am use to nicer room now:). I called to confirm 2 weeks prior to arrival as I had a couple questions about NYE party and tried again for a go, but no go on the go again. Lol.

When arrived NYE check in had nice desk clerk. Our room was not ready (11am), of course it was a zoo too. She asked for a number to call us when it's ready. I gave it and asked what room type and she said a fab and I said oh ,was hoping for a go. Oh well. (just checking in case:). I then just politely stated to please make it nice as can adding the truth that it is our anniversary and hubby bd.... I understand NYE and all but would so appreciate and be great if we could get in earlier than later as gave her a 20 and said appreciate whatever you can do if anything and started to walk away... Well low and behold... hold on Mrs D... tap tap on keyboard, a call somewhere asking if so and so room ready or how about this one ready yet and boom how about that, a go room on vip floor opened up lol. Yep vegas likes the grease. Even if a 20. And so worth it my world. I had figured I was stuck in a fab, I was just more so at that point hoping for ASAP check in on crazy, busy NYE. I am so sure my tip did it as was told twice before no to a go.

Be polite and Never hurts to ask :) This scenario is pretty much how I always state that I appreciate the best you can do.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  7. mr.lubie

mr.lubie Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a standard room booked Feb 8th-11th. Room was comped through total rewards.
    Realized it was the Chinese New Year when I had arrived and wasn't sure I would have much of a chance for a upgrade.
    Sandwiched a $20 with my credit card and ID.
    She seemed happily surprised and I asked if she might have a upgrade with a decent view or a tub and told her I wasn't picky and would be happy with anything she could do to help.
    She upgraded me to a GO room on the 18th floor.
    Was able to watch the fountain from my room.

8. eniwouw

eniwouw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked a Go Room, we would try the trick but at the end we didn't. Get a room with view and a bath :)
    The bath we already requested when booked. And get it :)!!

9. oaklanddom

oaklanddom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    20$ trick

just did it at the flamingo upgrade to a strip view go room with 2 queens

10. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. oaklanddom

oaklanddom Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2o trick works

i used the 20$ trick in march i got an upgrade to a go room with a strip view but she didnt waive the resort fee but she dropped the early check in fee :nworthy::nono:

12. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bah! Got a room on 28th floor miles from the elevators(not helpful for handicapped!) But with a fridge.Room is very dated. Not very happy. 20 bucks got me a fridge. Looks like I will be trying Ballys in November!

13. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Headed to Flamingo in 5 days, the $20 trick will be in effect! Wish me luck, I got rejected at the Mirage.

July 19th - July 24th
  14. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck!!!!!

15. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Luck. I don't think I have ever struck out on an upgrade at the Flamingo.

16. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let us know how it goes. I've used the $20 sandwich all over and it almost always works. But I have 4 rooms reserved at the Flamingo in June so I'm not so sure this time. I want to keep everyone together if possible so it will be all or nothing on the sandwich. I'll up it from $20 of course.

17. keeper0499

keeper0499 Tourist

Flamingo 4/6 - 14

I came in town early for a convention and thought because the back half of my stay was paid for under the company's convention rate that it would make it unlikely that the $20 trick would work.

I was wrong

It got me updated to FAB room with coffeepot and fridge on the 27th floor with a view of the High Roller AND early check in fees waived.

Because of whatever deal the company got all resort fees were waived for the length of my extra days too. I was offered a one device internet fee of $14something which I refused.

For my first Vegas visit it was a win-win-win-win. Thanks to the info I learned here.

18. Paragon716

Paragon716 Tourist

I went back in January, and didn't need to make this a "trick". I had a folded up $20 in my hand, visible for the girl at the desk to see and was kinda waving it around when I asked about upgrades. I was originally placed in the 19th floor and was they "found a room" available for me on the 27th floor with a strip and High Roller view. Once I got the upgrade, I just handed the girl the $20 saying "Thank you, this is for you" and all went well.

I may be going back in January again and if I stay at the Flamingo, I will do the same thing. No need to hide when you can be open about it... depending on how many people are around the desk area.

19. cvkelz

cvkelz Extremely Low Roller- like, I barely roll at all.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently read on the interwebs that The Flamingo has put a ban on desk clerks offering upgrades. I can't find now where I read it, but does anyone have any insight on this? I am a platinum member, but only go to Vegas once a year. I have only recently gotten the stones to think about trying the 20 dollar trick, and Flamingo is my favorite hotel. Any one heard anything on this?

20. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just used $40 sandwich (we have several rooms) and got upgraded to high floor strip view on Sunday. She was very accommodating.