1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First live concert you attended?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Packer, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Rob6 8

Rob6 8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first big concert was at the old NO Muncipal Aditorium about 1972 with my older brother and one of his buddies. Joe Walsh opened for Wishbone Ash.

• Like Like x 2
  2. weas

weas Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Vegas Deals

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Elvis Presley in Miami in 1957. To further date myself I had brand new light blue dungrees.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rookies11

Rookies11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Age 12- September 7, 1964 Maple Leaf Gardens

9E01DB21-DEEF-4142-BEDB-F8BBBE9C04AF.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I soooooooo wanted to go to the one at Shea, but the 'rents insisted and put their foot down that I was too young for that. :(

5. RushAndRoulette

RushAndRoulette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wish I was there, but I was too young. Saw these 3 noisy Canadiens on the Power Windows Tour in late 85/early 86 I think, and went to every tour since then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    George Harrison, 72, Chicago Stadium. It was I think his second to last show of the tour. Something like 38 shows in 40 days. His voice was trashed! Ravi Shankar opened for him.
    Someone earlier mentioned seeing Styx. Saw them quite a few times at our high school before they got real big and went to bigger venues.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Skyler

Skyler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Elvis in Abilene TX in 1976. I was only 3 years old, but the arena was packed we had floor seats. My whole family went. My grandmother put me on her shoulders and tried to get to the stage so I could get a scarf. A security guard kept telling her to sit down lol.

• Like Like x 3
  8. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glenn Yarbrough - around 1968 @ the Mary E Sawyer Auditorium in LaCrosse, WI. I was around 6. Front row, center.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I (think I) said in a similar thread a while back (or was that on another board?) it depends on what you call a "Live Concert", as I went to countless bar/club/hall/theater concerts/sessions of local/regional groups way back in my HS days.

I was in college in the 70s, the golden age of the touring concerts, and I saw countless rock and folk concerts. The ones I remember very specifically were BTO and REO on the same evening, same show, John Mayhall, Ten Years After, Judy Collins, Gordon Lightfoot, NGDB, Sweathog (yeah, I kinda admit it), Black Sabbath, Ramones (before they were big), NY Dolls (yeah, kinda admit it) and I'll think of more right after I hit POST.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paul revere and the raiders with I can’t remember the other two bands before them. The age of the 45 minute set. Corpus Christi coliseum well known For its poor acoustics. We were in high school. We were already auditorally challenged. So no problem. :headbang:

• Like Like x 3
  11. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I saw Linda Ronstadt at Ravinia festival north of Chicago in the late seventies. I was about 5 and not the decision maker with respect to purchasing tickets and found it to be extremely boring.

ETA: I am told that I heard Ray Charles in utero, but my recollection of that is a bit hazier.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First live concert was in 1982 - Genesis with Phil Collins, aged 20, largest was Springsteen and the E Street band in 1987 at the “old” Wembley, 90,000 crowd

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Ethel the tree...

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. abandapart77

abandapart77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My dad was at that show too. Also Woodstock. He grew up in NY and "got to see all the cool bands". Still jealous.

Technically my first concert was John Denver. Parents took me. Had more fun watching the raccoon in the rafters.
    First show I bought tickets to was Metallica with Danzig & Suicidal Tendencies. Hundreds of concerts later (and 15-20 Metallica shows) its still one of my favorite memories.

Karn Evil #9 - March Madness
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. TexasLady

TexasLady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Beatles - 1964

• Like Like x 2
  16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the summer of '69 (insert Bryan Adams reference here) I don't recall much publicity about Woodstock until it was all over. That was about the time I "graduated" from AM Top 40 to FM AOR and as I think back I don't recall hearing much about it on either media as it was happening except for things like reports of traffic jams. I did know a few (not many) kids who actually did go, and many more who claimed to have gone :) :) but honestly, I don't think I would have enjoyed it. I was not (and still am not) the outdoorsy type at all and hearing about people having to eat and (try to) sleep in the rain and the mud made me glad I was not there, no matter who (pun semi-intended) was performing.

Another "Summer Of 69" (tm) thing I don't remember hearing about until it was long over was Stonewall. I don't remember hearing anything about it on the media at the time (they did, in that era, cover things like the racial unrest very thoroughly) and that was an area of the city that we kids just stayed out of, so I didn't hear about it until it was history.

17. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First concert I ever saw was Quite Riot. I was a senior in high school and went with a group of McDonald's co-workers. My ears rang for the next 2 days.

• Like Like x 1
  18. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the local/Boston band The Del Fuegos around 1985 maybe. Playing in our small town so it was a big deal. After that I saw U2 so that was the first biggie.

A low strip trip? Could be….
    Boom! A comp arrives and I can’t say no
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Joeman

Joeman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Billy Squire in 1991 at FlaVet Field at the University of Florida. It was one of 3 free concerts I attended that year. The other two were .38 Special and The Smithereens.

My first and only stadium show was Genesis in 1992 at the "Big Sombrero" in Tampa. The concert lasted a full 10 minutes. Phil Collins was fighting off a throat infection, and his voice gave out during their second song. Concert cancelled, but we did get a refund.

20. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That had to be an awesome show.