1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First job!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LVHooked, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtf

jtf Low-Roller

LOL - I grew up on a farm. I know what you mean...

2. meliphilus

meliphilus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First full time job at 15 yrs as service station attendant (1967-68). Summer hrs were 7am-8pm with time off for lunch and dinner, Mon- Sat. Started at $.75/hr. Gas was often < $.40/gal. I pumped gas, fixed flats, washed cars, changed oil and drove the road service truck ( no DL).

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paper boy on an afternoon route, had a green Huffy extended frame Stingray bike with slick rear tire, banana seat, a sissy bar and saddle bag wire baskets over the rear wheel plus a canvas bag slung over my shoulder for overflow. Collections were on Thursdays.

4. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

I babysat and mowed lawns for cash long before I started paying taxes. At 15 I had a worker's permit so I could work part-time as a receptionist for a realtor/mortgage/title company. I think I started at 4.25/hr. I made more babysitting, but it was easier work. I did both until I picked up a second part-time job at 17. Almost forgot at 11-12, my mom worked at a gas station. She'd use me to stock shelves, dust candy and count cigarettes. That would never happen today, lol.

5. Rubos

Rubos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool subject! 12-16 I was a Saturday boy at a butchers including full time in summer, 16-17 worked in a men's retailer Saturday's and summer.

Glad my parents got me the work ethic as soon as possible!

6. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first job was at 13 years old back in 1992. Minimum wage was $4.25/hour and it was a seasonal gig here in Minnesota. The company made Christmas wreaths (like the ones you can usually buy from Boy Scouts). I started in the "pine cone room" where the job was actually putting the bow and pine cones on each wreath with wire. There was an older (probably 18) kid who kind of kept an eye on everyone to make sure there was no slackers and would yell like a maniac. Eventually I was moved up to the "swag wreath room" where I actually got to make the wreaths. I thought it was awesome on pay day, but damn the job sucked. I believe it was the only place that a kid of my age could work at the time so there wasn't much of a choice. Every year I still buy 2 from a local boy scout and think of the days in that crazy building. In hindsight, I am pretty sure there was tons of labor laws broken at this place and would love to see how they operate 23 years later!

7. jtf

jtf Low-Roller

My first job with a pay check was running a summer recreation program for a small town. I saw a flyer on the bulletin board at the local college, and since I didn't have anything with me to write the information down, I just grabbed the flyer. I went to the interview and they said they would get back with me. The next week the man called me in and offered me the job. He told me I was the only person who applied. He was puzzled they didn't get more applications. I asked, "Where did you advertise?" He said they had put a flyer up at the local college. I realized I must have taken the flyer down shortly after they posted it. I didn't tell him that though.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was 16. Worked for a fabricator and installer of industrial insulation. 2.50/hour. Most I wasted on women and the rest went in to new Century skis, Look bindings and Raichle boots. But most of the time we just effed around on the forklifts. I did put my right middle finger in a band saw that summer.

9. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

I had my 1st job right after I turned 16, bagging groceries and pushing carts at a grocery store for $3.35/hr. I was promoted about 3 months later to cashier. It was union so regular raises, and I had health insurance after 90 days. By the time I was a senior they were paying me $7.75/hr. They paid time and a half on Sunday and double time plus holiday pay for every holiday I worked so that was a plus. It was a pretty good job for a high school kid.

10. rolotumasi

rolotumasi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first job was when I was 15 years old (1985) I sold tickets/programs/popcorn for the Albany Patroons of the Continental Basketball Association sort of the triple-A of the NBA at that time. Phil Jackson, Bill Mussleman and George Karl coached the team at different times while I worked there and Scott Brooks and Mario Elle played for the team. In 1988 they won the league title while I was working and Michael Ray Richardson fresh off his NBA suspension was on that team. At some point during the season the league made every employee of the team take a drug test. I passed but the letter sent to my house said I should be checked A.S.A.P. by a doctor because I show signs of Diabetes. I already had it for 7 years at that point but nice they were looking out for me.

11. Ernie Vegas

Ernie Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You stole my bike!

12. Guy

Guy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first job was working in a seafront gift shop in my home town, selling tat to tourists - such as sticks of rock, novelty tea towels and Kiss-Me-Quick hats.

13. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first job was at 15 years old as a junior counselor at a YMCA camp. The pay was $80 per week. We were there 24 hours a day and slept in cabins. They provided all meals at the dining hall and there was nowhere to spend your money. The days consisted of horseback riding, sailing, water skiing etc. I loved that job.

At 16, I started bagging groceries at $3.35 an hour. No unions in Texas and tipping was the norm. It was not at all unusual to be handed .25 per bag delivered to the cars. I worked about 30 hours a week and accumulated money faster than I could spend it. Those were the days.....

14. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting forum.........just told my 28 yrs old son about my first job. Besides the cannery ( CPC),( every kid growing up in Honolulu probably worked at the cannery), my first real job was at a tire repair shop. My hourly wage............. 85 cents and hour, my junior year in HS. Bossman later raised it to $1.15 an hr. My senior year out of HS, before college, I worked for a roofing company out of Oakland Ca. Apparently they had a big job in Hawaii and used "grunts" like me to shovel gravel on rooftops. My hourly wages..........$4.00 hr. Man was that a ton of money than. However there was on thing bad about that job. The company usually ( like almost every week) had only enough to cash the checks of about 15 laborers ( employed about 25 total, including office people) and so all the guys would speed down to the bank and wait in line. In line you would literally count the number of guys in front of you, hoping there were less than 15. All the checks cashed the following Weds but who wanted to wait that long? Those were the days.

15. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

My first job was when I was in college and i did clerical work at the UCLA HIV clinic.

16. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like a lot of people in this thread it seems, my first job was at a grocery store, like my brother. I started as a cashier at $5.85/hr, 70 cents above minimum.

17. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol tring. My first job was at a grocery store as well. However, I stocked shelves

18. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sold Cokes and programs at the stadium for the local major college football team at about 12-13. I learned quickly that the student section preferred Sprite and they referred to me as Mr. Mixer. They were shitty tippers but they made up for it in volume.

When I got my driver's license, my first real job was at Osco Drug (Midwesterners: do those still exist?) I made $4.35 - a full dime above minimum wage.

Strangely enough, I also got my first "job" in the back seat of a Ford Taurus wagon in a parking lot behind said Osco Drug. :wink2:

19. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Barely. They only exist in Jewel supermarkets now, which are mostly in the Chicagoland area.

20. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I delivered Catalogues because my neighbor was in charge of it. My second job was walking around a pharmacy on a Sunday for 4 hours watching young girls who the owners were convinced were going to steal. I never caught anyone, however, I was reported a few times by customers as "suspicious looking". I was eventually hired by that same pharmacy to work in the post office, which I did all through high school

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.