1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First class worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With having my outbound flight paid for I am now shopping for a return flight. Options are there a the way with the cheapest at this point being southwest nonstop one way if 217 which is a strong option at this point but the draw back is a130am arrival and I have to be at work by 4am same day.

Having said that, looking at delta I can get a slew of return flights that would get me home at a better time for not much more.

The real point of this thread is about first class. The delta return is around 250+~ and for around 200 more I can buy a first class ticket. Iv never flown first class but the idea has me thinking it could be nice for a old redneck like me sitting there with some who think they are elite. Other than bigger seats and a charging port for my device I don't see much else I'd use, I don't really drink and so for me the only real value I'm seeing is that I'd get able to scratch it off my bucket list of things I'd line to experience.

2. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To the average person, it's not worth it. But it's definitely an experience that you should at least do once. However, I'd rather do it heading to my destination instead of on the return trip home. It'd make for a great start to your trip.

With first class you get early boarding, a bathroom that you only share with like 8 people, hot towel service, free alcohol, and they'll hang your coat for you. I've always enjoyed it, especially when I get to eat. I had the best oatmeal of my life on a first class American Airlines flight from DFW to DC.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only flown 1st class once and that was because we were bumped off an earlier flight, so it was free. I personally don't think it's worth $200 more.

Nice big, roomy seats and drink service but since you don't drink...

imho, I'd save the $200 for another Vegas trip.

As far as the SWA option, that really sounds brutal unless you keep the room that night and take a nap. If you're planning on checking out at noon and then killing the day until about a 8PM (guess) flight, not something I would even consider if I had to be at work ~2 hrs after landing.

Back in the day, we used to catch the redeye out of Vegas and get home at 7am. We both worked at 2 PM, so we would get home and take a nap, then go to work. It saved a day of vacation, but we felt like crap all day at work, even with the nap. However, better to feel bad at work, then at home!:poke:

4. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Domestic first class is exactly as pathetic as you describe. Its a bigger seat and not much else, especially if you don't drink. If you're really tall or really fat the extra room might mean more. None of these domestic flights have legitimate lie-flat first class seats, so while they are more comfortable to sleep on than coach seats, not a whole lot so. The meal service is about the quality of the meals that used to come free in coach. Sometimes worse. On a recent trip to Vegas in the morning my breakfast in first class was a bowl of cheerios and a banana. International first is an experience, domestic first is just something you bear a little easier than flying coach.

But even though there's no big benefit, I'd do it for $200. That is nothing. But whether that's worth the cost or not is up to you.

As far as being among the people who think they are elite, if you see someone who thinks they are elite for flying domestic first you should slap them upside the head. First of all its a pretty easy upgrade a lot of times and most of the passengers are on upgrades, and second its like feeling elite because the Greyhound bus driver called you sir.

5. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its a nice upgrade if you can get it cheap.. otherwise not worth it - you land at the same time as everyone else.

saying that I did do it in march because I was travelling to las from the east coast and back, had an overnight flight and on the way there was going from work to las then partying - nice to have some comfort on the way.

but I only really did it because I was paying in points and it wasn't much more for 1st than coach (25% more points that I already had in the bank).

definitely worth it internationally though!!

6. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good insight.

The southwest option is brutal. I may do it and just call off work that day, I was already told I can't get it off.

7. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on the same page as those who would do it for $200 on a Vegas flight of any decent length. I wouldn't do it normally for work commuting at that price, but in the grand scheme of a Vegas trip budget, to me its worth taking $200 out of the gambling budget for the extra luxury and space.

The main thing that keeps me from doing first class more often is the service on American has been horrible---hard to get more than a couple drinks. I mean its hit and miss, sometimes its great, but I've had bad service more often than great service. Usually for me its the combination of extra space and not having to pay for luggage that makes it worthwhile.

8. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did it on one of my trips last year because I was booking late and the price of coach was only $100 less than first class. The benefits to me were bigger seat and more legroom, a couple of drinks (served before we even took off!), a decent sandwich, and luggage first off the carousel in Vegas. Since I am coming from the east coast, my flights are long so I quite enjoyed it, I normally fly SWA and those flights are always full & I hate touching strangers :Þ I still had to connect but it was nice to know I had a nice seat waiting for me. If I see it again for cheap I will do it, but I don't think it's quite worth $200.

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread makes me miss Midwest Airlines. For many years I flew them to/from Vegas. Non stop flight. The whole plane was 2 across, wide leather seats. Free unlimited wine/champagne, food was served on china, steak, shrimp, etc... And after the meal they baked chocolate chip cookies on board and each customer got them right out of the oven. All for the price of coach on other airlines. But when the economy tanked the airline struggled and was eventually bought by Republic, who sucked up the assets and shut down the airline.

I agree with the comments above, if I was going to splurge on first class I'd do it for the outbound flight to Vegas. But I probably wouldn't do it at all.

10. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i fly first all the time, how long is the flight also may i suggest preiumium economy is a great option only around 25$ much more leg room

first class of the old in 70's and 80's when you got dressed up is over.

also see what type of plane and what the seats are some are much better than others in first.

are you an alcholic then first is great free booze:thumbsup:

i cant fly swa for flights over an hour to many crying babbies and i hate there bording proccess

11. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown first class quite a few times and you would probably be surprised that its not just the elite or rich that fly first class - for most airlines if they still have any first class seats available on the day of the flight they will usually offer them on a first come basis to passengers as they check in, often for rates as low as $25-50... so in some cases all it takes to fly first class is a few dollars and getting to the airport a little early.

As far as first class goes, the benefits that are most likely to get used are:

- First class lounge at the airport. This is a quiet retreat with free food and drink and big comfy chairs. There is free wifi and often computers (or even a whole business center) that are free to use.

- You get to the board the airplane first. While everybody else is lined up and waiting in the big queue down the aisle to get to their seats you can be sitting there relaxing.

- Big seats, lots of leg room and the seats usually recline back further than in coach.

- Hot towel. I really don't understand the hot towel thing but almost every time I've flown first they've offered a hot towel. You can usually ask for a warmed up blanket instead.

- Drinks. There is usually a bottle of water waiting for you at your seat when you sit down and the flight attendants will come around before other passengers board (or as the initial wave are boarding) to take your drink order. You can order alcohol, soda, water, coffee, tea, etc and the drinks are free and they serve you right away.

- Food. The food you get is a lot better than what is served in coach. I've been on flights where all coach got was a choice between a little bag of peanuts or a little bag of pretzels but in first class they gave us each a bowl of veggies and dip (tomato, cucumber, carrots, celery, broccoli, etc) and then a hot sandwich and cup of soup.

- First class bathrooms. If you gotta go... there are usually two bathrooms up front for first class passengers and crew only that are bigger than the regular bathrooms at the back of the plane.

- When you arrive at your gate you are usually the first off. This is actually a pretty big perk to me because I really just want to get out of there once we finally arrive at our destination.

12. bbbbcccc

bbbbcccc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said, it isn't a big deal. Delta doesn't have first class, they only have business elite. It is almost nothing domestically, and not much better internationally.

If you are really interested in it, I suggest you search youtube. People who fly in the front of planes are compelled to post videos of the experience for some reason. You can look at the Delta experience on a bunch of flights and see the food, drinks, seats, etc.

13. ttom

ttom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not much better internationally is personal opinion and one I would disagree with.

14. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i aggree i only fly first class if not sleeper bed on all international flights and its the only way to travel.

from full beds to great meals ,to getting thru customs first its the only way to fly:thumbsup:

15. dcavisitor

dcavisitor Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not true. Delta absolutely has First Class - its domestic front cabin product is literally called "First Class." Internationally, yes, only a Business Elite cabin and no "International First Class." Given this question is about a domestic flight, the operative cabin in question is First Class. And there is actually quite a difference as between int'l and domestic but that seems off topic.

16. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why then pay $200 extra for no big benefit?

Is this a high-siddity moment?

17. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Because for $200 I think the fairly modest benefits are worth it. But my experience is flying from NY which is a longer flight and more expensive in the first place. The flights I was looking at for this weekend were over $900 in coach when I first looked, but the saver award using miles was available. So no cash outlay for the ticket and $200 upgrade to first would be worth it for the 5+ hour flight. The OP is from Ohio which is a shorter flight and like I said, he needs to decide if its worth $200 to him. All anyone else can do is tell him what type of benefits he can expect.

EDITED TO ADD: BTW I had to look up high-siddity. Always cool to learn a new phrase. :thumbsup:

18. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Virgin America to Vegas from SFO. If you time your ticket purchase properly, it's not a ton more to fly first class. Their first class is SO nice, and worth every penny. It's the only way I go now :)

19. bboy554

bboy554 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's on your bucket list, do it! But complete waste of money. If anything, I think it's really uncomfortable when I fly first class and everyone walks by sneering at me. (never fly it when I'm the one paying....I'm a cheapskate!). To me, having entertainment like TV/internet/iPad/decent book is what matters when flying. It makes the time go by much quicker.

20. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where are you flying to? I have flown to/from Vegas several times in first on Delta but from/to Atlanta. It is totally not worth it if the flight is less than around 3 hrs. They don't serve food on the short flights, nor do you get the hot towel service. You do not get to use the Sky Club unless you pay for it, separately from your flight. Planes vary, so you have to see what type of plane it is when you are checking prices. Not all have outlets; some planes have the small personal screens in front of you, some don't even have a screen for everyone to watch. Lots of factors to consider!
    My husband is Diamond with Delta. (not really bragging, I would really rather he didn't travel so much) Vegas is by far the hardest flight to get upgraded on. Most flights will upgrade within a day or two of the flight, Vegas is usually less than 2 hrs before or even when he gets on the plane. Seems like they think a lot of people will pay last minute for upgrades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.