1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fine Dining with Children possible?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Mistaspakles, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Mistaspakles

Mistaspakles Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am planning a Grand Canyon trip for my fam (wife, 8yr old and 3yr old). I have been to Vegas many times, but has mostly been solo. I do enjoy good food, but when I'm solo, I usually stick to "non sit-down" type places, so I've never really been to many high end establishments. I would like to take my wife out somewhere nice on one of those nights, but without a babysitter, the kids would probably be in tow. My question is...what is the etiquette on bringing kids to a place like Robuchon, Le Cirque or SW Steakhouse. If it is not the norm, then I will skip it entirely. TIA

2. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I have ever seen a child at LeCirque.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi @Mistaspakles - it’s possible but I would caution you that it all depends on your kids. We’ve taken our kids to nice Vegas restaurants since they were infants/toddlers. They’re both pretty mellow & well behaved. We used to bring McDonald’s chicken nuggets in to feed them until some folks at the Italian Restaurant at MGM (forgot the name) scolded us for having the bag on the table. Most restaurants will have something to serve the kids or have a means to get it from room service.

I’ve never eaten at any of the three restaurants you listed. I’d say if you could make it through dinner without your kids disturbing other diners or stressing you and/or your wife out, then you’ll be fine.

I would suggest maybe finding a place with an enclosed booth, like Craftsteak at MGM, for privacy. The kids sit in the middle with you & your wife on the ends

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  4. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is definitely NOT the norm to bring kids to Le Cirque or Robuchon and neither place is suitable for a 3 year old. That said, there is a huge gulf between “non sit down” and the formality of Michelin starred haute cuisine. A good steakhouse can be perfectly approachable for/with kids. A lot depends on them, their experience in restaurants, and their patience.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd call or email ahead to see what their policies are, what meals they can provide to kids, if they can provide privacy screens or something else if you desire them etc.

I would also say that if you make sure that they're well behaved and reasonably quiet then most people will probably be OK with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never seen a restaurant frown upon children....just the opposite.

Take the family and enjoy!!!

7. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep in mind that a meal Robuchon Le Cirque can be 2-3 hours long.

8. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t believe SW allows kids. And, as mentioned, I don’t think it would be appropriate to take them to a Robuchon or Le Cirque (plus, I assume it wouldn’t be too pleasant for the kids). But, as @dankyone mentioned, I think you’ll find plenty of options for an excellent meal where the kids are welcomed. I would definitely call any place you’re interested in to make sure they will accommodate kids and will have food options for them.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would most definitely either hire a sitter (back decades ago, at least, hotels would have sitters available) or go to a more family-friendly place.

10. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yelp has an attribute of Good for Kids which may help. also found this:

https://vegas.eater.com/maps/best-kid-friendly-restaurants-las-vegas

Fine dining and kids is tough, as most fine dining meals are lengthy, multi-hour affairs which may try their patience. But as mentioned, it really depends upon the kids.

For "nice" with good food, Yardbird comes to mind and should be kid friendly. It's not top tier fine dining, white tablecloth, etc., but the food is very good southern food.

Edit to add, did a yelp filter and noticed that Hell's Kitchen is listed as good for kids. Sure those who have eaten there could opine, but that may be a good option for what you're looking for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would also suggest OP find out when the first seating is (usually 5:30) and go at that time. Restaurants are usually less crowded then, so the service is faster. Your family will be able to get in & out faster

There are other restaurants where the noise level is high despite it being a nice restaurant so your kids’ noise will blend in with the restaurant noise (unless they’re screaming).

12. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. It's just very dependent on the kids. My parents would take my younger sister to nice restaurants and it was fine; they tried it with my younger brother, and he ran around screaming. It also depends on their taste, as a place like Robuchon will almost certainly not have kid-friendly dishes unless they're already adventurous eaters. I'm not going to pass judgment on the "appropriate" part, but it's unlikely they'd enjoy it.

I've been to Hell's Kitchen with friends' kids, and it was fine. I'd try to find something in the middle -- not McDonald's, but probably not Picasso either.

13. Mistaspakles

Mistaspakles Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all. I'll probably save it for the next time the wife and I are in Vegas without the kids. When my now 7yr old was 2, we took her to Disney and Vegas. I remember eating dinner at Olives and had outdoor seating to watch the fountain show. I remember asking the host and she said it was no problem at all. Although I would assume Le Cirque/Roubouchon/SW is a bit of a higher level than Olives was back then.

• Like Like x 2
  14. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A place like Mon Ami Gabi with patio seating great fountain view might be a decent compromise

15. JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the thing...unless you feel like your children are so well behaved that they won't disturb other diners, I'd recommend a family friendly alternative. My son was very well behaved in restaurants when he was young. This wasn't just luck, but was because he was taught to have "restaurant manners" and reminded of it EACH time we went out to eat--didn't matter if it was Pizza Hut or fine dining. I always had a special kid backpack that had quiet small tots/games/books that could keep him occupied, and were only used for trips to restaurants. It worked for us.

I am constantly amazed to see how some folks let their kids scream and run around in restaurants--all types of restaurants. It's one thing if it's a McDonald's play land or Chucky Cheese, but even in a run of the mill Olive Garden or TGI Fridays...it is unfair to other diners. I was blessed to have a good enough job that allowed us to go out to eat quite frequently, but I know there are others for whom going out dining is a BIG deal, maybe only on special occasions like an anniversary. So let's say a couple goes out for their anniversary, goes to the trouble of hiring a sitter, and goes to their favorite place that they've been looking forward to, only to be seated next to a family that has no behavior expectations for their children?

It's just my opinion, based on my experience, that unless you are confident that there won't be any meltdowns, maybe choose a family restaurant so that there's a little more flexibility in the environment for the kids.

• Agree Agree x 1