1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fave Hawai'ian Island?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jan 8, 2013.

?

What is your favorite Hawai'ian Island?

1. Oahu

30.8%
  2. Kauai

15.4%
  3. Maui

30.8%
  4. Big Island

15.4%
  5. Lanai

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Molokai

7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We were working over the weekend on different aspects of our Hawai'i trips set for this year, and it got me to thinking what island folks prefer. So ...

I need to preface my reply with the caveat that we've never been to Lanai or Molokai. Having said that, we'd pick Kauai more times than not over the others. Big Island would be second.

2. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    P.S. Sorry I didn't include the "9th" Hawai'ian Island!

3. rustytrombone1027

rustytrombone1027 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, only been to Oahu and Maui, so Maui it is. Haleakala and Road to Hana enough for me.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Difficult to answer! I've had fun everywhere in Hawaii!

I answered Oahu, since that's where most of the action is.

Big island is more laid back. Really enjoyed going to the volcano park and the south end of the island.

Maui is gaw-jus! I survived the road to Hana! :) (I was the one driving most of the way.) Still wanna see the sunrise from the mountain.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it all depends on what you want for your vacation.

Oahu is where the general population visits. waikiki beach, diamond head, all the shopping centers and the night life. pearl harbor if you want to see the past and the start of WWII for the US, hanauma bay to snorkel and see fishes in natural setting, go north to see monster waves during the winter and the polynesian cultural center to see people from other island countries.

Kauai is for quiet time, those that like nature, like the (very) slow pace, want to see the grand canyon of the pacific or do hiking in remote areas. Kauai closes up after 9 pm, there aren't many things open later at night. Travel up to princeville resort and see bali hai.

The big island is the newest island. very large, people go there to see the volcano and can hike in to see lava flows (when they are running). I was able to walk right up to the lava flow and feel the heat. Burned my shoes, I didn't realize that I was walking on freshly laid lava, my soles partially melted! You can also walk in old lava tubes. A number of resorts that offer a good selection of golf, spas, some shopping and beautiful sunsets (but then all the islands offer beautiful sunsets).

Maui seems to be the favorite for tourists. It contains a little of the Honolulu scene and yet some of the remoteness of Kauai. awesome views of the neighbor islands, you can go snorkelling at molokini, a nature reserve with tons of fish to watch. They have major resort areas like kapalua, kaanapali and wailea but you can also spend time in remote areas like Hana or visit Haleakala and see the sunrise or even hike into the crater and spend a few days hiking and getting a feel like it would be on the moon or mars. I went to school on Maui but hardly go there nowdays, too touristy, lol.

Lanai is where you want to spend time with your SO. Bill Gates closed off the entire island when he was married and booked most of the large hotels to prevent paparazzi from coming. Lanai is another place where you can relax and do nothing and recharge your batteries away from the hectic pace. There are activities available, golf, spa, mini putt, horseback riding, skeet shooting, hiking, shooting pool and snorkelling. They serve tea in the afternoon at one hotel. There are 2 major resorts on the island and another small hotel in town.

Molokai is another out of the way place. their major resort closed down a number of years ago but there are still places where you can stay. You can ride a mule down to kalaupapa, the old hansens disease colony. Not as popular since the resort closed down but still a place to get away from it all.

6. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makikiboy is very accurate on his info.

I like Waikiki because of all the reasons Makikiboy said about Oahu.

My style of visiting Hawaii is to first fly to Oahu and stay for a few days at
    a Waikiki beach hotel. Take the local bus all around the island and see everything at the price of a bus ticket.lol.

I even took the bus to Hanauma Bay to go swimming.lol. I saw the north shore too, diamond head, pineapple and coffee plantations, etc.
    Their shopping Mall is the ultimate because they have everything to buy.

I also take a 7 cruise ship out of Oahu to see the other islands. Then return back to Oahu and spend some more days in Waikiki for final shopping at the
    International Market-Place.

There are also 14-15 day cruises that leave out of Los Angeles that go to Hawaii islands. The main problem is that there are 4 days of sea days going and 4 days of sea days returning. That wouldn't bother me if I had someone to cruise with me. Lucy

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd go with Maui

Good balance of things to do ,nice beaches ,golf hotels and scenic areas to enjoy. I think less rain than the other islands ,correct me if I'm wrong.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on where you are. Every island has its wet/dry side. Doubt any place gets less rain than Kohala.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good reasons stated for all the islands. That's the beauty of it; for all being small hunks of lava in the middle of the ocean, age, topography and development render a surprising amount of diversity. Putting it another way, there's an island for everyone.

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to Kaanapali twice

Never had a drop of rain there that I recall.Maybe I'm just lucky.

11. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like both Maui and Kauai.
    Got married on airport beach in Maui and honeymooned at Princeville on Kauai.
    Visited other islands but those two are my favorite.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kaanapali. Much drier than Kapalua, though only, what?, 12 miles apart.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you are very fortunate. This past week there was a pro golf tournament on maui, hyundai tournament of champions. They were delayed for 3 days and only played yesterday and today. Too much rain and a lot of wind, they couldn't keep the ball on the greens or tees.

Actually I think the kona side of the big island has less rain than the other islands but the lahaina side of Maui also doesn't have much rain.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That tourney is just wrapping up right now -- DJ and Strick are heading to 18.

Coore/Crenshaw built the Plantation Course with the ever-present winds in mind, and you can see it in the yardages, the green contours and particularly the fairways. Now when the Kona winds blow or the trades are out of whack as this year ... look out.

Last time I played Plantation, I teed off in sun, had my rain gear on by the third tee, off on four, back on hitting my second at five, etc. lol

15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only been to the Big Island but I can't imagine liking any of the others better.

16. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to Kauai, Oahu, and the big island. I'm choosing Kauai; love the variety of scenery and the non-touristy feel of it. Hope to get back some day soon (maybe next year...)

17. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those sea days with all the down time are one of the reasons the Hawaii 14-15 dayers are my favorite cruises (on Princess). I do that trip every year along with a handful of 7-day ones.

Bill

18. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maui is my sentimental favorite since we stayed at the Hyatt Regency Kaanapali for our honeymoon in 1985, and love the Kapalua area. But Kauai is a close second for its natural beauty and laid-back feel.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My parents have done that longer cruise to the islands. I think I'd go batshitz being out on open water that long, and then only bouncing around the islands in an "If it's Tuesday, This Must be Belgium" fashion. Maybe we could try something like flying to one island, hanging around for a bit, doing the inter-island thing, then concluding on the last island for a spell prior to jetting home.

We've never seen the live lava. Madame P was acting up the first time we were there and they actually evacuated the park. This summer I was only on the BI for five nights and it was all golf golf golf. Next time! Hard to argue with the size and diversity of the BI; from island-building to a tropical desert on the shore to the tallest mountains in the world to rainforest. And Kona coffee! I can't really muster up a better overall golf island, either.

But there's just something about Kauai. (Oh, and Wailea-Makena and the upcountry of Maui, too. And Hana. And the stoners at the awesome bakery by the airport.)

Hell, I like the islands, I guess.

Our September Kauai trip is to Poipu. We've rented a house on the water and it's a family get together: Hale Mahana Kai

We're trying to get our former neighbors to come over before, and then the four of us will rent a place in Haena to get the anti-Poipu experience: Tropical Bamboo Hideaway

Gotta do Molokai, I know.

20. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hawaii cruises

Hey Bill, Did you get an e-mail from Princess cruiseline? They are having a great deal at $900. for a 14 day cruise. You have to call them to find out
    more info. since it is not public information on most websites. Lucy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.